rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Worst Unicyle Wipeout

Started by The UniSLAB · · Last activity · 27 posts · 227 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
30 June 2007
Last activity
6 July 2007
Original author
The UniSLAB
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
227
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ive never had official concussions because i havent gone to the hospital
    for them, but ive had some bad head injuries. i learned my helmet
    lesson in a scooter high jump comitition and the concrete floor won. i
    also got hit in the head with a drive from a golf ball. i couldnt hear
    anything and couldnt walk without my friends help. i never knew that
    golf was a contact sport!!

    --
    oneisenough
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oneisenough's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14061
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62218

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. At the beginning of the 98/99 ski season I was at Sugar Bowl and the
    table tops were really small. I went off of one and completely cleared
    the landing. I was used to going that big (15-20 ft) but usually
    landed on a slope, so landing on flat I wasn't used to the impact and
    smacked the back of my head. Luckily I was wearing a helmet.

    A couple of weeks later I did a similar thing at Kirkwood and
    everything whent black, then a pinhole of black and white, widened to
    full view then color.

    --
    skilewis74
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62218

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. skilewis74 said:

    widened to full view, then color.

    ..over about a minute.

    In April, I think, that same year I was snowboarding at Kirkwood again
    (the previous two were on skis). I was going about 35 mph across a
    flat groomed area and crossed a section of softer snow and tucked the
    board's nose. I hit head first kind of hard, fliped over, landed on
    the nose of the board which sprung me up in the air really high. It
    felt like I was up there for a couple of seconds, at first that didn't
    seem possible, but I just calculated it would have been only 16 ft. for
    2 sec. I came down from that on the back of my head again this time
    REALLY hard. I came to a rest face first in the snow and at first I
    couldn't feel anything and I thought, "OH [censored]! I just broke my
    neck!!" I also just realized I had my eyes closed from just after
    tucking the nose. After a couple of seconds I could feel my toes, then
    feet, legs, torso, etc. over a couple of minutes. I decided to call it
    a day.:o But I was back on my skis the next day and felt fine, I just
    took it easy for a couple of days.

    --
    skilewis74
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62218

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Sorry it’s so long, to get to the juicy stuff skip to the next
    post.

    On May 3rd, 1999 (all of these were the same season and all wearing a
    helmet), I was skiing at Alpine Meadows. I was intending to buy a
    season pass for the following season, but left my checkbook at home (at
    Alpine you can ski the tail end of the previous season as well). The
    Special Tickets lady was nice and gave me a free pass, since I said I'd
    be back the next day to buy the full pass (I think it was about $650
    for a mid-week).

    After breakfast that morning I had never tried prune juice and drank an
    eight ounce glass of the apparently potent stuff, unaware as to the
    reason why most people drink it. Bad idea. All of a sudden I have to
    go to the bathroom REALLLLLLY BAAAAAD! I just barely made it. Out
    came everything, including my breakfast.

    Thirty minutes later I finally finished and felt OK, so I headed to the
    slopes.

    It was snowing really hard and virtually a complete white-out. The
    worst visibility I'd ever been in. My first run I whent into 'Alpine
    Bowl ' (http://tinyurl.com/367nbo)skiers right of the Summit 6 Chair
    and after about 20 seconds I could only see 5-10 ft. in front of me,
    and it was hard to tell what was uphill or down. I only really only
    had a sensation of speed, so it was very disorienting. I remembered
    reading that in a white-out visiblily was much better in the trees. So
    I headed left to where I knew there was some good tree skiing close by,
    keeping my speed to a crawl, since I was essentially blind. That was
    much better!🙂 I could now see about 40 ft.

    A couple of hours later I told myself "Lewis, you aren't doing so well.
    You've skied these snow conditions a lot better than this." There was
    about 6-10" of power on top of hardpack. I hadn't seemed to master the
    art of powder skiing, I was more comfortable on Ice or crud. But since
    that was the biggest area I needed to improve (along with moguls), so I
    could hopefully get on the ski patrol the fallowing season, I decided
    to stay out there.

    Another hour later out of nowhere appeared a halfpipe, which I also
    hadn't spent a lot of time practicing. This new challenge along w/ the
    fact the snow was almost twice as deep from it blowing off the
    sidewalls, leaving chunky ice, was not a welcome discovery considering
    my diminished skill that day. I decided I could either do big fast
    carves down or hike back up. I was lazy so I skied down the pipe (I
    later realized I could have also skied up and out).

    --
    skilewis74
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62218

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. I got to the bottom and realized they had built a wide mound there like
    a single whop-de-doo. There was a spot between it and the end of the
    pipe, but there was a large tree soon after and I wasn’t sure I
    would be able to negotiate around it. To the left there was a bit of
    overlap w/ my angle and w/ my speed, I’d be launched at a weird
    angle. So I decided to go straight over. I hit the knoll at about
    35-40 mph and got about 20 ft up in the air. I tucked my feet to my
    chest (my comfortable air position) and then stuck my legs out instead
    of down. I probably would have been fine if I were on a black diamond
    slope, but since it was a flat blue, I landed in a sitting position.

    I couldn’t move, it felt like I landed in a big bomb hole and
    berried my legs, but that didn’t make sense because I could see
    the toes of my boots. About thirty seconds later my back started
    hurting like crazy. After 5 min. of screaming “HELP!!!!!!”
    like a broken record someone on the chairlift 50 yrds away said
    they’d tell the ski patrol.

    15 minutes later and the patrol got there. Another hour and I got to
    the bottom of the hill, and I’m like “Great, now I can get
    some morphine and get rid of some of this pain!🙂” But I was
    practically hyperventilating consequently they were having difficulty
    getting my vitals. “Calm down, take slow deep breaths and we can
    probably give you some morphine,” one of the medics said. I gave
    up after a couple of minutes, then endured the bumpy one hour ride w/
    chains to the Tuckee hospital, and finally got some morphine.

    A several hour ambulance ride to South Lake Tahoe (I presume because
    that’s where I lived), where a competent doctor realized I had a
    broken back and had me airlifted to Washoe Medical Center in Reno.

    Result: Two broken skis, compression fracture of my first lumbar, four
    titanium rods and bolts on my spine so L1 can float, and a wheelchair.
    Six months later I could walk w/ trekking poles and ride my bike w/
    mounting assist., another couple of years, I went to one pole w/ the
    help of AFO’s (mine has a spring loaded hinge I think one 'like
    this ' (http://www.deedoe.us/glossary.html)would be better for uni) and
    went mtb, then a couple of years ago went to no poles (except for
    hiking). My lower legs, glutes, and hips are almost completely
    paralysed.

    On April 14 of last year I started learning to uni. I ride almost
    every day, doing pretty challenging stuff the whole time, but progress
    is extremely slow. I still can’t free-mount or take my feet off
    the pedals and adjusting my foot position is very difficult. I can
    ride backwards, SIF, and SIB a little bit though.

    I hope to get a really powerfull EMS unit (similar to 'this one'
    (http://www.buyamag.com/muscle_builder.htm#1304-d), but has DC output
    and costs $1000) by September and strengthen what muscle is there, and
    be better prepared for a hopefull trip to CMW (determined by finances,
    not my legs).

    --
    skilewis74
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62218

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. About a year and a half ago while riding my bike at night, I came up to
    a bike/walking bridge over a creek. There was no streetlight and a
    curb just before it. I didn’t see the curb until just before I hit it
    while going 15 mph. Consequently I didn’t pull up the front wheel and
    went over the handlebars headfirst into the railing, hitting it w/ my
    head, then back.

    At first I couldn’t move at all and hurt everywhere. I was slowly able
    to move and the pain decreased and after a few minutes I was quite
    dazed but OK.

    I shattered my helmet and the flashing taillight that was attached to
    my backpack.

    --
    skilewis74
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62218

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. when i was about 6, i climbed trees all the time. one day i decided to
    climb the big oak tee in my back yard(it was about 60 ft high) when i
    was about halfway up my a brach my foot was on broke and i fell and hit
    the ground with a good thud. my mom ran over askin if i was okay n
    stuff...and i was fine! not even a scratch... i was shocked about that.
    i think the reason why i didn't kill myself one that was because my mom
    had just layed some fresh pinestraw on the ground that day and i only
    fell about 25-30 ft.

    --
    SAVAGE

    Quoted message said:

    <>I ride for Christ, do you?<><


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SAVAGE's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13628
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62218

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.