General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

WWT Fair Food

Started by Koko · · Last activity · 27 posts · 259 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 June 2007
Last activity
27 June 2007
Original author
Koko
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
259
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yesterday was the first time I've been to the San Diego county fair in
    over 20 years, sad, I know.
    A few weeks ago my stepdaughter asked me if I wanted to go to the fair
    with her. It has been more than 20 years for her also, what a shame we
    haven't taken the time to participate in one of life's little
    pleasures, the county fair. So we ditched work on Friday and went.
    My main goal was to eat my way from one end of the fair to the other.
    I had grandiose ideas as to what I would eat and after all, I needed
    something to report to the newsgroup.

    I didn't have breakfast in order to have room for fair food. When we
    first arrived we walked right past the turkey leg stand, there he was,
    enticing me with his legs.
    http://i13.tinypic.com/6ge9veu.jpg

    How could I pass this up?
    http://i14.tinypic.com/4vmzn8j.jpg

    It was very tasty, I passed on the BBQ sauce he offered. Parts of one
    side of the leg were a little dry but the majority of the leg was
    tender and juicy.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/6ew58c8.jpg

    They also offered grilled corn. I usually grill corn myself so I
    passed, but it sure looked good.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/6b1db2q.jpg

    Now this is how I like it. I slather it with mayonnaise and sprinkle
    with Parmesan cheese or rub with a lime and sprinkle with Tapatio hot
    sauce.
    http://i8.tinypic.com/6aqae5c.jpg

    We walked around for a while and talked with the animals.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/524pcvk.jpg

    It was about time to sit down and have a cool one. We found a nice
    little beer garden and had a couple of beers. We struck up a
    conversation with two nice ladies at the table next to us; they were
    eating the best looking artichoke sandwiches.
    Come to find out one of the ladies makes mole from scratch also, she
    uses Diana Kennedy's recipe, so needless to say our conversation
    centered on food, restaurants and recipes.
    One of the ladies has a friend that owns the restaurant Bambu Bistro
    in Hillcrest so we have to try it out.
    http://i14.tinypic.com/53j5eac.jpg

    We walked around and looked at the exhibits but spent most of our time
    in the commercial buildings.
    Well, walking around made us hungry again so we found another beer
    garden and snacked on some fried chicken. It was really good and not
    greasy, nice crunchy fried skin. I don't usually eat the skin but
    heck, it's the fair.
    http://i11.tinypic.com/6agug4w.jpg

    After some more walking around it was time for a snack. One thing I
    wanted to be sure and eat was a deep fried snickers bar.
    http://i15.tinypic.com/62fa6na.jpg

    Now, the inside is disgusting looking but the batter was great. Nice
    and fluffy not too thick.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/53zweo7.jpg

    On our way out we had to have just a little more fried food.;-) This
    guy is like the local dealer, fried everything.
    http://i9.tinypic.com/5x7bqfb.jpg

    My parting shot was deep fried coca-cola and deep fried asparagus.
    http://i15.tinypic.com/6augefa.jpg

    It's batter made with coca-cola or maybe the cola syrup is used
    because it sure is coca-cola tasting and very crunchy
    http://i9.tinypic.com/4ukbchy.jpg

    The asparagus was really good if you started from the smaller end as
    it got tougher and stringy toward the end.
    http://i11.tinypic.com/4xz5kxi.jpg

    I still hadn't eaten rattlesnake bites, deep fried twinkies, or the
    chicken sandwich on a Krispy Kreme jelly doughnut. Looks like we have
    to go again next year, because this is how I felt as we left the fair
    grounds, I couldn't have eaten another bite. See ya at the fair next
    year.
    http://i12.tinypic.com/5zbzz3d.jpg

    If you are interested in a review of the Krispy Kreme and rattlesnake
    and other fair food I didn't eat go to fellow food blogger
    http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2007/06/the_san_diego_c.html

    It's in three parts so be sure and read them all.
    They have pictures of a lot of the food entries, jams jellies etc...

    Koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 6/17

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  2. Koko said:

    Yesterday was the first time I've been to the San Diego county fair in
    over 20 years, sad, I know.
    A few weeks ago my stepdaughter asked me if I wanted to go to the fair
    with her. It has been more than 20 years for her also, what a shame we
    haven't taken the time to participate in one of life's little
    pleasures, the county fair. So we ditched work on Friday and went.
    My main goal was to eat my way from one end of the fair to the other.
    I had grandiose ideas as to what I would eat and after all, I needed
    something to report to the newsgroup.

    I didn't have breakfast in order to have room for fair food. When we
    first arrived we walked right past the turkey leg stand, there he was,
    enticing me with his legs.
    http://i13.tinypic.com/6ge9veu.jpg

    How could I pass this up?
    http://i14.tinypic.com/4vmzn8j.jpg

    Burnt.

    Quoted message said:


    It was very tasty, I passed on the BBQ sauce he offered. Parts of one
    side of the leg were a little dry but the majority of the leg was
    tender and juicy.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/6ew58c8.jpg

    You mean one side was burnt.

    Quoted message said:


    They also offered grilled corn. I usually grill corn myself so I
    passed, but it sure looked good.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/6b1db2q.jpg

    Burnt.

    Quoted message said:


    Now this is how I like it. I slather it with mayonnaise and sprinkle
    with Parmesan cheese or rub with a lime and sprinkle with Tapatio hot
    sauce.
    http://i8.tinypic.com/6aqae5c.jpg

    Burnt with disgusting toppings.

    Quoted message said:


    We walked around for a while and talked with the animals.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/524pcvk.jpg

    Cute alpaca.

    Quoted message said:


    It was about time to sit down and have a cool one. We found a nice
    little beer garden and had a couple of beers. We struck up a
    conversation with two nice ladies at the table next to us; they were
    eating the best looking artichoke sandwiches.
    Come to find out one of the ladies makes mole from scratch also, she
    uses Diana Kennedy's recipe, so needless to say our conversation
    centered on food, restaurants and recipes.
    One of the ladies has a friend that owns the restaurant Bambu Bistro
    in Hillcrest so we have to try it out.
    http://i14.tinypic.com/53j5eac.jpg

    We walked around and looked at the exhibits but spent most of our time
    in the commercial buildings.
    Well, walking around made us hungry again so we found another beer
    garden and snacked on some fried chicken. It was really good and not
    greasy, nice crunchy fried skin. I don't usually eat the skin but
    heck, it's the fair.
    http://i11.tinypic.com/6agug4w.jpg

    After some more walking around it was time for a snack. One thing I
    wanted to be sure and eat was a deep fried snickers bar.
    http://i15.tinypic.com/62fa6na.jpg

    Now, the inside is disgusting looking but the batter was great. Nice
    and fluffy not too thick.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/53zweo7.jpg

    Disgusting looking, yes.

    Quoted message said:


    On our way out we had to have just a little more fried food.;-) This
    guy is like the local dealer, fried everything.
    http://i9.tinypic.com/5x7bqfb.jpg

    My parting shot was deep fried coca-cola and deep fried asparagus.
    http://i15.tinypic.com/6augefa.jpg

    It's batter made with coca-cola or maybe the cola syrup is used
    because it sure is coca-cola tasting and very crunchy
    http://i9.tinypic.com/4ukbchy.jpg

    The asparagus was really good if you started from the smaller end as
    it got tougher and stringy toward the end.
    http://i11.tinypic.com/4xz5kxi.jpg

    I still hadn't eaten rattlesnake bites, deep fried twinkies, or the
    chicken sandwich on a Krispy Kreme jelly doughnut. Looks like we have
    to go again next year, because this is how I felt as we left the fair
    grounds, I couldn't have eaten another bite. See ya at the fair next
    year.
    http://i12.tinypic.com/5zbzz3d.jpg

    Was this pic included because most of the stuff in the paragraph above
    it is suitable for pigs slop?

    Quoted message said:


    If you are interested in a review of the Krispy Kreme and rattlesnake
    and other fair food I didn't eat go to fellow food blogger
    http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2007/06/the_san_diego_c.html

    With all the food there, you went for the burned stuff and the White
    Trash treats (deep fried coca-cola and deep fried snickers bar).
    How tragic that you had to forgo the "deep fried twinkies" and the
    "chicken sandwich on a Krispy Kreme jelly doughnut."

