Wins in Grand Tours?

Isidor Gunsberg

Guest
Does anybody have a list of all of the cyclists who have won two of the three "Grand Tours" (EG The
Giro d'Italia, The Tour de France, and Vuelta A Espana), at least one time each in their careers?

That is, I'm look for a list of cyclists who have won:

A) The Tour de France AND the Giro d'Italia

OR B) The Tour de France AND the Vuelta a Espana

OR C) The Giro de Italia AND the Vuelta a Espana

Also, which of cyclists who managed to achieve one of the above, was able to accomplish the feat
in the SAME YEAR?

Finally, how many cyclists have won all three Grand Tours at some point in their career?

Isidor Gunsberg wrote:

> Does anybody have a list of all of the cyclists who have won two of the three "Grand Tours" (EG
> The Giro d'Italia, The Tour de France, and Vuelta A Espana), at least one time each in their
> careers?
>
> That is, I'm look for a list of cyclists who have won:
>
> A) The Tour de France AND the Giro d'Italia
>
> OR B) The Tour de France AND the Vuelta a Espana
>
> OR C) The Giro de Italia AND the Vuelta a Espana
>
> Also, which of cyclists who managed to achieve one of the above, was able to accomplish the feat
> in the SAME YEAR?
>
> Finally, how many cyclists have won all three Grand Tours at some point in their career?

here's a list i got from the info at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veloarchive/riders

sorry if someone is missing or something is incorrect, there are a lot of cyclists to look thru.

Jaques Anquetil 1957 Tour de France 1960 Giro d'Italia 1961 Tour de France 1962 Tour de France 1963
Tour de France Vuelta a España 1964 Tour de France Giro d'Italia

Gino Bartali 1936 Giro d'Italia 1937 Giro d'Italia 1938 Tour de France 1946 Giro d'Italia 1948
Tour de France

Giovanni Battaglin 1981 Giro d'Italia Vuelta a España

Fausto Coppi 1940 Giro d'Italia 1947 Giro d'Italia 1949 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1952 Tour de
France Giro d'Italia 1953 Giro d'Italia

Pedro Delgado 1985 Vuelta a España 1988 Tour de France 1989 Vuelta a España

Laurent Fignon 1983 Tour de France 1984 Tour de France 1989 Giro d'Italia

Charly Gaul 1956 Giro d'Italia 1958 Tour de France 1959 Giro d'Italia

Felice Gimondi 1965 Tour de France 1967 Giro d'Italia 1968 Vuelta a España 1969 Giro d'Italia 1976
Giro d'Italia

Bernard Hinault 1978 Tour de France Vuelta a España 1979 Tour de France 1980 Giro d'Italia 1981 Tour
de France 1982 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1983 Vuelta a España 1985 Tour de France Giro d'Italia

Miguel Indurain 1991 Tour de France 1992 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1993 Tour de France Giro
d'Italia 1994 Tour de France 1995 Tour de France

Jan Janssen 1967 Vuelta a España 1968 Tour de France

Hugo Koblet 1950 Giro d'Italia 1951 Tour de France

Eddy Merckx 1968 Giro d'Italia 1969 Tour de France 1970 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1971 Tour de
France 1972 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1973 Giro d'Italia Vuelta a España 1974 Tour de France
Giro d'Italia

Gastone Nencini 1957 Giro d'Italia 1960 Tour de France

Luis Ocaña 1970 Vuelta a España 1973 Tour de France

Marco Pantani 1998 Tour de France Giro d'Italia

Roger Pingeon 1967 Tour de France 1969 Vuelta a España

Stephen Roche 1987 Tour de France Giro d'Italia

Toni Rominger 1992 Vuelta a España 1993 Vuelta a España 1994 Vuelta a España 1995 Giro d'Italia

Jan Ullrich 1997 Tour de France 1999 Vuelta a España

Joop Zoetemelk 1979 Vuelta a España 1980 Tour de France

HEY, how come the GREATEST CYCLIST EVER didn't make this list??

GK

h squared <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jaques Anquetil 1957 Tour de France 1960 Giro d'Italia 1961 Tour de France 1962 Tour de France
> 1963 Tour de France Vuelta a España 1964 Tour de France Giro d'Italia
>
> Gino Bartali 1936 Giro d'Italia 1937 Giro d'Italia 1938 Tour de France 1946 Giro d'Italia 1948
> Tour de France
>
> Giovanni Battaglin 1981 Giro d'Italia Vuelta a España
>
> Fausto Coppi 1940 Giro d'Italia 1947 Giro d'Italia 1949 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1952 Tour de
> France Giro d'Italia 1953 Giro d'Italia
>
> Pedro Delgado 1985 Vuelta a España 1988 Tour de France 1989 Vuelta a España
>
> Laurent Fignon 1983 Tour de France 1984 Tour de France 1989 Giro d'Italia
>
> Charly Gaul 1956 Giro d'Italia 1958 Tour de France 1959 Giro d'Italia
>
> Felice Gimondi 1965 Tour de France 1967 Giro d'Italia 1968 Vuelta a España 1969 Giro d'Italia 1976
> Giro d'Italia
>
> Bernard Hinault 1978 Tour de France Vuelta a España 1979 Tour de France 1980 Giro d'Italia 1981
> Tour de France 1982 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1983 Vuelta a España 1985 Tour de France Giro
> d'Italia
>
> Miguel Indurain 1991 Tour de France 1992 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1993 Tour de France Giro
> d'Italia 1994 Tour de France 1995 Tour de France
>
> Jan Janssen 1967 Vuelta a España 1968 Tour de France
>
> Hugo Koblet 1950 Giro d'Italia 1951 Tour de France
>
> Eddy Merckx 1968 Giro d'Italia 1969 Tour de France 1970 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1971 Tour de
> France 1972 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1973 Giro d'Italia Vuelta a España 1974 Tour de France
> Giro d'Italia
>

> Gastone Nencini 1957 Giro d'Italia 1960 Tour de France
>

> Luis Ocaña 1970 Vuelta a España 1973 Tour de France
>
> Marco Pantani 1998 Tour de France Giro d'Italia
>
> Roger Pingeon 1967 Tour de France 1969 Vuelta a España
>
> Stephen Roche 1987 Tour de France Giro d'Italia
>
> Toni Rominger 1992 Vuelta a España 1993 Vuelta a España 1994 Vuelta a España 1995 Giro d'Italia
>
> Jan Ullrich 1997 Tour de France 1999 Vuelta a España
>
> Joop Zoetemelk 1979 Vuelta a España 1980 Tour de France

[email protected] (Isidor Gunsberg) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anybody have a list of all of the cyclists who have won two of the three "Grand Tours" (EG
> The Giro d'Italia, The Tour de France, and Vuelta A Espana), at least one time each in their
> careers?
>
> That is, I'm look for a list of cyclists who have won:
>
> A) The Tour de France AND the Giro d'Italia
>
> OR B) The Tour de France AND the Vuelta a Espana
>
> OR C) The Giro de Italia AND the Vuelta a Espana
>
> Also, which of cyclists who managed to achieve one of the above, was able to accomplish the feat
> in the SAME YEAR?
>
> Finally, how many cyclists have won all three Grand Tours at some point in their career?

Merckx, Hinault and Anquetil are the only riders that come to mind to have won all three. Merckx won
Giro and Vuelta in '73, Anquetil the Vuelta and Tour in '63. Roche won the Giro and Tour in '87. I
believe that Hinault won the Giro and Tour in '82 and '85.

Keep in mind that the Vuelta switched from April to September in 1995, and seems to have been
changed to feature steep climbs over flatter stages, I guess to favor the Spanish teams.

g wrote:

> HEY, how come the GREATEST CYCLIST EVER didn't make this list??

i spent a couple hours sorting thru that data, and all you can offer me in reply is this boring and
very unoriginal troll?

yay.

