Wild finish at GENT...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Crystal, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    Wow... cool finish... just read it on eurosport.com...

    16:13 It's the final sprint!!!! It's going to be close with Boonen, Klier and Vogels...
    17:16 ANDREAS KLIER WINS!!!!
    18:16 But Vogels pushes Boonen wide and Boonen collides with a photographer!!!! Boonen literally
    flips and crashes hard, landing on his hip...ouch!!!! Boonen is furious!!!

    If anyone has a video link to this finish, can they post it here...

    Thanks Crystal

    Tags:

  2. "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Wow... cool finish... just read it on eurosport.com...
    >
    > 16:13 It's the final sprint!!!! It's going to be close with Boonen, Klier and Vogels...
    > 16:16 ANDREAS KLIER WINS!!!!
    > 16:16 But Vogels pushes Boonen wide and Boonen collides with a photographer!!!! Boonen literally
    > flips and crashes hard, landing on his hip...ouch!!!! Boonen is furious!!!
    >
    > If anyone has a video link to this finish, can they post it here...
    >
    > Thanks Crystal

    Why was Cipollini DQ'd?

    -T

  3. On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:17:25 GMT, Tom Schulenburg wrote:
    >Why was Cipollini DQ'd?

    Throwing a full water bottle to a motorbike rider. It wasn't really clear why. He fell before,
    but the biker said he certainly wasn't in the way there. He may have been in the way when Cipo
    was consulting his team car a little later on. Apparently he threw 2 bidons but we only got to
    see one flying.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    All three of them were on the podium, so it looks like he is not hurt too bad.

    What is strange to me is seeing a Navigators jersey on the podium of a classic race.

    http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/3719.0.html

  5. Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:17:25 GMT, Tom Schulenburg wrote:
    >> Why was Cipollini DQ'd?
    >
    > Throwing a full water bottle to a motorbike rider. It wasn't really clear why. He fell before,
    > but the biker said he certainly wasn't in the way there. He may have been in the way when Cipo
    > was consulting his team car a little later on. Apparently he threw 2 bidons but we only got to
    > see one flying.

    It looked like Cipo was coasting off his team car and an official on a bike rode up and said
    something about it. Apparently this was enough to throw him into a fit. Because he was really
    pissed. Actually the second water bottle was thrown in such a way that it would have toppled the MC
    off the road if it had hit smack on. Now it just barely missed his face. He ought to be out of more
    races than just a DQ on this one.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  6. Laff

    Laff Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > > On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:17:25 GMT, Tom Schulenburg wrote:
    > >> Why was Cipollini DQ'd?
    > >
    > > Throwing a full water bottle to a motorbike rider. It wasn't really clear why. He fell before,
    > > but the biker said he certainly wasn't in the way there. He may have been in the way when Cipo
    > > was consulting his team car a little later on. Apparently he threw 2 bidons but we only got to
    > > see one flying.
    >
    > It looked like Cipo was coasting off his team car and an official on a
    bike
    > rode up and said something about it. Apparently this was enough to throw
    him
    > into a fit. Because he was really pissed. Actually the second water bottle was thrown in such a
    > way that it would have toppled the MC off the road if it had hit smack on. Now it just barely
    > missed his face. He ought to be out of more races than just a DQ on this one.

    Bravo Mario!

    BRAVO!!!!!!

  7. Bart

    Bart Guest

    LOL

    the motordriver said he had been using the horn a LOT to get passed Cipo. In his frustration, he got
    a bit 'annoyed' it seems.

  8. Tim Zlogar

    Tim Zlogar Guest

    The Cyclingnews live report says that Cipo thought that this was the motorcycle that caused his
    crash which is why he through his bidon. Turns out it was actually a rather unpopular UCI
    commissaire riding on that moto.

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

  10. Lars

    Lars Guest

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > All three of them were on the podium, so it looks like he is not hurt
    too
    > > bad.
    > >
    > > What is strange to me is seeing a Navigators jersey on the podium of a classic race.
    > >
    > > http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/3719.0.html
    > >

    > How many times did Hincapie race GW before he made the podium? Dave

    Perhaps Tom Boonen knows the answer to that one.

  11. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "Tim Zlogar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Cyclingnews live report says that Cipo thought that this was the motorcycle that caused his
    > crash which is why he through his bidon. Turns out it was actually a rather unpopular UCI
    > commissaire riding on that moto.

    That was said on Belgian TV, but don't you think it's hard for live reporters to know what a rider
    is thinking.... They also said the motorbiker was Benoni Beheyt.

    Seeing the scene back in the evening, the horn behind Cipo was VERY present and he was looking
    back a lot.

  12. "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tim Zlogar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > The Cyclingnews live report says that Cipo thought that this was the motorcycle that caused his
    > > crash which is why he through his bidon. Turns out it was actually a rather unpopular UCI
    > > commissaire riding on that moto.
    >
    > That was said on Belgian TV, but don't you think it's hard for live reporters to know what a rider
    > is thinking.... They also said the motorbiker was Benoni Beheyt.

    Well, it wasn't him. Right after the race they interviewed him (forgot his name). He had no idea
    why Cipo had done this. The newspaper today suggested that Cipo was just frustrated that after his
    fall none of his teammates waited for him and then the motor came by while he was talking to his
    team director.

    Erik

  13. Tony

    Tony Guest

    > How many times did Hincapie race GW before he made the podium?

    1997, 16th 1999, 4th 2000, 26th 2001, 1st 2002, 3rd

    No results shown on his website for 98

  14. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Well, it wasn't him.

    of course , that's what I meant: journalists make mistakes.

    it wass only translation, but a Cipo interview I read is really pathetic "first I couldn't follow on
    the Kemmel, and then I fell, and then I was ALL ALONE. I felt frustrated. And then that motorbiker
    wanted to force me to ride in the wind. And then his horn!"

    wow.... BRAVO !!!! indeed

  15. "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Erik van Leeuwen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Well, it wasn't him.
    >
    > of course , that's what I meant: journalists make mistakes.
    >
    > it wass only translation, but a Cipo interview I read is really pathetic "first I couldn't follow
    > on the Kemmel, and then I fell, and then I was
    ALL
    > ALONE. I felt frustrated. And then that motorbiker wanted to force me to ride in the wind. And
    > then his horn!"
    >
    > wow.... BRAVO !!!! indeed

    Ghent Wevelgem 2002 and 2003 editions are the only times in Cipo's career that he hasn't had
    teamates' wheels to follow around.

    Last year, it was in a breakaway (very impressive ride), this year off the back of the breakaway
    (when the spoiled child within reared its ugly head).

    I've said it before, Mario behaves himself well when things are going his way. When things don't go
    his way, then he becomes Cippolini, The Gentlman.

    Poor Mario.

    BRAVO!!!