Wizwheels 3.3?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Don Boring, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Don Boring

    Don Boring Guest

    Anyone own a Wizwheelz, and if so, what do you think about it.

    Safety. Handling. Visibility on Road. Wow Factor.

    D.B.

    Tags:

  2. Drrecumbnt

    Drrecumbnt Guest

  3. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

  4. John W

    John W Guest

    > Just sold mine, it was great. Review in Bentrideronline.

    If it was great then why did you sell it?

    John

  5. I sold my P-38, Challenge Taifun, GRR. Each was great. In some ways. Then I bought a Ti Rush. It's
    greater. In some ways. YMMV, as always. ;-))

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "John W" wrote
    > > Just sold mine, it was great. Review in Bentrideronline.
    >
    > If it was great then why did you sell it?
    >
    > John

  6. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

  7. John W

    John W Guest

    > > Just sold mine, it was great. Review in Bentrideronline.
    >
    > I've ridden his, and it _is_ great. He had special financial "need". (~:

    I have been thinking about getting a TerraTrike 3.4 and was wondering what the difference is between
    the 3.4 and the 3.3. Since there has been a substantial drop in price they had to cut corners
    somewhere.

    John

  8. John Rooker

    John Rooker Guest

    I'm just about to order a 3.4. Most of the changes are improvements, some sidegrades and a couple
    downgrades that really don't amount to much. The 3.4 is now shipping and it looks like about a 5
    week lead time on delivery at this point.

    The following is from the Wizwheelz site:

    Upgrades: The 3.4 will have a better looking, more curvaceous handlebar. The leading edge of the
    seat will be curved downward a bit for increased rider comfort. Also, the frame will be stiffer and
    stronger in a few key locations.

    Downgrades: We have changed from an FSA crank to a Tiagra crank and we are using a Velocity box rim
    instead of a Velocity aero rim (a hardly noticible $10 difference). These new components work just
    great for this application.

    Lateral Changes: We are switching from a mountain group to a road group so we will be using the
    Tiagra components over the Deore. Also, the 3.4 will be Ferrari Red instead of Yellow.

    Other than that, this is the same trike as the 3.3 that received such rave reviews and has a proven
    track record (there are over 200 version
    3.3s on the road!). The weight is the same and we will continue using the Deore mechanical disc
    brakes, Dura Ace shifters, hand built Velocity wheels, and the same -Made in the USA- frameset
    with a lifetime warranty (see website for details).

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:58:31 -0600, "John W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Just sold mine, it was great. Review in Bentrideronline.
    >>
    >> I've ridden his, and it _is_ great. He had special financial "need". (~:
    >
    >I have been thinking about getting a TerraTrike 3.4 and was wondering what the difference is
    >between the 3.4 and the 3.3. Since there has been a substantial drop in price they had to cut
    >corners somewhere.
    >
    >John

  9. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

  10. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    One nice little upgrade: Stainless steel hardware- The 3.3's nuts and bolt heads started rusting the
    first night uncovered camping, from the dew. Was simple enough to paint them up with touchup paint,
    but SS is much more suitable.

  11. John W

    John W Guest

    > 8 y/o outgrew Piccolo behind TT. Don't think the tandems are worth 5k+. So, TWO Hase Kettwiesels
    > with a trailer hitch, tandem when I want, 2
    trikes
    > other times :) (I may yet have another TT in my future, as my wallet recovers)
    >
    > http://www.hostelshoppe.com/images/products/lb_ketttandem.jpg

    What do you think of your Kettwiesel? I was at Stevens Point rally last year and looked at the
    Kettwiesel. My wife rode one around the demo track and seemed to like it. I never got around to
    riding it myself. How does the delta Kettwiesel compare to the tadpole TerraTrike? How is the
    handling, does it seem tippy? The one thing that worried me about the Kettwiesel was the gearing,
    did not seem like it had low enough gears for a trike.

