Winter Riding? Best state?

BikeyGuy

Sep 27, 2003
Wisconsin winters are not the best to ride during the winter months.
To say the least.
If you could get away for a couple of weeks, where in the 48 would be your pick for a January/February get away?
Looking for good roads, low traffic, and there has to hills to climb...etc.
A Brew pub or two wouldn't hurt either.

BikeyGuy said:
Wisconsin winters are not the best to ride during the winter months.
To say the least.
If you could get away for a couple of weeks, where in the 48 would be your pick for a January/February get away?
Looking for good roads, low traffic, and there has to hills to climb...etc.
A Brew pub or two wouldn't hurt either.
You might try Asheville NC. They close the upper portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway to automobile traffic during the winter months. It gets cold up there but alot of days the roads are perfectly clear and empty. Challenging ascents, awesome descents. An hour away in the lower elevations it's typically in the 50's and 60's. Great brewpubs in the area. Small city with alot of culture. If you want to go where it's warmer try Greenville SC. An hour down the mountains from Asheville. George Hincanpie(sp?) lives there.

Thanks ndbiker.
My buddies and I are putting together a cycling trip next winter.
Collecting info now.
Good inputs. Thanks again.

BikeyGuy said:
Thanks ndbiker.
My buddies and I are putting together a cycling trip next winter.
Collecting info now.
Good inputs. Thanks again.
My brother and I took a short 24 mile ride (12 miles up 12 back down) from about 3000 ft. up to 5700 ft. at a place called Craggy Gardens last February. The temp was 50 F at the start, 35 F when we reached Craggy Gardens. I'm from Ohio so the ascent took me 1.75 hours the trip back down took me 22 (excellent!) minutes. My brother who lives there was down in less than 20. It's nice having two full lanes to negotiate the descent. It's the slow season on the Blue Ridge so even the lower elevations which allow traffic aren't that bad. I will say it's either up or down, very little flats. There are hundreds of miles of hiking trails if you want a change of pace from biking.

As for the Brew pubs I can think of several but some of the more popular are Asheville Brewing Company, Jack of the Woods/ Green Man brewing company, Highland Brewing, Pisgah brewing. I don't know the name of it but there is/was a movie theater brewpub. http://www.exploreasheville.com/where-to-eat/restaurants-by-cuisine-type/brewpubs--microbreweries/index.aspxThe Biltmore Estate is kind of expensive but worth the tour (includes the winery). Asheville has tons of excellent restaurants belying it's 80K population.

Good luck on your trip planning.

If you ride the NC area be sure and ride Newfound Gap Rd over the Smokies.It is a great climb and a blast to desend.