Wives That Cycle, Gotta Love Em!

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
The good thing about the wives cycling along? One is never in need or shall I say, needs to explain why they need something new. I have 2 bright orange jerseys on order, should be here any day. I have 2 yellow, another orange in the closet, a couple from events and a blue one also in the closet. Somebody told me on a ride the other day that I need a new jersey cause mine had a snag on it and a stain. Wife heard the comment so she agreed.

Me, I think they are fine. I just use them to carry stuff like my cameras on rides. But she insisted that I buy 2 new orange jerseys and as she went in for a visit to the Performance bike shop last night to pick us some Skratch, she saw the green jerseys on sale for $24. She insisted on buying one. Who am I to argue? :lol:

Same goes for bike equipment. I have 4 helmets, 3 new tires in stock, a new cassettes, new chain, 10 spare tubes, 2 patch kits, 2 floor pumps, 3 frame pumps, 3 sets of tire levers. I don't think I have just one of anything! Mostly because she insists I buy extra of everything ha ha! Heck we even have extra bikes! :p

She insisted, what could I do? :lol:

Wow, I've got a dark tan ha ha!

0jersey1_zps1h4ma0lc.jpg

0Orange_zpsnabnhwa2.jpg

Reactions: haleylx4
I need to find one of those! It seems like not too many young women cycle though. I see many jog and other forms of cardio, but I mostly see middle age-older women on bikes.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Uawadall said:
I need to find one of those! It seems like not too many young women cycle though. I see many jog and other forms of cardio, but I mostly see middle age-older women on bikes.
My problem was when I got married 38 years ago women wouldn't be caught dead on a bike, it just wasn't their thing, today however you find a few more women doing it but it still isn't their cup of tea, but those few more today is a lot more than there was 38 years ago.

Uawadall said:
I need to find one of those!

I made my own! :lol:

I was always very active in other sports. When our kids got older I noticed my wife was sitting there waiting for me all day waiting to finish my games. I got he idea that she might enjoy cycling so Boom, got her a bike. Been 20 years now! B)

I'm not married, yet. My girlfriend who I'm in a serious relationship with is an avid cyclist. I sort of got her into the hobby, but it wasn't very difficult as she has siblings and friends that also love to ride. Her previous exposure to cycling helped to make her a willing participant and I'm very grateful for that. While she doesn't ride as much as me, we do tend to ride together during the weekends and it's an enjoyable experience.

Mr. Beanz said:
I made my own! :lol:

I was always very active in other sports. When our kids got older I noticed my wife was sitting there waiting for me all day waiting to finish my games. I got he idea that she might enjoy cycling so Boom, got her a bike. Been 20 years now! B)
I was active in running, cycling, volleyball,and martial arts, and she knew all of that when we got married, I bought her a 2 bikes over the 38 years and she never put more than 100 miles on either during that whole time. The last bike I bought her was 2 years ago so she could have a modern lighter bike and I think she put about 30 miles on it. I tried to encourage her, heck she even comes from an athletic family! and no go. She actually resents that her family was like that, something I didn't know about till later.

My wife is trying to get back to cycling a little at a time. A truck hit her last year ,at low speed, but it freaked her out a bit. I bought her enough tools this week to repair her own flats. She prefers walking but cycles some on weekends.

Froze said:
I was active in running, cycling, volleyball,and martial arts, and she knew all of that when we got married, I bought her a 2 bikes over the 38 years and she never put more than 100 miles on either during that whole time. The last bike I bought her was 2 years ago so she could have a modern lighter bike and I think she put about 30 miles on it. I tried to encourage her, heck she even comes from an athletic family! and no go. She actually resents that her family was like that, something I didn't know about till later.

Oh that sucks! I had a girlfriend for a short while before I met Gina. Pretty thing but she didn't care for my active lifestyle. She wanted me to sit down and watch soap operas with her all day long as well as in the evening. At that point it didn't matter how big her boobs were, I was outta there! :lol:

Uawadall said:

You need to move out here to So California! :lol:

jhuskey said:
My wife is trying to get back to cycling a little at a time. A truck hit her last year ,at low speed, but it freaked her out a bit. I bought her enough tools this week to repair her own flats. She prefers walking but cycles some on weekends.

