UK and Europe · Public discussion

Worry, worry, fret, fret ...

Started by Wafflycathcsdir · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,120 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 March 2003
Last activity
28 March 2003
Original author
Wafflycathcsdir
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,120
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It's a hard life being a mother. This morning is the first one Vernon & I have allowed Nathan to
    cycle to school unaccompanied.

    I *know* you can't wrap them in cotton wool, but we do get HGVs on narrow roads etc., etc. What we
    did was let Nathan cycle & later I set off with his school bags a la cage mode, so he wouldn't be
    weighed down by three ton of school stuff - they don't have desks these days and all books are
    transported to & from school on a daily basis - then there's the games kit and the graphics kit ...
    This afternoon, either V or I will go to pick up the bags so Nathan can cycle home okay.

    Nathan set off with helmet on bonce and wearing his fluorescent/reflective waistcoat, as all his
    school clothes are dark (black apart from white shirt & marroon jersey) - black shoes, socks,
    trousers & fleece.

    On the plus side, I *know* it's helping him develop road sense & I *know* it's all part of growing
    up and gaining some independence from the old farts, but as a mother I still *worry*. Heaven help
    any driver who hurts my son - he or she would have to hide for the rest of his/her life!

    Cheers, helen s (now in full worry mode for the solo return cycle ride from school to home ...)

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  2. email hidden (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) in said:

    It's a hard life being a mother. This morning is the first one Vernon & I have allowed Nathan to
    cycle to school unaccompanied.

    I *know* you can't wrap them in cotton wool, but we do get HGVs on narrow roads etc., etc. What we
    did was let Nathan cycle & later I set off with his school bags a la cage mode, so he wouldn't be
    weighed down by three ton of school

    I'm sure he has had an excellent cycling teacher thus far in his life! How old is Nathan? Does his
    school have decent facilities for cyclists?

    Just out of interest, why are you caging his equipment to him, and not cycling yourself?

    My fiancee still worries about me cycling, and I *have* to text her to let her know I've arrived
    home safely!

    I am taking her for her first cycling experience (in about 20 years) soon. Wish me luck!

    Love and showers from Rich xx

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  3. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a hard life being a mother. This morning is the first one Vernon & I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    allowed Nathan to cycle to school unaccompanied.

    Well done. Nathan will doubtless be fine and you will have spent the day worrying for nothing.

    No too sure about doing the school run just for the books -- but I guess this is a short term fix.

    Look at it from Nathan's point of view. He knows he is trusted, he knows he has cycled the route
    many times before with you, he has a new measure of freedom and a time slot where he is not
    'controlled' by either school or home. If he uses that responsibly it will doubtless grow -- so, by
    the time some of his mates are let off the apron strings he will have learned to use the freedom
    sensibly while they may be drunk on their new found freedom.

    Also, he has his own personal transport -- so his freedom is less constrained than those who always
    have to be caged to get from A to B.

    Good move. A very minor increase in risk today for a longer term reduction in risk due to increased
    personal responsibility.

    Now -- enjoy your day of fretting -- and remember, no news is good news. Bad news travels like the
    wind. Good news strolls round when its ready for tea.

    T

  4. wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter said:

    It's a hard life being a mother. This morning is the first one Vernon & I have allowed Nathan to
    cycle to school unaccompanied.

    I *know* you can't wrap them in cotton wool, but we do get HGVs on narrow roads etc., etc.

    From what you've written before, I know that you've done plenty of cycling with Nathan on the roads.
    So by now, he would have learnt the correct distance to ride from the edge and how to make right
    turns, etc. I reckon there's a greater chance of him injuring himself slipping over in the
    playground than getting in trouble on the way there.

    It's the parents that have never cycled with their children who should worry!

    ~PB

  5. Quoted message said:

    Well done. Nathan will doubtless be fine and you will have spent the day worrying for nothing.

    Oh I really, really hope so - but it doesn't stop the maternal instinct from going into overdrive!

    Quoted message said:

    No too sure about doing the school run just for the books -- but I guess this is a short term fix.

    Oh it is - We are waiting until Thursday to purchase *hopefully* one of the locakble rack packs from
    Lidl which should be big enough to take his books at least, plus provide daytime storage for helmet
    etc. I'm serious in whinging about the amount of stuff he has to carry everyday - it is
    *ridiculous*. Back pack with books - stuffed full & heavy - games holdall full of gym/games stuff, &
    A2 portfolio for graphics ... it's not fun! It's way more than he's had to carry before, now he's on
    GCSEs. We'll be working out the most effective transportation over the cvoming days via trial &
    error I think.

    Quoted message said:

    Look at it from Nathan's point of view. He knows he is trusted, he knows he has cycled the route
    many times before with you, he has a new measure of freedom and a time slot where he is not
    'controlled' by either school or home. If he uses that responsibly it will doubtless grow -- so, by
    the time some of his mates are let off the apron strings he will have learned to use the freedom
    sensibly while they may be drunk on their new found freedom.

