General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Winter trousers

Started by pacer · · Last activity · 36 posts · 1,423 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 October 2005
Last activity
2 November 2005
Original author
pacer
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,423
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mark Manning said:

    I've never had any problem with my Viento zip-offs leaking, but I
    wear a jacket (again the Paramo Viento one) which covers the pockets. I
    do find that cotton hankies in the trouser pockets get wet, but that's the
    only problem... so far!

    Following up my own post, but never mind. Just come back from a
    weekend in Ribblehead, including some serious rain on the Sunday. Contents
    of both pockets of my Paramo Viento trousers got pretty seriously wet (I
    had to move them to my rucksack). The zips on the leggings were leaking,
    too; but I didn't find this a serious problem.

    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email hidden]

  2. Adrian Godwin said:

    It would be useful to know, though, if the Vientos are substantially
    less waterproof than the Cascadas, as it appears. As far as I can tell
    from the Paramo website, they're basically very similar except for the
    extra leg zips (which are protected by a waterproof flap).

    A waterproof flap is only waterproof from one direction though, and
    while it may well prevent rain from being blown directly onto the zip it
    can only be partially successful keeping out rain that's dripping down
    the garment.

    The raincoats I use have the main zips protected by a zip with a double
    stormflap with rain gutters. There's still some water gets through them
    in seriously nasty wind driven rain, so a single flap can hardly be
    expected to be completely watertight.

    If you want to see what a proper waterproof zip is like look at the ones
    on a diver's or paddler's dry-suit. They're an altogether different
    proposition to the things you get on walking jackets and trousers.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Peter Clinch said:
    Adrian Godwin said:

    It would be useful to know, though, if the Vientos are substantially
    less waterproof than the Cascadas, as it appears. As far as I can tell
    from the Paramo website, they're basically very similar except for the
    extra leg zips (which are protected by a waterproof flap).

    ..

    If you want to see what a proper waterproof zip is like look at the ones
    on a diver's or paddler's dry-suit. They're an altogether different
    proposition to the things you get on walking jackets and trousers.

    Yes, I used the term 'waterproof' as a shorthand : what I could have
    said more accurately was 'there's a flap made of the same water
    repellent material as the rest of the trousers that prevents water
    shed from a coat from guttering directly onto the zipoff zip'. But
    that's a bit longwinded. I realise that it's far from actually
    waterproof (and I wouldn't expect it to be, when the whole
    garment isn't intended to keep water out to that degree).

    Clearly, the additional zip is going to make the Vientos less
    able to keep out water than the Cascadas. That's a compromise
    that can be traded against the convenience of the zipoff legs,
    as can the slight reduction in comfort. But it's hard to choose
    the compromise unless you can work out just how much effect
    the zip has - if they're essentially the same trousers as the
    Cacadas but leak in a few minutes (Berties's experience) or
    a few hours (my experience) instead of taking all day (a
    couple of Cascada-owner's experience) then that's useful to know.

    As a side issue, on one occasion where my Vientos got thoroughly wet,
    I was also wearing long goretex gaiters, outside the trousers. This is
    where I normally wear gaiters (mostly to keep wet grass away from
    socks and trousers). In this case, the water eventually soaked the
    internal layer of fabric in the trousers and the gaiters ensured
    that as it ran out of the bottom it was encouraged to run into
    my socks.

    If I'd worn the gaiters inside the trousers (not, to me, an obvious
    choice) then the layers would have been arranged like roof shingles
    and the water in the trousers would have stayed out of my boots.
    Is that a better way to wear them ? It seems more reasonable
    with seperate overtrousers (gaiters over normal trousers but
    under waterproofs) than with the Paramos.

    -adrian

  4. Mark Manning said:

    Following up my own post, but never mind. Just come back from a
    weekend in Ribblehead, including some serious rain on the Sunday. Contents
    of both pockets of my Paramo Viento trousers got pretty seriously wet (I
    had to move them to my rucksack). The zips on the leggings were leaking,
    too; but I didn't find this a serious problem.

    Sounds similar to my experience. Did you notice whether the rain
    running off your coat was a factor, or is the coat long enough
    to cover them ? At least one factor in getting the pockets wet
    is putting the cotton handkerchief back in after using it, but
    that might only account for one side.

    Have those people with Cascadas had the same problem (the zip-off part
    shouldn't affect the pockets) or are the pockets better protected ?

    -adrian

  5. Adrian Godwin said:

    If I'd worn the gaiters inside the trousers (not, to me, an obvious
    choice) then the layers would have been arranged like roof shingles
    and the water in the trousers would have stayed out of my boots.
    Is that a better way to wear them ?

    Generally, yes, though to some extent it will depend on the cut of the
    bottom of the trousers, but anything that keeps itself enough out the
    way is probably well off over the tops.

