Kalico said:On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 09:38:47 -0400, Badger_South <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Kalico said:WTB: Mountain bike reccommendations please
I have about £300 to spend.
Any advice about what to look for in a first mountain bike?
I've been looking at Giant and Trek though not sure which is the
better brand. I've also been told just to get front suspension and
not rear, since it will be [censored] at this price point. True?
Thanks for any help.
Rob
Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
What kind of terrain and location, generally do you plan to ride it?
-B
I am planning to ride mainly trails I think. I'm really not sure of
the terminology since I am new to this, having hired a mountain bike
only a few times in the Derbyshire and Scotland.
For trails and paths, you don't really need the rear suspension. All
it would do is absorb some of the energy you might prefer to go into
propulsion.
Quoted message said:
I do have experience road riding for many years although I'm now a bit
rusty.
One thing that does concern me is size. I am 6'2" so what frame size
would you recommend?
I am about the same height and 21inches (~ 53 cm) is just right for
me. But do test ride the next smaller and larger ones for feel as
Badger suggests.
The one caution I would have or add is based on your size. If you
ride much, the weight which can go along with our height can be hell
on some of the parts namely the chain, cassette and hub. The chain
and cassette can be upgraded after you wear them out after 1000 miles.
The hub is a bigger issue. I had a Trek 3700 which after as little as
120 miles (basically weekly) the internal rear hub parts would come
loose and the wheel would wobble. It was within the first 12 months
and Trek was willing to replace the wheel, but I opted to trade it in
for a 2005 4500).
I was told (and it seems to make sense) that based on my size and
frequency of use, a double wall wheel/rim would help because it helps
distribute torque better thereby reducing it on the hub.
Even if your size/frequency of use dont present the same problem, a
better wheel woulnt hurt as to reduced maintenance, resale value,
durability etc.
YMMV
Quoted message said:
TIA
Rob
Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply