Wow, I was almost mown down 1 hr ago

bikeguy

May 31, 2004
Waiting at light, pedestrian light turns green (I was on the bike) I can hear a car approaching, I start up and then turn rapidly right to avoid the car that blows the red. I was on the street parallel to the curb after. Car was doing 60 in a 40 zone. Clearly marked intersection. This week also had two morons on bikes run a red. I don't particularly care, but I wish they would look for traffic coming on the green. I swerved to the center line to avoid one, I almost nailed him. STUPID MOTHE *****!!! I notice that I've had about 10 times more incidents during this week (Christmas). STUPID DRUNK MOTHER****!

Rant over.

-bikeguy

You should watch for cars running red lights irrespective whether you are cycling or driving. It's one of those defensive driving/riding technique you ingrain into a reflex if you want to survive on the road.

Well, if they run a red and almost kill you then remember their license plates and report then to the police! I definitely would do this to idiot drivers. I almost got run over during a workout too.

JTE83 said:
Well, if they run a red and almost kill you then remember their license plates and report then to the police! I definitely would do this to idiot drivers. I almost got run over during a workout too.
What has reporting of red light runners done? I doubt there's even a procedure to handle that.

A few years ago, a motorcycle hit the back of my car and took off. I chased him a bit and got his rego. Went to the police station to report, the guy took a look at the rear of my car and the black tyre rubbing mark on the bumper bar and said that there's nothing he can do. And this is a hit and run situation.

It seems that if there's no injury or significant material damage, they just don't have the resources to verify and handle these cases.

Just proves that there are smacktard drivers the world over. Good thing that you were watching out for yourself. Many times that is all that you can do.

Glad you lived to tell about it. ;)

I was in a great position to see the license after ending up stopped against the curb, but I don't recall a single character. Yesterday, another turnip head cyclist blew a red but he was far away from me. Down a hill, no light, wearing dark clothing and at dusk.

-bikeguy

Clearly, there are some dangerous people out there. I'm not saying I would never make a driving error, but I try to be careful. I think if we had to report all instances of dangerous driving we witness, we'd be spending half our time at the police station in the process :eek: