rec.bicycles.marketplace archive · Public discussion

WTB:ttaniumi frameset, 59~61CM

Started by Dave Thompson · · Last activity · 21 posts · 2,090 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.marketplace archive
Published
19 December 2003
Last activity
29 January 2004
Original author
Dave Thompson
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,090
Views / 30 days
12

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–21 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey Mark,

    I have verified from both Airborne and Changda, that Changda is, in fact, the sole OEM supplier of
    frames to Airborne.

    Jim

    Mark Hickey <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    (Jim A) said:

    You're right. It would be wrong to assume that Changda would sell to the general public the exact
    same product they are supplying to Airborne. For example, Airborne owns the design patent for
    their headtubes. So Changda would not be permitted to sell one of those. And I imagine if someone
    asked Changda to make a custom frameset using the exact same specs as, say, a Valkyrie, they
    would have to decline. But design and aesthetic differences certainly don't mean that there is
    also a disparity in craftsmanship. Anyone who would assume so is an ignorant provincialist who
    doesn't know the first thing about the Chinese work ethic, especially in their emerging open
    market sectors. Freedom and self respect are essences of the human spirit, and the Chinese will
    split a dime along its edge just to earn just a fraction of what we take for granted. So I'd be
    very confident that the frames Changda sells directly have the same spec tolerances as the ones
    they sell to Airborne. Believe me, if I had enough venture capital (and a vocation I didn't
    already love), I'd be hanging out a shingle. But don't take my word for it. Ask Mark Hickey,
    someone who's had his hanging out it for 8 years now. (That's not to imply that Changda supplies
    Habanero, because they don't).

    I don't usually jump in on these threads, but will mention that as far as I know, Changda does NOT
    supply Airborne (or Habanero for that matter) unless they've had a fairly recent fabricator
    change. Maybe they have, or maybe they just supply some models (or maybe something other than
    frames).

    Anything I'd say beyond that would have to be taken with such a large grain of salt (or sand, your
    pick) that you'd have to ignore it anyway. I don't really go out of my way to keep up with what
    the competition is doing (unless it's something I like, of course). ;-)

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles habcycles.comhabcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.