Road Cycling · Public discussion

Wireless Cyclocomputers - Opinions

Started by Mike · · Last activity · 28 posts · 1,587 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 April 2004
Last activity
16 May 2004
Original author
Mike
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,587
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a Schwinn wireless and I love it. No unsightly wires to entangle or
    have to bunch up to take up the slack. Plus it measures distance traveled
    down to the metre. I hope this doesn't get top posted. If it does my
    apologies as that is how my system works.

    "Comcast Giganews" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I had a cateye wireless and did not like it. It received interference


    from

    Quoted message said:

    electrical sources (traffic lights, power lines, etc) that caused it to go
    haywire.

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any drawbacks to it being
    wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?

    Thanks

  2. Mike said:

    Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any drawbacks to it being
    wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
    Thanks

    I have a wireless Vetta V100 w/ wireless cadence, and a wired Sigma something-or-
    other. I bought the wireless for a bike with S&S couplers- wireless is
    pretty mandatory for a bike that gets taken apart and put into a box.

    Overall, the vetta works ok and the no-wires look is cleaner (point for
    wireless), but the wired computer has less frustrating issues.

    I find that the wireless batteries (larger, more expensive and more
    numerous) last me about 6 months compared to 1-2 years for the wired
    computer. And the batteries always seem to die at inopportune times,
    such as during an event I had hoped to clock. (2 points for wired).

    When the batteries do go, it isn't always clear what is happening or
    why- the signal seems to fade in and out and interference starts to
    occur for a little while before the device stops receiving a signal
    entirely (in contrast, the wired display just slowly fades out over a
    period of weeks or months, and continues to record complete data
    throughout) (point for wired).

    When the wireless batteries start to go, I find myself wondering if the
    transmitters got out of alignment with the magnets at first, or why I
    suddenly seem to be getting more interference, before tinkering and
    realizing that the problem is the batteries. Even then, I end up
    replacing all 3 batteries (head unit, fork transmitter, cadence
    transmitter) before it fixes the problem.

    Having had this happen twice now, I hope that I will be quicker on the
    uptake next time, and just replace all 3 batteries immediately.

    I have not noticed wireless interference except when the batteries are
    about to die.

    Also, the wired computer updates instantly, while the wireless seems
    only to resend signals every 3-5 seconds. Not a huge deal, but a 1/2
    point in the wired column.

    On the other hand, the wired cadence on my Sigma just gave up the ghost.
    The mount is made with slots to plug in the cadence wire, and I think
    the contact leads got screwed up somehow- I probably yanked on the wire
    inadvertently. A new cadence wire might fix it- I haven't tried to find
    one yet. (a point for wireless).

    I think this adds up to 3.5 points for wired and 2 for wireless.

    Finally, I couldn't get the cadence transmitter to work at all for the
    first few weeks after I installed it. Eventually I gave up tinkering and
    left it alone- after about 2 weeks it magically started to work, and has
    been pretty much fine ever since. A point the "weird" column.

    --

  3. "Comcast Giganews" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I had a cateye wireless and did not like it. It received interference


    from

    Quoted message said:

    electrical sources (traffic lights, power lines, etc) that caused it to go
    haywire.

    I've had a wireless Cateye on my bike for the past three to four years and
    it's been flawless. A great tool.

    fwiw

  4. GaryG said:

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any drawbacks to it being
    wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?

    Thanks

    The only drawback I've seen is that most wireless units do not "auto-start".
    You have to remember to push a button to start the computer functions when
    you start riding, or after you've stopped for more than 5 minutes or so.
    They're designed this way to conserve battery life on the transmitter
    battery. Because of this, I'll sometimes miss a few 10ths of a mile before
    I realize the computer is not running.

    Despite this issue, I really like wireless units. They're easier to mount,
    and you don't have those wires running all over your bike.

    Why can't you run the wire up the brake cable?

    --

    -TTFN

    -Steven

  5. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GaryG said:

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any drawbacks to it


    being

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?

    Thanks

    The only drawback I've seen is that most wireless units do not


    "auto-start".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You have to remember to push a button to start the computer functions


    when

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you start riding, or after you've stopped for more than 5 minutes or so.
    They're designed this way to conserve battery life on the transmitter
    battery. Because of this, I'll sometimes miss a few 10ths of a mile


    before

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I realize the computer is not running.

    Despite this issue, I really like wireless units. They're easier to


    mount,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and you don't have those wires running all over your bike.