    John

  12. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "John W" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> 8 y/o outgrew Piccolo behind TT. Don't think the tandems are worth 5k+. So, TWO Hase Kettwiesels
    >> with a trailer hitch, tandem when I want, 2
    > trikes
    >> other times :) (I may yet have another TT in my future, as my wallet recovers)
    >>
    >> http://www.hostelshoppe.com/images/products/lb_ketttandem.jpg
    >
    > What do you think of your Kettwiesel? I was at Stevens Point rally last year and looked at the
    > Kettwiesel. My wife rode one around the demo track and seemed to like it. I never got around to
    > riding it myself. How does the delta Kettwiesel compare to the tadpole TerraTrike? How is the
    > handling, does it seem tippy? The one thing that worried me about the Kettwiesel was the gearing,
    > did not seem like it had low enough gears for a trike.
    >
    > John

    I like it a lot. Not the least bit tippy, very sporting indeed. Whole different feel than a tadpole,
    more bike like, less go cart. I haven't put many miles on it as it has a derailer problem and is in
    the LBS for a week. Felt slow, but as I laid off riding all winter, might just be ME! :) Low enough
    gears, or not enough? 1st seems low enough, though we are very flat here. I'll try to find one with
    the mountain drive for our second one, use that to captain the tandem. Overall I'm VERY impressed
    with the concept and execution. Very well thought out, adjusts from 4' something to 6'+ in a minute,
    all quick release adjustments. Comes with headlight and tailight, both dyno driven. Rubber bumper on
    the back frame so you can stand it up for storage. A very nice quality product, I'm very happy so
    far. I'll let you know more riding details when I get it back next week.

  13. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "John W" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >> >
    > > What do you think of your Kettwiesel? I was at Stevens Point rally last year and looked at the
    > > Kettwiesel. My wife rode one around the demo track and seemed to like it. I never got around to
    > > riding it myself. How does the delta Kettwiesel compare to the tadpole TerraTrike? How is the
    > > handling, does it seem tippy? The one thing that worried me about the Kettwiesel was the
    > > gearing, did not seem like it had low enough gears for a trike.
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > I like it a lot. Not the least bit tippy, very sporting indeed. Whole different feel than a
    > tadpole, more bike like, less go cart. I haven't put many miles on it as it has a derailer
    > problem and is in the LBS for a week. Felt slow, but as I laid off riding all winter, might just
    > be ME! :) Low enough gears, or not enough? 1st seems low enough, though we are very flat here.
    > I'll try to find one with the mountain drive for our second one, use that to captain the tandem.
    > Overall I'm VERY impressed with the concept and execution. Very well thought out, adjusts from 4'
    > something to 6'+ in a minute, all quick release adjustments. Comes with headlight and tailight,
    > both dyno driven. Rubber bumper on the back frame so you can stand it up for storage. A very nice
    > quality product, I'm very happy so far. I'll let you know more riding details when I get it back
    > next week.

    I got a Kett Wiesel about a year ago and I like it very much. I got it with the 9-speed gearing
    which I do not consider adequate (need lower gears) for taking out on the road, but it is fine for
    in town. It is not tippy cornering at all provided you use the brains God gave you. The marvelous
    thing about this delta trike is that you can make turn arounds that are truly sharp requiring very
    little space. It is light for a trike and it is fast (for a trike). I also have a tadpole trike (Wiz
    Wheel Terra Trike) and I can attest that the deltas are less squirrelly going down the road at speed
    than any tadpole. In fact, I consider that deltas have an undeservedly bad reputation compared to
    tapdpoles. If you are not into ultimate speed, deltas make the most sense. They just plain steer and
    handle better. As MLB said, they are more like a bike and less like a go cart. I did have to put a
    thick sponge mat over the seat as I do not find any mush seat comfy.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  14. Donn Cave

    Donn Cave Guest

    Quoth [email protected] (Edward Dolan): ...
    | I got a Kett Wiesel about a year ago and I like it very much. I got it with the 9-speed gearing
    | which I do not consider adequate (need lower gears) for taking out on the road, but it is fine for
    | in town. It is not tippy cornering at all provided you use the brains God gave you. The marvelous
    | thing about this delta trike is that you can make turn arounds that are truly sharp requiring very
    | little space. It is light for a trike and it is fast (for a trike).

