Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Worst thing about riding a recumbent

Started by Mike Schwab · · Last activity · 11 posts · 804 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
19 May 2004
Last activity
22 May 2004
Original author
Mike Schwab
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
804
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
    worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
    closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
    dozen occurences tonight.

    Yes the weather was scary and got my seat quite wet Tuesday afternoon.
    Then, at Lynn Miller's urging, I rode to Sports Mart and got wicking
    underwear and over shorts. And I decided to test them by riding home.
    It was a beautiful evening for a ride. Total for the day is 55.3
    miles. 1 miles for lunch, about 7 miles to sports mart, and the rest
    going home.

  2. "Mike Schwab" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
    worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
    closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
    dozen occurences tonight.


    [...]

    Nope, not this Ed as I don't believe I have ever said anything about getting
    insects in your mouth while riding your bike, but it happens. What I really
    hate is getting insects in my eyes. Many is the time I have had to stop to
    rub my eyes because of it. But the absolute worst experience is to ride your
    bike in August when the May Flies finally come out here in Minnesota and
    they are flying about in their billions. It is total splatter time. Good
    Grief! What a mess!

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  3. Edward Dolan said:

    "Mike Schwab" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
    worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
    closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
    dozen occurences tonight.

    [...]

    Nope, not this Ed as I don't believe I have ever said anything about getting
    insects in your mouth while riding your bike, but it happens. What I really
    hate is getting insects in my eyes. Many is the time I have had to stop to
    rub my eyes because of it. But the absolute worst experience is to ride your
    bike in August when the May Flies finally come out here in Minnesota and
    they are flying about in their billions. It is total splatter time. Good
    Grief! What a mess!

    Try riding the I&M Canal (LaSalle-Peru, IL to Rockdale, IL) at night
    during the summer for maximizing bug inhalation.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

  4. Mike Schwab said:

    We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
    worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
    closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
    dozen occurences tonight.

    Maybe it was Ben Fox. 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Yes the weather was scary and got my seat quite wet Tuesday afternoon.
    Then, at Lynn Miller's urging, I rode to Sports Mart and got wicking
    underwear and over shorts. And I decided to test them by riding home.
    It was a beautiful evening for a ride. Total for the day is 55.3
    miles. 1 miles for lunch, about 7 miles to sports mart, and the rest
    going home.

    What is Lynn riding these days?

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

  5. "Tom Sherman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Edward Dolan said:

    "Mike Schwab" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    We'll Ed (I think), I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
    worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard to keep my mouth
    closed to avoid the flying insects trying to get eaten by me. About a
    dozen occurences tonight.

    [...]

    Nope, not this Ed as I don't believe I have ever said anything about


    getting

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    insects in your mouth while riding your bike, but it happens. What I


    really

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hate is getting insects in my eyes. Many is the time I have had to stop


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rub my eyes because of it. But the absolute worst experience is to ride


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bike in August when the May Flies finally come out here in Minnesota


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    they are flying about in their billions. It is total splatter time. Good
    Grief! What a mess!

    Try riding the I&M Canal (LaSalle-Peru, IL to Rockdale, IL) at night
    during the summer for maximizing bug inhalation.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

    I have got all the state bike maps for Illinois and it appears that some day
    that northern Illinois loop will be one of the greatest bike tours in the
    entire country.

    Damn it all to hell, I need to know what specific city you are a resident
    of. That "Quad City Area" designation is driving me stark raving mad. I am
    now guessing East Moline from your most recent post, but I also think it
    could be Rock Island from your past posts. Have mercy on me and give me a
    clue at least. I can't get to sleep for thinking on this quandary

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  6. Actually, it is the "surf-and-UCSC flies" who never stop at stop signs
    and rear-end someone like me who does, or people who ride on the wrong
    side of the road, etc., etc., etc., isn't it!?! ;-) This Bike To
    Work nonsense is getting to me. Then 358 normal riding days...

    Chris Jordan
    Santa Cruz, CA.