    Quoted message said:

    It seems more reasonable
    with seperate overtrousers (gaiters over normal trousers but
    under waterproofs) than with the Paramos.

    May well be worth hunting out ankle gaiters as they'll not be doing much
    above that.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. I use Cascada trousers, with an Alta jacket. This is the shorter jacket, but
    I've not noticed any problems with water running into pockets. I cannot see
    how the zip-off zip should be any less waterproof than the side zips, but
    then again I cannot see the point of Vientos. Why have zip off trousers that
    are mainly designed for winter use? Surely no-one would wear them on a hot
    summers day, would they? Perhaps that's why they are being sold so cheaply.

    "Adrian Godwin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Manning said:

    Following up my own post, but never mind. Just come back from a
    weekend in Ribblehead, including some serious rain on the Sunday.
    Contents
    of both pockets of my Paramo Viento trousers got pretty seriously wet (I
    had to move them to my rucksack). The zips on the leggings were leaking,
    too; but I didn't find this a serious problem.

    Sounds similar to my experience. Did you notice whether the rain
    running off your coat was a factor, or is the coat long enough
    to cover them ? At least one factor in getting the pockets wet
    is putting the cotton handkerchief back in after using it, but
    that might only account for one side.

    Have those people with Cascadas had the same problem (the zip-off part
    shouldn't affect the pockets) or are the pockets better protected ?

    -adrian

  7. Adrian Godwin said:
    Gordon said:


    So now we're back to Paramo Cascada. They don't leak, unless you sit
    in a puddle.

    It would be useful to know, though, if the Vientos are substantially
    less waterproof than the Cascadas, as it appears. As far as I can tell
    from the Paramo website, they're basically very similar except for the
    extra leg zips (which are protected by a waterproof flap).

    As I type this message I have the trousers on my lap, looking at the
    flap. There is cotton stitching around the top of the zip flap which
    goes all the way through to the fabric surrounding the zip. Water may
    soak either through the cotton to the inside, or onto the zip surround
    fabric and through. I think the former is more likely as I never seem
    to have a problem with the side leg zip leaking - and that's
    unflapped.

  8. Adrian Godwin said:

    Clearly, the additional zip is going to make the Vientos less
    able to keep out water than the Cascadas. That's a compromise
    that can be traded against the convenience of the zipoff legs,
    as can the slight reduction in comfort. But it's hard to choose
    the compromise unless you can work out just how much effect
    the zip has - if they're essentially the same trousers as the
    Cacadas but leak in a few minutes (Berties's experience) or
    a few hours (my experience) instead of taking all day (a
    couple of Cascada-owner's experience) then that's useful to know.

    Ten minutes was pulled out of the air. They leak in rain but not
    immediately. 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 2 hours... It may depend of how
    heavy the rain is. First time I noticed was between Crinkle Crags and
    Bow Fell - so I'd got to there from Three Shires' Stone before I
    noticed the leak.

    Quoted message said:

    As a side issue, on one occasion where my Vientos got thoroughly wet,
    I was also wearing long goretex gaiters, outside the trousers. This is
    where I normally wear gaiters (mostly to keep wet grass away from
    socks and trousers). In this case, the water eventually soaked the
    internal layer of fabric in the trousers and the gaiters ensured
    that as it ran out of the bottom it was encouraged to run into
    my socks.

    If I'd worn the gaiters inside the trousers (not, to me, an obvious
    choice) then the layers would have been arranged like roof shingles
    and the water in the trousers would have stayed out of my boots.
    Is that a better way to wear them ? It seems more reasonable
    with seperate overtrousers (gaiters over normal trousers but
    under waterproofs) than with the Paramos.

    I was once advised to wear gaiters under waterproof trousers in rain
    and over waterproof trousers in snow. The former is to keep your
    socks dry, the latter to prevent spearing the trousers when wearing
    crampons. (I still have a pair of cheap overtrousers held together at
    the ankle with gaffer tape.)

  9. Gordon Burns said:

    I use Cascada trousers, with an Alta jacket. This is the shorter jacket, but
    I've not noticed any problems with water running into pockets. I cannot see
    how the zip-off zip should be any less waterproof than the side zips, but
    then again I cannot see the point of Vientos. Why have zip off trousers that
    are mainly designed for winter use? Surely no-one would wear them on a hot
    summers day, would they? Perhaps that's why they are being sold so cheaply.

    This nicely leads to my favourite story - I've had many a drink on
    this story.

    On 19 February 2004 I sold a car - I'd had it 10 years and it was only
    my second car, having had me first for about 5 years. Yes... that
    puts me at about 35.

    I filled in the registration documents incorrectly, drove up to
    Ballachulish in my new car, and posted the new owners portion of the
    registration document to DVLA, believing I was doing posting the
    correct portion.