    That's the theory 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Also, he has his own personal transport -- so his freedom is less constrained than those who always
    have to be caged to get from A to B.

    Good move. A very minor increase in risk today for a longer term reduction in risk due to increased
    personal responsibility.

    True, but still that old maternal instinct ..

    Quoted message said:

    Now -- enjoy your day of fretting -- and remember, no news is good news. Bad news travels like the
    wind. Good news strolls round when its ready for tea.

    True - hmm... do I have any fingernails left?

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Quoted message said:

    I'm sure he has had an excellent cycling teacher thus far in his life! How old is Nathan? Does his
    school have decent facilities for cyclists?

    Well, a sort of partially covered bike shed with lots of bike racks. Nowhere to store bike helmet -
    his teacher last year insisted on advance notice of his cycling to be able to give permission to
    store his helmet in a locked cupboard during the day. Go figure.

    Quoted message said:


    Just out of interest, why are you caging his equipment to him, and not cycling yourself?

    I may be large, but I am not a commando - Back pack full of books + large graphics folio do not easy
    transport make. Besides which the idea is to allow Nathan to cycle alone, without his mother huffing
    & puffing along acting as a cycling pack mule 🙂 We'll sort out the most effective way to transport
    heavies by bike over the coming days.

    Quoted message said:


    My fiancee still worries about me cycling, and I *have* to text her to let her know I've arrived
    home safely!

    I am taking her for her first cycling experience (in about 20 years) soon. Wish me luck!

    Good luck & be gentle on her - encourage, don't nag if she's slower than you & finds it hard going.

    Quoted message said:


    Love and showers from Rich xx

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Quoted message said:

    From what you've written before, I know that you've done plenty of cycling with Nathan on the
    roads. So by now, he would have learnt the correct distance to ride from the edge and how to make
    right turns, etc. I reckon there's a greater chance of him injuring himself slipping over in the
    playground than getting in trouble on the way there.

    You are correct, but it doesn't stop the innate mother instinct from going into overdrive ;-)

    Quoted message said:


    It's the parents that have never cycled with their children who should worry!

    Indeed.

    Quoted message said:

    ~PB

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, a sort of partially covered bike shed with lots of bike racks.


    Nowhere to

    Quoted message said:

    store bike helmet - his teacher last year insisted on advance notice of


    his

    Quoted message said:

    cycling to be able to give permission to store his helmet in a locked


    cupboard

    Quoted message said:

    during the day. Go figure.

    Soiunds like a positive attitude to cycling. Obviously its OK for the kids to die early of obesity
    but taking excercise is to be surrounded by H&S Nazis and their rules 🙁

    T

  9. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Oh I really, really hope so - but it doesn't stop the maternal instinct


    from

    Quoted message said:

    going into overdrive!

    No cure for that -- sorry.

    Quoted message said:


    That's the theory 🙂

    We all survived!!

    T

  10. Tony W said:

    "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, a sort of partially covered bike shed with lots of bike racks.


    Nowhere to

    Quoted message said:

    store bike helmet - his teacher last year insisted on advance notice of


    his

    Quoted message said:

    cycling to be able to give permission to store his helmet in a locked


    cupboard

    Quoted message said:

    during the day. Go figure.

    Soiunds like a positive attitude to cycling. Obviously its OK for the kids to die early of obesity
    but taking excercise is to be surrounded by H&S Nazis and their rules 🙁

    T

    One local school had to admit that their ban on cycling to school could not be policed. Instead they
    said that they would insist that anyone who cycled (ie brought a cycle into school) had to have a
    helmet and that they would not allow helmets on the premises as they had no secure storage.

    These attitudes makes you want to cry.

    John B

  11. [email hidden] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From what you've written before, I know that you've done plenty of cycling with Nathan on the
    roads. So by now, he would have learnt the correct distance to ride from the edge and how to make
    right turns, etc.

    Correct. He's been well taught and understands how to ride on the road. He should be OK.

    Quoted message said:

    You are correct, but it doesn't stop the innate mother instinct from going into overdrive ;-)

    Also correct. There is nothing you can do about this. The alternative is never to let him out of
    your sight. At some stage you have to let go a bit. You've prepared him as well as you can. You can
    do no more.

    --
    Dave...

  12. "John B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    One local school had to admit that their ban on cycling to school could


    not be

    Quoted message said:

    policed. Instead they said that they would insist that anyone who cycled (ie


    brought a

    Quoted message said:

    cycle into school) had to have a helmet and that they would not allow


    helmets

    Quoted message said:

    on the premises as they had no secure storage.

    These attitudes makes you want to cry.

    Such attitudes should be exposed for the cant that they are.

    T

  13. wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter said:

    It's a hard life being a mother. This morning is the first one Vernon & I have allowed Nathan to
    cycle to school unaccompanied.

    But that's what parents are for. And kids try very hard to enable parents to fulfil their purpose
    in life ;-)

    Tony

    -- raven-family.comraven-family.com

    "You can't scare me, I've got kids"

  14. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" wrote >

    Nathan set off with helmet on bonce and wearing his fluorescent/reflective

    Quoted message said:

    waistcoat, as all his school clothes are dark (black apart from white


    shirt &

    Quoted message said:

    marroon jersey) - black shoes, socks, trousers & fleece.

    Next time put his helmet on his head...

    Motorists who have passed me on my bike tell me that a flashing blinkie light does more for
    visibility than a reflective/fluorescent vest, even in daytime. Seems to be especially true in
    inclement weather.
    --
    mark

  15. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How old is Nathan? Does his school have decent facilities for cyclists?

    Well, a sort of partially covered bike shed with lots of bike racks.


    Nowhere to

    Quoted message said:

    store bike helmet - his teacher last year insisted on advance notice of


    his

    Quoted message said:

    cycling to be able to give permission to store his helmet in a locked


    cupboard

    Quoted message said:

    during the day. Go figure.


    I I've always locked my helmet to the D-lock through one of the straps, taking care to position it
    so that it won't fill up with rain or snow during the work day. The D-lock, of course, is then
    locked to the bike frame, at least one bike wheel, and a fixed object.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Just out of interest, why are you caging his equipment to him, and not cycling yourself?

    I may be large, but I am not a commando - Back pack full of books + large graphics folio do not
    easy transport make. Besides which the idea is to


    allow

    Quoted message said:

    Nathan to cycle alone, without his mother huffing & puffing along acting


    as a

    Quoted message said:

    cycling pack mule 🙂 We'll sort out the most effective way to transport


    heavies

    Quoted message said:

    by bike over the coming days.


    I've been quite happy with a large messenger bag augented by a Carradice seat bag. The messenger bag
    is nice because it rides lower on me for better stability on the bike than a backpack would offer,
    it comes with me when I get off the bike (no worries of theft), and it has an attachment point for a
    blinkie / LED light.
    --
    mark

  16. "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well done. Nathan will doubtless be fine and you will have spent the day worrying for nothing.

    Oh I really, really hope so - but it doesn't stop the maternal instinct


    from

    Quoted message said:

    going into overdrive!

    I may have mentioned previously how in 1981/2, I was finally allowed to cycle past Pound Lane,
    Thatcham (we lived there in the early 80s) unaccompanied (my parents were worried about a depot
    there where there were lots of HGVs). My mum would always say "be careful on your bike, with all
    that traffic".

    Unfortunately due to silly rules I wasn't allowed to cycle to secondary school (but I certainly make
    up for it now)

    Every time I go out now my mum *still* says "be careful on your bike, with all that traffic". I was
    *31* last week 😉

    Alex

  17. John B <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    One local school had to admit that their ban on cycling to school could not be policed. Instead
    they said that they would insist that anyone who cycled (ie brought a cycle into school) had to
    have a helmet and that they would not allow helmets on the premises as they had no secure storage.

    An extreme example of how helmet compulsion reduces cycling. Luckily secure indoor helmet storage is
    not required. This link shows how to secure a bike using a D lock and a non-curly cable.

    yellowjersey.orgHOW2LOCK.JPG

    The cable simply has to be threaded though the helmet slats to secure that as well.

    --
    Dave...

  18. "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Every time I go out now my mum *still* says "be careful on your bike, with all that traffic". I
    was *31* last week 😉

    Mine used to worry about me cycling too until I was well into my thirties. That's why I told Helen
    there's really nothing she can do about it. It goes with motherhood. No amount of reassurance can
    overcome her certain knowledge that cyclists sometimes get hurt. At least he's less likely than the
    rest of us to get paving-slabbed if he's caught wearing bib shorts.

    --
    Dave...

  19. Mr R@t said:

    Every time I go out now my mum *still* says "be careful on your bike, with all that traffic". I
    was *31* last week 😉

    I can remember dropping in on my Nanna once on the way home from work. At the time, the journey home
    from my grandparents' house was about 8 miles, mostly along the A26 (Tunbridge Wells to
    Crowborough). She was shocked that I planned to cycle home and made me promise to phone her as soon
    as I arrived.

    Of course, I forgot. I was so used to cycling that way (sometimes more than once a day) that I
    didn't think when I got home "Ooh, I've just done something out of the ordinary, someone might be
    worried". So a couple of hours later I received a frantic phone call to check that I'd arrived
    home safely.

    I was 24 at the time (soon afterwards I got into the habit of going there for dinner every Tuesday
    evening, and she got used to the idea of me riding home, but of course she still worries).

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( juggler.netdanny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  20. I still phone my parents when I've arrived home safely (by Tube & bus)!

    Helen Age 44¾

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.