Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

WTB: cheap standard mountainbike wheel

Started by Dmitri Colebatch · · Last activity · 6 posts · 744 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
16 June 2005
Last activity
16 June 2005
Original author
Dmitri Colebatch
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
744
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I had the pleasure of having a car back into me as I was riding passed
    not too long ago and I am now down one wheel (at the time I didn't
    realise how bad the buckle was and didn't bother getting details - my
    bad). Anyway, my wife wants the wheel I pinched from her mountain bike
    back so I need to source one for myself but don't really want to spent
    $100 on a newie.

    Anyone got any tips?

    cheers
    dim

  2. Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

  3. Jay Woo said:

    Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

    yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
    won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

  4. Dmitri Colebatch said:
    Jay Woo said:

    Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

    yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
    won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

    assuming you can respoke a wheel, you probably could take the rim from
    the rear and relace all your front spokes to your hub...

    start reading here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

    more info here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html

    cheers,
    Kim

  5. Kim said:
    Dmitri Colebatch said:
    Jay Woo said:

    Sounds like your after a front wheel? I've got an old 7speed rear if
    you want it? I'm in Melb. The front has already gone to a good cause
    (see DIY Pushie Workstand thread) : )

    yeah I'm after a front. pardon my ignorance but I'm assuming that I
    won't be able to make that fit (different axel widths)?

    assuming you can respoke a wheel, you probably could take the rim from
    the rear and relace all your front spokes to your hub...

    start reading here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

    more info here; http://sheldonbrown.com/wheels/index.html

    cheers,
    Kim

    That would work. Hell I will even loan you a spoke key.

  6. Dmitri Colebatch said:

    I had the pleasure of having a car back into me as I was riding passed
    not too long ago and I am now down one wheel (at the time I didn't
    realise how bad the buckle was and didn't bother getting details - my
    bad). Anyway, my wife wants the wheel I pinched from her mountain bike
    back so I need to source one for myself but don't really want to spent
    $100 on a newie.

    Anyone got any tips?

    cheers
    dim

    I went through this myself last year when I taco-ed my front in a race. If you're looking to spend less than $100 then you're probably going to be confined to second-hand - which isn't a bad thing necessarily.

    Check ebay - there's occasionally reasonable things going through there. Or if you've got a second-hand bike place around anywhere...If you're Melbourne based, try Bicycle Recycle. If you're willing to give wheel building a go then a decent rim can be had for about $70 or so, but then there's spokes, etc...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.