Cycling Training · Public discussion

Winter Cycling

Started by Carrera · · Last activity · 39 posts · 5,697 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
18 October 2004
Last activity
23 November 2010
Original author
Carrera
Posts
39
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,697
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–39 of 39
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Give it a try, its not as bad as you might think. If the cold weather hurts your lungs, you may want to consider getting one of those face masks that warm the air you breath. They use tiny copper wires to retain warmth. I've never used one, but hear they are great at helping you keep your core temperature up since your body does not have to burn energy to heat the air as it enters your lungs. Cabella's offers them on their web site.

    juf2m said:

    Exactly!!! My lungs seize up just walking down the street in the cold weather, I can't imagine what would happen if I were cycling.

    Even if I did not have asthma though, I'm not sure I could cope with the winter cycling and I live in Canada! I think I'd rather have my naughty bits waxed as someone put it....😉

    I am a new cyclist, just started over the summer, and now the days are incredibly short, and COLD! It's about 7 degrees C here now, which the hardcore types will think is nothing, but with the sky a dark mercury colour, and the rain spitting out here and there...I can't think of anything less apetizing than going on a ride. 🙁

    I need a motivational coach or something!

  2. Went out this morning and it was -1C or 30F. It felt nice, didn't even have to dress especially warm. Just had cycling shorts with cold weather tights over them. Upperbody had a 'Fight' shirt from BJJ, coolmax I think, a fleece vest and a Gore-Tex hiking jacket. A cool-max skull cap (no hair) and helmet and glasses. Had only half gloves, should of had full gloves. 🙄

    It didn't feel cold at all, was very refreshing....

  3. Only half gloves at -1??? Oh my god! Once I went out with mitts at 5 degrees and my fingers freezed! When it`s less than 10, or even few more degrees, I use winter gloves..

  4. Guys,
    There is a whole slew of clothing/equipment out there to help the weather seem to go away…
    A few thoughts:
    1) Neoprene booties that cover your shoes. No need for the extra size shoes, tape over vents etc. Nice and warm
    2) Mitts beat gloves in serious cold. WRT half gloves etc, DON’T IGNORE WIND CHILL. Trust me on this: you don’t feel it happening, (until they thaw) and your hands will never react the same to cold.
    3) The chemical warmers are great, keep one for emergency situations. We all dress assuming we are going to be rolling hard, but a flat should not be a total disaster. One thin layer of spandex won’t cut it very quickly…
    4) Did I mention wind? Ear protection... Some sort of headband.
    5) On the topic of wind, you can get these vests that block wind on your chest, and are open out the back. Perfect for an intermediate day.
    6) Did I mention wind chill? Wind blocking shirts, and layering.

    New York is warmer then Toronto, this I know!

  5. We don't get much snow here on Vancouver Island, but we do get lots of rain and temps around 1-10c. A few of us have 'winter' bikes that are mountain bikes with fenders and lights. Yesterday did an early morning hillclimb over a mountain in the rain spinning to keep my heartrate about 70-75% of Max. the slower (higher rolling resistance) mountain bikes keeps the wind chill down and we ride back roads to get away from the trucks. Thick spandex, a bright jacket, cheap ski gloves, and booties make a smei-comfortable ride and the change in scenery is great! A weight program, less cycling and more running keeps us fit intill the warmer days.

    Dave

  6. Well it gets pretty cold here on the New Jersey Shore, and the wind off the ocean is brutal it can literally stop you. I ride as long as there is no ice on the road its dangerous enough on dry roads here. I have accumulated various items over the years. Gore tex rules on the bitterly cold days. I have a complete gore-tex rain suit that I purchased when commuting to work. Wind Stopper gloves are light and very warm. My feet always get cold it just comes up from the bottom of the shoe no matter what I've tried. Yes I have tights and wear them often. Have a Fleece hood thing that I wear on my head and one to cover up my mouth. No exposed skin period. I feel like I'm dressing for battle out there. Its much harder on me riding in the very cold. My work outs are half as long and I get very tired. I takes a lot of energy to stay warm I guess.

    It beats a trainer though. I just get bored to death on those things. I once had a bike shop give me some tires at cost when I rode in their shop on a 20 degree day though. They appreciated my effort.

