rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

WTB Weirwolf 29x2.55 XC tyre.

Started by andytait · · Last activity · 10 posts · 406 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
27 February 2007
Last activity
14 April 2008
Original author
andytait
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
406
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I got my WTB Weirwolf 29x2.55 LT fitted at the weekend at long last.

    These are my initial observations, I have only ridden it for about a
    mile on road and played around on it in the street.

    The tyre is big, definitely the biggest 29er you can get at the moment.
    It fits easily into the Nimbus II 29er frame. It doesn't have an
    aggressive tread, the LT means "low tread". It is bigger than the
    Bontrager Jones XC 29 (middle in pic) that it replaced, bigger than my
    Maxxis Holy Roller 24x2.4 (left in pic), and bigger than the Big Apple
    by a few millimeters all round.

    On the road it is very easy and predictable when cornering and gives a
    very smooth ride. I tried low pressure and medium pressure but I didn't
    pump it up hard. With it being such a big tyre even at high pressure
    you can get a cushioned ride. You can also get some bounce if you like
    hopping around but I didn't notice it bouncing along during normal
    riding. It it did suffer from curb crawl and tried to ride down the
    crown of the road, but not as bad as knobbly tyres I have tried. It
    didn't noticably improve at higher pressure. It may be possible to
    eliminate kerb crawl by having the tyre really hard but you'd need a
    lot of pressure in a tyre this big.

    This tyre replaced my Bontrager Jones 29x2.25 tyre. Which for some
    reason tracks straight and true whatever the camber, however it is bad
    at cornering. Whereas the Weiwolf is the opposite and turns beautifully
    but doesn't handle a camber. It probably makes sense that there is a
    pay-off, and you can't seem to get a tyre that is good at both, but
    comparing the two tyres which have very similar tread pattern and
    profile I can't think of any reason for this.

    If you want a really impressive-looking, large volume, 29" xc tyre
    that's nimble on the road the Weirwolf is a great tyre. If you have a
    problem with severely cambered roads where you live the Bonty is
    better.

    Andy

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: DSC01831.JPG |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/18125 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    andytait
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andytait's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11766
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  2. Mmmm...beefy.

    I do like my ExiWolf 2.3, the Weirwolf's smaller brother. The SB guys
    have reported that for aggressive muni, they don't like the WeirWolf.
    To bouncy at high pressure and too prone to pinch flats at lower
    pressure.

    Why do you want the knobs on the road? I like the BA tires for road
    29ering.

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

    Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
    (http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  3. What made you change from the Bontranger?

    --
    cathwood

    Cathy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cathwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9425
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  4. Steveyo's got it. I don't like the Weir for all the reasons stated,
    plus its overpriced and paper thin. Still waiting on a true hardcore
    29er tire.

    --
    entropy

    Shut up and ride.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  5. entropy said:

    Steveyo's got it. I don't like the Weir for all the reasons stated,
    plus its overpriced and paper thin. Still waiting on a true hardcore
    29er tire.

    I think the problem with a true hardcore 29er tire would be weight.

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

    Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
    (http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  6. steveyo said:

    I think the problem with a true hardcore 29er tire would be weight.

    More weight, more momentum, more rolling power, more speed, bigger
    crashes, all which would make a very entertaining video.

    I see now downside to extra weight.

    :p

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
    more!~*~
    '!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
    '!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
    My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  7. Jerrick said:

    More weight, more momentum, more rolling power, more speed, bigger
    crashes, all which would make a very entertaining video.

    True dat.

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

    Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
    (http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  8. A problem with all 29er tires for tech riding is the single ply
    construction. Whereas I have to use various levers and so forth to get
    a Duro on a 24" rim, I can pull a Weirwolfe on (a KH 29 rim) with two
    fingers. And you need 35 PSI at least to keep it on the rim. As Josh
    said, still waiting on the DH 29er tire, then we'll see . . .

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  9. cathwood said:

    What made you change from the Bontranger?

    Just trying out different tyres. I wanted to see if a large volume tyre
    made much difference. It doesn't. Looks cool though.

    steveyo said:

    Mmmm...beefy.

    Steady now!

    steveyo said:

    Why do you want the knobs on the road? I like the BA tires for road
    29ering.

    I mainly go along tow paths and forest trails, I just need a bit of
    road to get there.

    I agree it probably isn't what you want if you are doing hard muni,
    there will be a few proper DH tyres coming out in 29" this summer I
    reckon though.

    --
    andytait
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andytait's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11766
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

  10. I'm very appreciative of the info on this thread. I was thinking about
    going with the Weirwolf to replace a worn Exiwolf. I think I will
    stick with the trusty Exiwolf.

    --
    Unibugg

    forrestunifreak said:

    Real men unicycle with slightly crooked seats.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unibugg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14480
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58425

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.