On 18 Feb 2006 07:56:19 -0800, "lavenderblue" <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:
Portobello mushrooms are the same as other store mushrooms (agaricus bisporus) They are a large strain that is grown until the cap is fully expanded, and then lots of money is charged...
Our portobellos are often as cheap as button mushrooms, but we have a *really* good produce store.
That's a WONDERFUL place and quite famous too. Years ago, I got my first visual overdose of mushrooms just from walking through the place. It was hard (at the time) to imagine so many types of mushroom for sale in the same place. --
"lavenderblue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Portobello mushrooms are the same as other store mushrooms (agaricus bisporus) They are a large strain that is grown until the cap is fully expanded, and then lots of money is charged....you can get a kit to grow 'regular store' mushrooms and just not harvest them until they mature and expand their caps. They will be smaller than portobello but taste exactly the same. regards, lavenderblue
Any idea where? I have looked and I really can't purchase from the US. The duty is too high and I don't even know if it would get across the border.
"lavenderblue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Portobello mushrooms are the same as other store mushrooms (agaricus bisporus) They are a large strain that is grown until the cap is fully expanded, and then lots of money is charged....you can get a kit to grow 'regular store' mushrooms and just not harvest them until they mature and expand their caps. They will be smaller than portobello but taste exactly the same. regards, lavenderblue
Any idea where? I have looked and I really can't purchase from the US. The duty is too high and I don't even know if it would get across the border.
MoM
These firms are Canadian, so you needn't worry about it.
"Boron Elgar" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
MoM said:
"lavenderblue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Portobello mushrooms are the same as other store mushrooms (agaricus bisporus) They are a large strain that is grown until the cap is fully expanded, and then lots of money is charged....you can get a kit to grow 'regular store' mushrooms and just not harvest them until they mature and expand their caps. They will be smaller than portobello but taste exactly the same. regards, lavenderblue
Any idea where? I have looked and I really can't purchase from the US. The duty is too high and I don't even know if it would get across the border.
MoM
These firms are Canadian, so you needn't worry about it.