    I've only seen them in a local shop, but I thought that was the idea. The Kettwiesel is light and
    fast - and the Lepus is more like a classic touring option, though appeared to be targeted more at
    practical everyday transportation. I don't remember, but I bet the Lepus comes with low gears.

    Donn

  15. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Quoth [email protected] (Edward Dolan): ...
    > | I got a Kett Wiesel about a year ago and I like it very much. I got it with the 9-speed gearing
    > | which I do not consider adequate (need lower gears) for taking out on the road, but it is fine
    > | for in town. It is not tippy cornering at all provided you use the brains God gave you. The
    > | marvelous thing about this delta trike is that you can make turn arounds that are truly sharp
    > | requiring very little space. It is light for a trike and it is fast (for a trike).
    >
    > I've only seen them in a local shop, but I thought that was the idea. The Kettwiesel is light and
    > fast - and the Lepus is more like a classic touring option, though appeared to be targeted more at
    > practical everyday transportation. I don't remember, but I bet the Lepus comes with low gears.
    >
    > Donn

    The Lepus comes with plenty of low gears but is designed as you surmised more for practical every
    day transportaion than sport riding. The Kett Wiesel comes in two versions, a 9-speed and an
    18-speed, the latter achieved by use of the Schlumpf Mountain Drive two-speed bottom bracket. This
    unfortunately will add about $450. to the cost of the trike, a not insignificant amount. But if you
    need the wider gear range it might be worth it.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  16. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    > bracket. This unfortunately will add about $450. to the cost of the trike, a not insignificant
    > amount. But if you need the wider gear range it might be worth it.
    >
    > Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    Would it be possible to add a another ring to the front? Guessing the factory would do that if it
    was that simple? Is it the angle of the rear derailer that makes this different?

  17. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    MLB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > bracket. This unfortunately will add about $450. to the cost of the trike, a not insignificant
    > > amount. But if you need the wider gear range it might be worth it.
    > >
    > > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
    > >

    > Would it be possible to add a another ring to the front? Guessing the factory would do that if it
    > was that simple? Is it the angle of the rear derailer that makes this different?

    The problem is not at the rear end of the trike but at the front end. It has been designed with a
    very substantial protective tubing and holder which feeds the chain onto a chainwheel with a
    chainguard on both the inside and outside of the chainwheel. It occurred to me too to add another
    chainwheel and then hand shift it when I needed those lower gears. But it works so smooth the way it
    is that I have been reluctant to make the modification. I do have low enough gears for in town
    riding the way it is now, but I think if I were venturing out into the hills I would have to rethink
    it. I have ridden the Kett Wiesel with the bottom bracket gearing (2-speed) and it worked great, but
    I just did not want to spend the extra bucks for it.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  18. > Would it be possible to add a another ring to the front? Guessing the factory would do that if it
    > was that simple? Is it the angle of the rear derailer that makes this different?

    I have a Kettwiesel and have considered this. But one problem is taking up the chain slack. The
    trike somes with a short arm (Shimano 105 in my case) derailer which *just* takes up the slack from
    the 9 speed. If you try a long armed derailer (with a double chainring) then you come up against
    ground clearance issues, made worse on the Kettwiesel by the sloping rear axles that bring the
    central mounted derailer even closer to the ground.

    Regards, Simon
    --
    http://home.arcor.de/zoxed

  19. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    > > > bracket. This unfortunately will add about $450. to the cost of the trike, a not insignificant
    > > > amount. But if you need the wider gear range it might be worth it.
    > > >
    > > > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
    > > >

    > > Would it be possible to add a another ring to the front? Guessing the factory would do that if
    > > it was that simple? Is it the angle of the rear derailer that makes this different?

    Would a SRAM Dual Drive fit into the rear drive train of this trike? I havn't heard of such a thing
    on a Kett but it should be cheaper than a SpeedDrive.

  20. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    Do you guys that have a Kett run the mid double pulleys on the chain? In looking at pics of Ketts
    many have no pulleys and a straight chain path to the derailer. Seems like that 180 turn around has
    to be pretty highly inefficient?? Is it just to maintain the chain tension when adjusting the trike
    length? If I'm the only one riding this one (getting another for wife and son) could I eliminate
    both or maybe one of them and just shorten the chain accordingly?