    Why can't you run the wire up the brake cable?

    When I had wired, that is where I ran the wire. But, it still has to go up
    the fork leg before it gets to the brake cable (and be secured with zip ties
    or tape on the fork). And, you still see the wire wound around the brake
    cable. Mostly it's an aesthetic issue...similar to the difference between
    running visible speaker wires around your living room, or running them
    behind the walls. I prefer the "clean" look of wireless.

    However, while riding in the Chico Wildflower Century yesterday (along with
    about 4,000 others), I did notice some apparent intermittent interference.
    On a couple of occasions, my speed jumped up a few mph for a couple of
    seconds, then returned to normal. This was the first time I've noticed
    this...but, I also changed both batteries the day before so I'm not entirely
    sure as to the cause.

    GG

    Quoted message said:


    --

    -TTFN

    -Steven

  6. GaryG said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    GaryG said:

    "Mike" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Thinking about buying one of these. Are there any drawbacks to it


    being

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > wireless i.e. battery usage etc.?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    The only drawback I've seen is that most wireless units do not


    "auto-start".

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You have to remember to push a button to start the computer functions


    when

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you start riding, or after you've stopped for more than 5 minutes or so.
    They're designed this way to conserve battery life on the transmitter
    battery. Because of this, I'll sometimes miss a few 10ths of a mile


    before

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I realize the computer is not running.

    Despite this issue, I really like wireless units. They're easier to


    mount,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and you don't have those wires running all over your bike.

    Why can't you run the wire up the brake cable?

    When I had wired, that is where I ran the wire. But, it still has to go up
    the fork leg before it gets to the brake cable (and be secured with zip ties
    or tape on the fork). And, you still see the wire wound around the brake
    cable. Mostly it's an aesthetic issue...similar to the difference between
    running visible speaker wires around your living room, or running them
    behind the walls.

    Shrink tubing?

    Quoted message said:

    I prefer the "clean" look of wireless.

    Nothing wrong with that! <g>

    Quoted message said:

    However, while riding in the Chico Wildflower Century yesterday (along with
    about 4,000 others), I did notice some apparent intermittent interference.
    On a couple of occasions, my speed jumped up a few mph for a couple of
    seconds, then returned to normal. This was the first time I've noticed
    this...but, I also changed both batteries the day before so I'm not entirely
    sure as to the cause.

    --

    -TTFN

    -Steven

  7. I have about 20,000 km on my Cateye Astrale and have not needed to
    replace the battery. (i.e., 3 years of cycling)

    Badger_South <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    David Reuteler said:
    GaryG garyg@shasta_spambegone_software.com said:

    > Reasons not to get wireless:
    > 1. 2 batteries to wear out

    3,000 miles on my Vetta V100A. No need to replace either battery yet.

    the batteries in the shimano flight deck sensor wear out rather frequently
    which i define as several months of moderate usage. when i was touring
    i replaced the battery 4 times in 4 months. two or three times a season was
    more like it for normal, tho. not a big deal, but ..

    otoh, now i use the campag ergobrain. haven't changed a battery yet. off-
    topic, i found the flight deck menus more intuitive -- i've never been a fan
    of the cat-eye style computers.

    The ergobrain looks nice and seems to have some unique features like
    stopwatch which can be run independently.

    Do any of these allow downloading into the PC or is that a huge price jump?

    -B

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (J. MacMillan) said:

    I have about 20,000 km on my Cateye Astrale and have not needed to
    replace the battery. (i.e., 3 years of cycling)

    Badger_South <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    David Reuteler said:

    GaryG <garyg@shasta_spambegone_software.com> wrote:
    >> Reasons not to get wireless:
    >> 1. 2 batteries to wear out
    >
    > 3,000 miles on my Vetta V100A. No need to replace either battery yet.

    the batteries in the shimano flight deck sensor wear out rather frequently
    which i define as several months of moderate usage. when i was touring
    i replaced the battery 4 times in 4 months. two or three times a season
    was
    more like it for normal, tho. not a big deal, but ..

    Oh, somehow I missed this thread.

    I haven't tried any of these Filzer computers yet, but hey, they're too
    cheap not to try:

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=66919
    5&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=748239&bmUID=1084672983291

    http://tinyurl.com/39b8u

    C$24 for a function-laden wireless computer. C$14.50 for the wired
    version. I intend to grab one of these next time I'm in MEC and have
    cash on hand.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.