Will an Alexrims DC19 be a good replacement for an XT19 rim for heavy touring??

Chris Gruar

Sep 27, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I'm cycling around the world at the moment, and after 30 000km my rear rim has split (Alex XT19). By some miracle I have just found an Alex DC19 rim here in Laos, and was wondering if this rim is suitable for heavy touring? (700cc 36 spokes) My ride is on a Dawes Super Galaxy 2012, weighed down with six bags in all sorts of terrain. This is probably the only 28inch rim in the country, but I was hoping for some advice about its strength and reliability before I decide to make the purchase. If I replace this rim will it last another 20, 000 kilometrers? Thanks!

Chris
www.cycling4cancer.com

"This is probably the only 28inch rim in the country"

You're in Laos.

You've found the only rim that will fit your bike in the country.

I'ld say, "Go for it!".

The DC19 'looks' to be the stronger of the two.

http://www.alexrims.com/product.asp?sc=1&cat=19&cat2=21

Years ago, I bought a set of cheapo wheels with DC 19 rims. The rims are pretty basic, but built strong. The plated spokes and hubs were ****, I ended up rebuilding the rims with some tiagra hubs and sapim spokes. I usually ran a 25 to 28c tire on them. They roll fine - I put alot of hard miles on them, I weigh 225 and usualy carry about 10 to 30 pounds of **** when commuting or touring.

I started having some spoke breakage in the rear and now they are a backup set - but they rims are still good.

I just noticed...the DC19 looks like it is the stronger profile, but it lacks the stainless steel eyelets. Spoke washer would be necessary.