Williams Carbon Clinchers - Testimonials and Opinions

ScoobDogRider

Sep 24, 2010
Hi,

I am considering upgrading my wheelset to either the 38mm or 58mm full carbon clinchers by Williams Cycling. So far, I've read nothing but good things.

The price point is low, under $1000, but it seems the wheels are as good as Zipps or other well known expensive brands.

Here are links to Williams Cycling for the 38mm and 58mm wheelset.
http://www.williamscycling.com/sys38_clincher.html
http://www.williamscycling.com/sys58_clincher.html

I am seeking opinions, advice, testimonials from avid riders who have been riding on these wheels. How good are they? Do they hold up, stay true, have any problems?

I'm looking to increase bling as well as increase speed (of course along with hard work and training). Trust me, I've read all the threads about carbon wheels making you faster. I understand that hard work and proper training are the main ingredients.

Thank you,
Scott (Dallas, TX)

Ended up buying the Williams System 58s. I've had them for a couple race seasons and LOVE them. Excellent value!!

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on braking relative to alloy rims, especially in the wet if you are so inclined to post. Also, do you know what the width of the rim is at the brake track (outside to outside in mm)? I couldn't see on the specs.

Braking on carbon rims is not as good as alloy, however the new blue pads for carbon wheels that Williams sells works very well. Sorry, I don't have the specs on the rim width...I'd have to take off the tire to measure. Call Keith Williams at [SIZE= 12pt][email protected][/SIZE]. He is very responsive.

i just read in the printed cycling magazine that Mavic is finally coming up with a new Carbon Clincher, Mavic Cosmic Carbon 40, by using the best qualities of both aluminium and carbon, the braking problem on wet conditions is reported to be overcomed, they are also stiff and precise, for competition or training use, also good for braking in long mountain descents, so, price tag 2000 euro :(

vspa said:
i just read in the printed cycling magazine that Mavic is finally coming up with a new Carbon Clincher, Mavic Cosmic Carbon 40, by using the best qualities of both aluminium and carbon, the braking problem on wet conditions is reported to be overcomed, they are also stiff and precise, for competition or training use, also good for braking in long mountain descents, so, price tag 2000 euro :(
That's what Mavic says. We'll see what real world tests say. That's certainly a tall price.

I have purchased a sets of 50mm clincher wheels from speedercycling.com, they use heatresisting resin on the braking surface to stand the high temperature, as know that the major issue with carbon rim is dissipating heat, the wheels work great when i ride descent, no bubbles or bulges in the braking surface, so what's the difference between these wheels, i prefer to get the wheels with low cost from speedercycling.com.