That is scary! We ride the trail a lot because of my fear of the wife getting hurt. She has really good handling skills now but every once in a long while she makes a mistake that could get her hurt. I don't mind the trail since we can do 60 miles traffic free if we like.

Plus we live at the foothills of the San Gabriel mtns. So if we ride on the road, we head up and away from traffic. Or we ride the tandem so that I have all controls in traffic, she can't make mistakes. B)

CAMPYBOB said:
I prefer they do NOT cycle. Or hunt.

I do these things to get away the wife unit.
Understandable but I have a blast with my wife when we ride. If she didn't ride, I would ride alone. The others that ride with us I could do without but my wife, we have blast! :p

Posted this in another thread but I think it fits here too!

20 years consistently. There was a period of about year that she didn't ride after donating a kidney to a family member. She was back on the bike about 3 months after the surgery but riding short slow rides. So cycling helped her with recovery a ton!

What is fun is that she is the average looking grandmother housewife looking woman that others would not expect that she could even ride a bike. But she is very strong so that adds to the fun. Some guys get very upset when they can't keep up with her.

We have done many rides with other forum members. It's funny when the goal of a few men is to not get dropped by Gina! :p

We're in California. A forum member came down from another state to visit. He said he wanted to ride with us on the trail we frequent. I asked his estimated speed and effort. I asked if I should bring my wife or did he plan on cranking it up? He said go ahead and bring her, we can slow down and wait for her if we have to. Turns out she was slowing down waiting for him! :lol:

She did very well before the donation so sometimes I think she might even be better had she not donated. But she does great so I really can't ask for more from her.

5448378720_1c288e8699_o_zps3b29c4a0.jpg

That's her in second position in blue riding with some local forum members.

GinaLine_zps3da12f6f.jpg

What makes it fun is that when people see her they say, "what? You ride a bike? Yeah sure!". Average looking grandma but she is very strong! ;)

On a ride couple years back she was riding her old steel Bianchi. We rolled by a dude that tried to keep up after we rolled by. After a while we stopped at a park to refill the water bottles so he stopped too. This dude a top of the line bike with all the bell and whistles. He said, "wow your wife is strong, I had a hard time keeping up with her". then he went into the ol explanation, well I'm 52 years old. I said she's 50 (at the time). Then he said I have 3 grand kids. I said she has 8! then he said he had been sick last year and I said well she donated a kidney and she's riding with only one! He gave up with the excuses at that point ha ha! This is part of the fun she adds to riding. :lol:

20150904_162817_zpsm0mibets.jpg

A couple male forum members that have ridden with us said she should race. But she's not interested. I'm actually happy about that because if she actually wanted to train and did train, she'd kick my butt!

0ride1_zpshlbd1dif.jpg

My partner doesn't cycle, but I ride with a husband and wife duo and they're an amazing team. I don't think either of them could be with anyone else because they're both so heavily into cycling that no one else could possibly match their enthusiasm.

I know the husband really appreciates that his wife cycles because he's one of those guys who goes to the extreme with his sport and having a partner who's able to keep up and repair the bikes and carry gear allows him to push himself to the limit. The wife is also an insanely skilled cyclist but she doesn't go for all the big jumps and stuff so she's usually the person filming while he's doing all his tricks.

They're such a perfect couple and I think they're so lucky to share their hobby with their significant other :)

sunshiney said:
t and having a partner who's able to keep up and repair the bikes and carry gear allows him to push himself to the limit.
Sadly I know a few guys that want their wives to "keep up" on the bike but aren't willing to give some to help out. After realizing my wife was willing to ride along with me, I invested more into her equipment than mine. I do believe that a bike doesn't make one significantly faster, it can make them more comfortable.

My bike was $1050 but my wife's bike was $2700. Her shorts are Terry for women, $100 per pair, Mine are internet specials $50. She has Dura Ace hubs on her bike, I ride Ultegra. I give her every advantage, big r small to keep up and be comfortable because it makes it better for me as well. Heck doing several 79,80 mile rides as well as a few 100 milers makes it great for me!

Sadly I have buds with wives that are able and willing but they expect them to keep up with their $3,000 roadies on a dept store mtn bike and $10 bike shorts. I realize some women just don't want to ride but I'm talking about women that are willing and able.