    On 22 February my old car was photographed driving over Tower Bridge
    in the Congestion Zone.

    Soon after my return to London I received a demand from TfL for a £40
    congestion charge fine. I wrote back saying that I was no longer the
    registered keeper. They wrote back saying that I was, and that I now
    owed £80. I wrote back saying I wasn't. They wrote back saying that
    I was and that I had 28 days to present final representations, pay up,
    or appeal. I made final representations and appealed. TfL wrote back
    saying that as my case was subject to appeal they could not accept my
    final representations.

    The case went to appeal and I lost. While the adjudicator accepted
    that I had sold the car I was still the registered keeper and
    therefore liable for the congestion charge.

    After the appeal was lost DVLA contacted me (at last) and said that
    they ammended their records to show that I disposed of the vehicle on
    19 February 2004. Hooray!

    I asked for a review of my appeal on the grounds of new information
    which could not reasonably have been forseen before the appeal. The
    review was heard in January 2005 - and refused. Despite the fact that
    DVLA had ammended their records to show that I had disposed of the
    vehicle on 19 February 2005 I was still the registered keeper on 22
    February - I must now pay TfL £120.

    Judicial review was the only route open to me. £20,000 legal costs
    for a £120 fine - no way. I'd pay the fine.

    But - TfL gave me 28 days for final representations and suspended that
    28 days after just 10 while the appeal was going through. I still had
    18 days for final representations now the appeal process was
    exhausted.

    In my submission to TfL, alongside the photo of my car driving over
    Tower Bridge, timed at 14:52 on 22/2/04 was a photo of me, standing on
    top of Am Bodach, with Ben Nevis in the background, timed at 15:14 on
    22/2/04.

    I also submitted a weather report for Glencoe for that day explaining
    my unusual dress. Zipped off Viento trousers, crampons and ice axe.

    TfL wrote back saying that they were no longer going to pursue the
    case.

  10. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:37:29 +0000, Bertie Wiggins

    cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk said:
    Gordon Burns said:

    I use Cascada trousers, with an Alta jacket. This is the shorter jacket, but
    I've not noticed any problems with water running into pockets. I cannot see
    how the zip-off zip should be any less waterproof than the side zips, but
    then again I cannot see the point of Vientos. Why have zip off trousers that
    are mainly designed for winter use? Surely no-one would wear them on a hot
    summers day, would they? Perhaps that's why they are being sold so cheaply.

    This nicely leads to my favourite story - I've had many a drink on
    this story.

    On 19 February 2004 I sold a car - I'd had it 10 years and it was only
    my second car, having had me first for about 5 years. Yes... that
    puts me at about 35.

    I filled in the registration documents incorrectly, drove up to
    Ballachulish in my new car, and posted the new owners portion of the
    registration document to DVLA, believing I was doing posting the
    correct portion.

    On 22 February my old car was photographed driving over Tower Bridge
    in the Congestion Zone.

    Soon after my return to London I received a demand from TfL for a £40
    congestion charge fine. I wrote back saying that I was no longer the
    registered keeper. They wrote back saying that I was, and that I now
    owed £80. I wrote back saying I wasn't. They wrote back saying that
    I was and that I had 28 days to present final representations, pay up,
    or appeal. I made final representations and appealed. TfL wrote back
    saying that as my case was subject to appeal they could not accept my
    final representations.

    The case went to appeal and I lost. While the adjudicator accepted
    that I had sold the car I was still the registered keeper and
    therefore liable for the congestion charge.

    After the appeal was lost DVLA contacted me (at last) and said that
    they ammended their records to show that I disposed of the vehicle on
    19 February 2004. Hooray!

    I asked for a review of my appeal on the grounds of new information
    which could not reasonably have been forseen before the appeal. The
    review was heard in January 2005 - and refused. Despite the fact that
    DVLA had ammended their records to show that I had disposed of the
    vehicle on 19 February 2005 I was still the registered keeper on 22
    February - I must now pay TfL £120.

    Judicial review was the only route open to me. £20,000 legal costs
    for a £120 fine - no way. I'd pay the fine.

    But - TfL gave me 28 days for final representations and suspended that
    28 days after just 10 while the appeal was going through. I still had
    18 days for final representations now the appeal process was
    exhausted.

    In my submission to TfL, alongside the photo of my car driving over
    Tower Bridge, timed at 14:52 on 22/2/04 was a photo of me, standing on
    top of Am Bodach, with Ben Nevis in the background, timed at 15:14 on
    22/2/04.

    I also submitted a weather report for Glencoe for that day explaining
    my unusual dress. Zipped off Viento trousers, crampons and ice axe.

    TfL wrote back saying that they were no longer going to pursue the
    case.