Originally posted by H Squared
g wrote:

> HEY, how come the GREATEST CYCLIST EVER didn't make this list??

i spent a couple hours sorting thru that data, and all you can offer me in reply is this boring and
very unoriginal troll?

yay.

Hi Heather - I liked that info - thanks.

The Vuelta changed from spring to autumn in order to attract more riders from outside Spain; the Giro was seen as a better warm up for the Tour and so most of the top riders chose to skip the Vuelta. The race also got hillier and the stages got shorter to make the whole three weeks more exciting for the fans and it certainly seems to have worked - the last few Vueltas have been real nail biters. Angliru was probably a mistake but the Vuelta organizers have really made some good steps to make the Vuelta a major race in its own right and not just a consolation prize for riders that didn't do well in the Tour.

"h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> here's a list i got from the info at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veloarchive/riders
>
> sorry if someone is missing or something is incorrect, there are a lot of cyclists to look thru.
>
> Jaques Anquetil 1957 Tour de France 1960 Giro d'Italia 1961 Tour de France 1962 Tour de France
> 1963 Tour de France Vuelta a España 1964 Tour de France Giro d'Italia

[...]

> Fausto Coppi 1940 Giro d'Italia 1947 Giro d'Italia 1949 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1952 Tour de
> France Giro d'Italia 1953 Giro d'Italia
[...]

> Bernard Hinault 1978 Tour de France Vuelta a España 1979 Tour de France 1980 Giro d'Italia 1981
> Tour de France 1982 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1983 Vuelta a España 1985 Tour de France Giro
> d'Italia

[....]

> Miguel Indurain 1991 Tour de France 1992 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1993 Tour de France Giro
> d'Italia 1994 Tour de France 1995 Tour de France

[....]

> Eddy Merckx 1968 Giro d'Italia 1969 Tour de France 1970 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1971 Tour de
> France 1972 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1973 Giro d'Italia Vuelta a España 1974 Tour de France
> Giro d'Italia

thanks for posting this. it's always amazing to ponder the incredible achievements of multiple
tour winners.

the french tour is now the most competitive but was it always the case? if not, anyone knows when
the change occurred?

me thinks *Isidor Gunsberg* should have been left to google for the answers himself instead of
placing orders to the ng..

Looks like a 10 minute job to me.

GK

h squared <[email protected]> wrote:

> g wrote:
> >
> > HEY, how come the GREATEST CYCLIST EVER didn't make this list??
>
> i spent a couple hours sorting thru that data, and all you can offer me in reply is this boring
> and very unoriginal troll?
>
> yay.

>Does anybody have a list of all of the cyclists who have won two of the three "Grand Tours" (EG The
>Giro d'Italia, The Tour de France, and

> Also, which of cyclists who managed to achieve one of the above, was able to accomplish the feat
> in the SAME YEAR?

http://townsleyb.members.beeb.net/procycle/Achiev.htm for same year winners.

Doug

[email protected] (g) wrote in message news:<1fyvwfn.masgtp18qg5ooN%[email protected]>...
> me thinks *Isidor Gunsberg* should have been left to google for the answers himself instead of
> placing orders to the ng..
>
> Looks like a 10 minute job to me.

Finding the information takes about 10 minutes. Compiling it takes quite a bit longer. Besides,
now all rbr readers can glean the info for themselves. It was an interesting question, if I do
say so myself.

I appreciate the efforts of those who take the time to respond to Usenet queries. However, they
do so because they want to do so--nobody puts a gun to their head, and forces them to work in
some kind of info sweatshop.

> GK
>
> h squared <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > g wrote:
> > >
> > > HEY, how come the GREATEST CYCLIST EVER didn't make this list??
> >
> > i spent a couple hours sorting thru that data, and all you can offer me in reply is this boring
> > and very unoriginal troll?
> >
> > yay.