  7. Its not a problem IF you layer clothing and dress right. Down to 20 degree weather, I wear 2 layers of heavyweight tights with regular shorts underneath. I have a base layer on my torso of silk, followed by a long sleeve jersey and on top of that a microfleece pullover. On top of that I have a wind resistant jacket.

    For my head, I have a microfiber hood that has a pull-over for my face. You can breathe through this, saving the heat from your breath.

    For gloves, regular ski gloves work fine. Ski goggles complete the top.

    I use heavy socks and shoe covers.

    Sure, its lots of clothing but it beats staying inside. If its snowing, I take the mountain bike and spray the clean tires with silicone spray to keep the tread open. Only once did I ever see anyone out on the local golf course late at night in a full moon. Its pure bliss.

    Too cold to cycle? Nonsense. Too little clothing.

  8. Right now I'm switching over to intense (for me) indoor bike workouts on an ergo and will be riding the bike outside for short lengths (there's a nice run up a 2 km hill I like to do) until the snow starts coming then I'll pack it in and stay on the indoor ergo. This cold weather is not agreeing with me, I get out of breath much easier and I got an eye infection recently.

    Oh.. and yes Big Mig is retired, he's just riding to stay in shape now.

    -Bikeguy

  9. Hop on the Magneto trainer in the cool garage. Pop in the 2004 Tour DVD's (24 hours total viewing time) crank up the volume and RIDE. Sneak out on cold, sunny days, avoid the rainy, icy ones, and work on endurance and aerobic stamina thru the winter, dreams of hills and dales for the spring. Oh, and don't forget the weights and yoga regimen too.!

  10. To keep feet (and fingertips, if wearing mittens) warmer, you can find these little packets of an air-activated substance that actually releases heat for 3-4 hours. Ski shops have them (along with ski mittens, IMHO the best for cycling).

    I think its just finely powdered iron which "rusts" rapidly to release heat. For the feet, the packets come shaped to fit the tip of the foot and have a bit of adhesive to stay in place.

  11. Gets fairly nippy here in winter, but winter gloves, lined cycling pants, a couple of good wicking layers and DEFINITELY a skull cap see you through. Oh, and neoprene overshoes to save your poor toes from falling off.

  12. Hmmmm...claiming hardship for winter riding is really lame IMHO. I gave up my car/van many years ago and commute by bicycle everyday. I live in MN
    and the cold really never gets to me. In fact, I am often amazed at how little clothing it takes to stay warm even in below zero weather. Obviously keeping the hands and feet warm takes a little extra effort, but after that I find my major fight is to keep myself from getting too warm.

  13. Good clothing is the only way to go - I re-kitted myself out this winter with new 'windproof but breathable' bib tights and long sleve top.

    Even on near zero days, I only need a base wicking layer plus my windproof top. Clothing technology has come along way since I started cycling properly 21 years ago (now 37) Always use good cycling specific gloves and of course overshoes.

    The UK never get's that cold, maybe minus 6 on some cold winter nights. Usually just above freezing to 8/9c on winter days.

    I used to commute all weathers when I was younger/racing, 20 miles each way. The only thing that would stop me then was if it was raining hard first thing in the morning, as I couldn't dry my clothing sufficiently for the evening. I did stop riding in icey conditions when I had three bad falls on the way to work in one day.

    I don't commute at present but go out in the evenings/weekends. Still won't ride in icey weather.

    Clothing is the key, it's expensive mind, but it will make you much happier on the bike.

  14. Winter cycling? No problem. Last Saturday took a nice ride in a short sleeve jersey and shorts. Oh, yeah, I live in San Diego. :-)

  15. The toes are the first to go for me and I've discovered these toe warmers that work great. They're thin enough so they don't cause discomfort. They are air-activated so no need to crack or shake them to get going. They don't overheat and get just warm enough to take the chill off the toes.

    With thick cycling socks and neoprene booties, I've always had problems with toes going numb for rides over 2.5 hours with temps around 20-25F. But with these warmers, I've done rides up to 4 hours in the same temps with no problems. These things really work. They sell them at ski shops and sporting goods stores for a few dollars a pair. They've saved me a few times this winter from doing the dreaded 3+ indoor trainer ride!

    http:www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=TWES40&pkey=Products%7cWarmers%7cToe+Warmers+(40+pair)&pval=0%7c1%7cTWES40&pIds=Showcase%7cCategoryID%7citemid

  16. I'm 16 and a Junior in high school. unfortunately i have not been blessed with nice parents who got there kid his license and car so I'm riding my bike. i have recently made the decision to ride this winter which will be my first. Ive been a daily commuter for about 3 years now and its only a mile and a half ride to school and i think physical i can make the trip just fine with a few add ons to my bike just because its a good excuse to, including fenders, pedal straps and possibly studded tires. I ride a simple Haro hard tail i built over the summer. my biggest concern (finally getting to the point) is that my plan is to ride to school everyday. obviously there is no where inside i can leave my bike at the local high school. Does anyone know how my bike will fair in the possibly 10-40 bellow weather for about 7 hours a day plus the ride home. i know usual maintenance will keep rust off and such but I'm more concerned about tires, cables, lights, and really all of the moving parts freezing. any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

  17. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by LitleBigBrother [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    I'm 16 and a Junior in high school. unfortunately i have not been blessed with nice parents who got there kid his license and car so I'm riding my bike. i have recently made the decision to ride this winter which will be my first. Ive been a daily commuter for about 3 years now and its only a mile and a half ride to school and i think physical i can make the trip just fine with a few add ons to my bike just because its a good excuse to, including fenders, pedal straps and possibly studded tires. I ride a simple Haro hard tail i built over the summer. my biggest concern (finally getting to the point) is that my plan is to ride to school everyday. obviously there is no where inside i can leave my bike at the local high school. Does anyone know how my bike will fair in the possibly 10-40 bellow weather for about 7 hours a day plus the ride home. i know usual maintenance will keep rust off and such but I'm more concerned about tires, cables, lights, and really all of the moving parts freezing. any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.


    Good on you for keeping on it, bud.

    Cables and derailleurs have a tendency to get "sleepy" in the cold. A nice synthetic lube will help a lot, but I've converted my winter bike to single speed operation and never had a problem.

    At -40C/F, riding a bike is a miserable thing. It's akin to having barbed wire under your foreskin while swimming through broken glass, but without the "fun" aspect. You can't dress for -40. No matter what you do, you'll be miserable. If it gets that cold, look at alternatives.

    Be strong and keep the faith. Others will question your sanity. You may question your sanity. But winter cycling hurts so good.

  18. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by LitleBigBrother [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    I'm 16 and a Junior in high school. unfortunately i have not been blessed with nice parents who got there kid his license and car so I'm riding my bike. i have recently made the decision to ride this winter which will be my first. Ive been a daily commuter for about 3 years now and its only a mile and a half ride to school and i think physical i can make the trip just fine with a few add ons to my bike just because its a good excuse to, including fenders, pedal straps and possibly studded tires. I ride a simple Haro hard tail i built over the summer. my biggest concern (finally getting to the point) is that my plan is to ride to school everyday. obviously there is no where inside i can leave my bike at the local high school. Does anyone know how my bike will fair in the possibly 10-40 bellow weather for about 7 hours a day plus the ride home. i know usual maintenance will keep rust off and such but I'm more concerned about tires, cables, lights, and really all of the moving parts freezing. any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.


    Somehow I'm not taking you seriously.

    And why does not getting you a car mean you don't have nice parents? If you want a car go and get a job just like the rest of us. You sound like a spoiled brat to me.

  19. To carrera

    I agree with what people are saying about having the write clothing. I would add that the base layer is the most important layer. you need something that takes the sweat away. I use a North face thermal base layer during the winter. not only does it take away the sweat its all so baggy so that the layer of air that is between your skin and the top gets heated up and keeps your body warm.

    As for gloves, I've found that what ever gloves you buy they only work to a point and stop working very quickly if they get wet so you may have to just put up with cold hands.

    Finally if its that cold outside then why are you going out. For one thing if its that cold out then there is likely to be ice on the road which is not a cyclist friend. Al so have you considered investing in a turbo trainer. This is a great bit of kit for the winter as it can turn you bike into an exercise bike. If the weather is to bad to go outside then use the Turbo instead. If you do use one than you can get the same amount of training done in a shorter time. When your on the road you freewheel down hills and stop for traffic lights and junctions. When your on the turbo you don't need to do this so its a much more constant effort so you don't need to do as much. A 2 hour ride on the turbo can be just as good as a 3-4 hour ride on the road.

    Hope this helps

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.