Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Worth buying braker boosters?

Started by JamesLondon · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,693 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 February 2005
Last activity
27 February 2005
Original author
JamesLondon
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,693
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Am trying to deal with squeeky brakes and good ol' Sheldon Brown suggests using brake boosters. I haven't come across these before but seems like a good idea. Anyone got any tips before I go and spend some cash and add some weight to my setup?!!

    So far I've seen the following:

    Magura Brake Booster 2004 wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk
    Salsa Arc de Tri-oomph Brake Booster wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk
    Roox Brake Booster wiggle.co.ukwiggle.co.uk

  2. A couple things:

    - If Sheldon's been flat-out wrong before, I haven't seen it.

    - Though you didn't provide any details about your setup, I'm going out on a limb and presuming you're using cantilevers (are you?). Since those are most often seen on touring, cyclocross, and mountain bikes (as opposed to road bikes), you may find some opinion info here.

    - Have you definitively ruled out the brake pads being the problem? I swear by (and so does Sheldon) the Kool-stop pads. Have you tried new pads?

    - Have you thoroughly cleaned your rims' braking surfaces (isopropyl alcohol and a scrubbie sponge will do)?

    - Have you lightly sanded the now-clean braking surfaces?

    Good luck!

  3. Thanks neil!

    I'm using V-brakes on a hybrid with Alex DA-16 rims (intrigued why http://alexrims.com put DA-16s in their MTB section rather than their Road section?!)

    I've just checked out Kool-stop blocks online. Is it worth getting a cartridge block (if so any recommended manufacturer?) with Kool-stop cartridge pads?

    Many thanks.

  4. JamesLondon said:

    Thanks neil!

    I'm using V-brakes on a hybrid with Alex DA-16 rims (intrigued why http://alexrims.com put DA-16s in their MTB section rather than their Road section?!)

    I've just checked out Kool-stop blocks online. Is it worth getting a cartridge block (if so any recommended manufacturer?) with Kool-stop cartridge pads?

    Many thanks.

    Which V-brakes do you have, exactly?

    There is likely to be a replacement that fits your V-brakes without modification. You probably don't need a new cartridge; only new pads.

    If your existing pads come as part of a cartridge, you should still be able to use the Koolstop pad meant for that cartridge. Here's an example.

    If, on the other hand, your v-brakes do not use a cartridge, then you're best off using something like this.

    The key will be to replace your pads with a better version of the same style that you already have. The website that the above links take you to is that of Sheldon Brown and Harris Cyclery. Sheldon's sort of a deity among bicycle experts. Harris is a very fine company to do business with, in my experience. You could easily give them a call to ensure you're buying the right part for your particular needs.

    Best,
    Neil

  5. neil0502 said:

    Which V-brakes do you have, exactly?

    Currently just got the cheap standard ones that came with the bike - not branded as far as I can see - but they seem OK so far. Will upgrade to Shimano Deore's if I get any problems (unless anyone would recommend anything else above Deore's, but at a similar price?)

    Guess I'll need something like the Supra 2 KoolStops (most ppl seem to recommend the Salmon ones?)

    Do put me straight if I'm a million miles out - still fairly new to all this! Many thanks

  6. step it up and get Avid SD 7s. You won't be sorry. I think performance or nashbar has deals on em, where you can get the brakes and lower end avid handles for $50 or so. I run em, and have converted my friends. No flex, no real fade, pure stopping power.

    Cheap brakes suck.

    JamesLondon said:

    Currently just got the cheap standard ones that came with the bike - not branded as far as I can see - but they seem OK so far. Will upgrade to Shimano Deore's if I get any problems (unless anyone would recommend anything else above Deore's, but at a similar price?)

    Guess I'll need something like the Supra 2 KoolStops (most ppl seem to recommend the Salmon ones?)

    Do put me straight if I'm a million miles out - still fairly new to all this! Many thanks

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.