[email protected] (jumphress) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Isidor Gunsberg) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does anybody have a list of all of the cyclists who have won two of the three "Grand Tours" (EG
> > The Giro d'Italia, The Tour de France, and Vuelta A Espana), at least one time each in their
> > careers?
> >
> > That is, I'm look for a list of cyclists who have won:
> >
> > A) The Tour de France AND the Giro d'Italia
> >
> > OR B) The Tour de France AND the Vuelta a Espana
> >
> > OR C) The Giro de Italia AND the Vuelta a Espana

The interesting thing is that only 21 different riders have managed to win (at least) two of the
three Grand Tours, over the course of their careers.

Of those riders, 8 of them managed to achieve "Doubles", by winning 2 of the Grand Tours in the
same year. They are:

Jacques Anquetil Giovanni Battaglin Fausto Coppi Bernard Hinault Miguel Indurain Eddy Merckx Marco
Pantani Stephen Roche

Interestingly, Battaglin, Pantani, and Roche won just 2 Grand Tours in their respective careers,
but managed to still achieve Doubles by winning them both in the same year.

Battaglin-- Giro and Vuelta, 1981 Pantani -- TdF and Giro, 1998 Roche -- TdF and Giro, 1987

The only riders to achieve a TdF and Giro Double in the same year are:

Anquetil, in 1963 Hinault, in 1978

> > Also, which of cyclists who managed to achieve one of the above, was able to accomplish the
> > feat in the SAME YEAR?
> >
> > Finally, how many cyclists have won all three Grand Tours at some point in their career?
>

> Merckx, Hinault and Anquetil are the only riders that come to mind to have won all three.

Also, the Italian rider, Gimondi:

Felice Gimondi 1965 Tour de France 1967 Giro d'Italia 1968 Vuelta a España 1969 Giro d'Italia 1976
Giro d'Italia

Felice Gimondi never achieved a "Double", but he managed to win all three Grand Tours in the span
of 4 years.

Merckx won Giro and Vuelta in '73, Anquetil the
> Vuelta and Tour in '63. Roche won the Giro and Tour in '87. I believe that Hinault won the Giro
> and Tour in '82 and '85.

Hinault also won the TdF and the Vuelta in the same year (1978)

Bernard Hinault 1978 Tour de France Vuelta a España 1979 Tour de France 1980 Giro d'Italia 1981 Tour
de France 1982 Tour de France Giro d'Italia 1983 Vuelta a España 1985 Tour de France Giro d'Italia

Giovanni Battaglin achieved the unusual Double of winning the Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a
Espana in the same year. The only other rider to do so (as you noted above) was Merckx, in 1973

Giovanni Battaglin 1981 Giro d'Italia Vuelta a España

Like Battaglin, Marco Pantani won his only 2 Grand Tour victories in the same year. He won the TdF
and the Giro in 1998:

Marco Pantani 1998 Tour de France Giro d'Italia

> Keep in mind that the Vuelta switched from April to September in 1995, and seems to have been
> changed to feature steep climbs over flatter stages, I guess to favor the Spanish teams.

Information from Heather's research:

Isidor Gunsberg wrote:

> Thank you, Heather! Your effort is greatly appreciated.

not at all, it was fun to read thru the palmares of every racer with something worth mentioning.

it was especially interesting because many entries read some thing like:

"Racer X 19** 2 stages some grand tour"

and that's it for them. then you get to something like:

"Roger De Vlaeminck 1975 Paris - Roubaix Championship of Zurich Giro di Lazio Tirreno - Adriatico
Tour of Switzerland Points competition, Tour of Switzerland 6 stages, Tour of Switzerland Points
Competition, Giro d'Italia 7 stages, Giro d'Italia Critérium des As"

and that's just one year for him!! in other words, it gives one a new respect for what a few men
have accomplished.

bye heather