    "Edward Dolan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Nope, not this Ed as I don't believe I have ever said anything about getting
    insects in your mouth while riding your bike, but it happens. What I really
    hate is getting insects in my eyes. Many is the time I have had to stop to
    rub my eyes because of it. But the absolute worst experience is to ride your
    bike in August when the May Flies finally come out here in Minnesota and
    they are flying about in their billions. It is total splatter time. Good
    Grief! What a mess!

  7. Edward Dolan said:

    ...
    Damn it all to hell, I need to know what specific city you are a resident
    of. That "Quad City Area" designation is driving me stark raving mad. I am
    now guessing East Moline from your most recent post, but I also think it
    could be Rock Island from your past posts. Have mercy on me and give me a
    clue at least. I can't get to sleep for thinking on this quandary

    I was in EM for work reasons (construction at the Harvester Works).

    Think greater metropolitan area.

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

  8. A few months ago, Tom wrote he lives near the Quad Cities airport. From
    memory of my visit a few years ago, This is South of the Mississippi
    River near the central interstate bridge. Unless you are stopping by,
    what do you need more accuracy for?

    Tom Sherman said:

    =

    Quoted message said:

    Edward Dolan wrote:
    =

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...
    Damn it all to hell, I need to know what specific city you are a resi=


    dent

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of. That "Quad City Area" designation is driving me stark raving mad=


    =2E I am

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    now guessing East Moline from your most recent post, but I also think=


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    could be Rock Island from your past posts. Have mercy on me and give =


    me a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    clue at least. I can't get to sleep for thinking on this quandary


    =

    Quoted message said:

    I was in EM for work reasons (construction at the Harvester Works).
    =

    Quoted message said:

    Think greater metropolitan area.
    =

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Tom Sherman =96 Quad City Area

  9. "Mike Schwab" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    A few months ago, Tom wrote he lives near the Quad Cities airport. From
    memory of my visit a few years ago, This is South of the Mississippi
    River near the central interstate bridge. Unless you are stopping by,
    what do you need more accuracy for?

    Curiosity pure and simple. If I lived in the Quad Cities, I would want to
    say which one of those cities I was from. I would have at least that much
    pride in the city in which I lived and paid taxes. But apparently, that is
    not how it works with Mr. Sherman and many others on this newsgroup.

    For instance, I am from a small town in SW Minnesota. No one needs to know
    the exact town because that is a sufficient identification to give others
    some sense of where I am coming from. None of those Quad Cities are small
    places. They are all quite large. If I wanted to tell people something about
    where I was from, why not just say Rock Island or Moline? Why say Quad
    Cities? However, now I notice he is saying Quad City Area which is even
    worse. If that is the way he is, then why not just say Illinois and be done
    with it. The ways of Mr. Sherman are mysterious indeed!

    --
    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  10. Quoted message said:

    I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
    worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard
    to keep my mouth closed to avoid the flying insects
    trying to get eaten by me. About a dozen occurences
    tonight.

    Insects are nutritious. They are a good source of fats, carbohydrates
    and protein. The Paiutes of the Great Basin ate fly larva as a staple
    of their diet. Pah-ute meant 'fly eater' in a Shoshone dialect I
    believe. These are the fly larva found around the salt sinks at the
    edge of the water, of the brine fly. Dip em out, dry em, pound them
    into a (tasty?) nutritous flour. Toss a couple of Lace Wings in for a
    more pungent, spicy experience. Serve with a chilled white wine.

  11. "GeoB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I hate to admit it, but you were right about the
    worst thing in riding a recumbent. I found it hard
    to keep my mouth closed to avoid the flying insects
    trying to get eaten by me. About a dozen occurences
    tonight.

    Insects are nutritious. They are a good source of fats, carbohydrates
    and protein. The Paiutes of the Great Basin ate fly larva as a staple
    of their diet. Pah-ute meant 'fly eater' in a Shoshone dialect I
    believe. These are the fly larva found around the salt sinks at the
    edge of the water, of the brine fly. Dip em out, dry em, pound them
    into a (tasty?) nutritous flour. Toss a couple of Lace Wings in for a
    more pungent, spicy experience. Serve with a chilled white wine.

    That might be hard to do while riding 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.