    Great story :-)

    Wet fishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \ pee AT [guessthisbit].co.uk

    "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  11. On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:29:41 +0000, Peewiglet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also submitted a weather report for Glencoe for that day explaining
    my unusual dress. Zipped off Viento trousers, crampons and ice axe.

    TfL wrote back saying that they were no longer going to pursue the
    case.

    Great story :-)

    I tried to get the Daily Wail to take up the story - I thought the two
    photos: Ben Nevis and Tower Bridge would make an excellent contrast.
    They didn't even reply to my email.

  12. Gordon Burns said:

    [snip] I cannot see the point of Vientos. Why have zip off trousers that
    are mainly designed for winter use? Surely no-one would wear them on a hot
    summers day, would they?

    The Vientos are actually designed for *summer* wear, hence the zip-offs!
    In fact I find them far too hot in summer, but they are very good for the
    cooler seasons.

    The real advantage I find (as someone who does week-long
    backpacking trips) is that they minimise the amount of clothing I need to
    take. For example, in an unseasonably cold April in the Lakes, I wore the
    Viento kit in both bright sunshine and driving snow! I wore the Vientos
    straight over a base layer much of the time. I had an extra fleece,
    and of course gloves and hats, but that was all.

    If I had used a conventional layering system, I would have needed two
    fleeces (as the Viento has the warmth of a micro fleece), a waterproof
    jacket and waterproof trousers. All of which takes up valuable pack space.
    So I find the kit very useful.

    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email hidden]

  13. Gordon Burns said:

    [snip] I cannot see the point of Vientos. Why have zip off trousers that
    are mainly designed for winter use? Surely no-one would wear them on a hot
    summers day, would they?

    The Vientos are actually designed for *summer* wear, hence the zip-offs!
    In fact I find them far too hot in summer, but they are very good for the
    cooler seasons.

    The real advantage I find (as someone who does week-long
    backpacking trips) is that they minimise the amount of clothing I need to
    take. For example, in an unseasonably cold April in the Lakes, I wore the
    Viento kit in both bright sunshine and driving snow! I wore the Vientos
    straight over a base layer much of the time. I had an extra fleece,
    and of course gloves and hats, but that was all.

    If I had used a conventional layering system, I would have needed two
    fleeces (as the Viento has the warmth of a micro fleece), a waterproof
    jacket and waterproof trousers. All of which takes up valuable pack space.
    So I find the kit very useful.

    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email hidden]

  14. Gordon Burns said:

    [snip] I cannot see the point of Vientos. Why have zip off trousers that
    are mainly designed for winter use? Surely no-one would wear them on a hot
    summers day, would they?

    The Vientos are actually designed for *summer* wear, hence the zip-offs!
    In fact I find them far too hot in summer, but they are very good for the
    cooler seasons.

    The real advantage I find (as someone who does week-long
    backpacking trips) is that they minimise the amount of clothing I need to
    take. For example, in an unseasonably cold April in the Lakes, I wore the
    Viento kit in both bright sunshine and driving snow! I wore the Vientos
    straight over a base layer much of the time. I had an extra fleece,
    and of course gloves and hats, but that was all.

    If I had used a conventional layering system, I would have needed two
    fleeces (as the Viento has the warmth of a micro fleece), a waterproof
    jacket and waterproof trousers. All of which takes up valuable pack space.
    So I find the kit very useful.

    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email hidden]

  15. Adrian Godwin <[email hidden]> wrote in news:3r9h33-joe.ln1
    @smaug.toynbee.org.uk:

    Quoted message said:

    As a side issue, on one occasion where my Vientos got thoroughly wet,
    I was also wearing long goretex gaiters, outside the trousers. This is
    where I normally wear gaiters (mostly to keep wet grass away from
    socks and trousers). In this case, the water eventually soaked the
    internal layer of fabric in the trousers and the gaiters ensured
    that as it ran out of the bottom it was encouraged to run into
    my socks.

    I always wear gaiters on the outside of overtrousers, but pull the trousers
    up a bit and fold them down to form a flap over the top of the gaiters.
    That way any water is directed outside the gaiters.

    John

  16. Adrian Godwin <[email hidden]> wrote in news:3r9h33-joe.ln1
    @smaug.toynbee.org.uk:

    Quoted message said:

    As a side issue, on one occasion where my Vientos got thoroughly wet,
    I was also wearing long goretex gaiters, outside the trousers. This is
    where I normally wear gaiters (mostly to keep wet grass away from
    socks and trousers). In this case, the water eventually soaked the
    internal layer of fabric in the trousers and the gaiters ensured
    that as it ran out of the bottom it was encouraged to run into
    my socks.

    I always wear gaiters on the outside of overtrousers, but pull the trousers
    up a bit and fold them down to form a flap over the top of the gaiters.
    That way any water is directed outside the gaiters.

    John

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.