    Quoted message said:


    It's in three parts so be sure and read them all.
    They have pictures of a lot of the food entries, jams jellies etc...

    Koko


    --Food Snob

  3. BOBOBOnoBO® said...

    Excellent report!!! Sounds almost like too much fun!

    Quoted message said:

    http://i12.tinypic.com/5zbzz3d.jpg

    Deep fried avocados?!?!? Why didn't I think of that?!!!

    Thanks,

    Andy

  4. Andy said:


    Deep fried avocados?!?!? Why didn't I think of that?!!!


    I noticed that avocado sign too :-\

    pat

  5. Koko said:

    Yesterday was the first time I've been to the San Diego county fair in
    over 20 years, sad, I know.
    A few weeks ago my stepdaughter asked me if I wanted to go to the fair
    with her. It has been more than 20 years for her also, what a shame we
    haven't taken the time to participate in one of life's little
    pleasures, the county fair. So we ditched work on Friday and went.
    My main goal was to eat my way from one end of the fair to the other.
    I had grandiose ideas as to what I would eat and after all, I needed
    something to report to the newsgroup.

    And a great report it is. I could almost taste all the goodies you
    consumed and I was full and my feet were tired by the time I finished
    reading.

    While I would not have eaten some of the items you tried (and praised),
    I had a wonderful time attending the WWT Fair with you and your
    stepdaughter.

    Thank you for letting me tag along.

  6. Cryambers said...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy said:


    Deep fried avocados?!?!? Why didn't I think of that?!!!


    I noticed that avocado sign too :-\

    pat

    pat,

    First I've heard of such a thing!

    Ever had one?

    Andy

  7. Andy said:


    First I've heard of such a thing!

    Ever had one?

    Nope. I'm not a huge fan of deep fried foods, though I'm not averse
    to potatoes, onions, or seafood that's deep-fried.

    I love avocado, but the thought of it deep fried makes me feel a
    little queasy. I think maybe it's the idea of soft, melty things
    being battered and fried that gets to me.

    pat

  8. Cryambers said...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy said:


    First I've heard of such a thing!

    Ever had one?

    Nope. I'm not a huge fan of deep fried foods, though I'm not averse
    to potatoes, onions, or seafood that's deep-fried.

    I love avocado, but the thought of it deep fried makes me feel a
    little queasy. I think maybe it's the idea of soft, melty things
    being battered and fried that gets to me.

    pat

    I'm with you!!!

    Andy

  9. In article said:

    I didn't have breakfast in order to have room for fair food. When we
    first arrived we walked right past the turkey leg stand, there he was,
    enticing me with his legs.
    http://i13.tinypic.com/6ge9veu.jpg

    How could I pass this up?
    http://i14.tinypic.com/4vmzn8j.jpg

    It was very tasty, I passed on the BBQ sauce he offered. Parts of one
    side of the leg were a little dry but the majority of the leg was
    tender and juicy.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/6ew58c8.jpg

    I get full too easily. :-)
    That looks wonderful and I'd probably have asked for a bag to wrap up a
    couple to take home for later.

    Quoted message said:


    They also offered grilled corn. I usually grill corn myself so I
    passed, but it sure looked good.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/6b1db2q.jpg

    Now this is how I like it. I slather it with mayonnaise and sprinkle
    with Parmesan cheese or rub with a lime and sprinkle with Tapatio hot
    sauce.
    http://i8.tinypic.com/6aqae5c.jpg

    Ooh, I prefer it with no black kernels and generally just eat it "as is".
    Maybe some butter depending on my mood.

    Great pics so far by the way! :-)

    Quoted message said:


    We walked around for a while and talked with the animals.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/524pcvk.jpg

    Llamas are so damned cute. :-)

    Quoted message said:


    It was about time to sit down and have a cool one. We found a nice
    little beer garden and had a couple of beers. We struck up a
    conversation with two nice ladies at the table next to us; they were
    eating the best looking artichoke sandwiches.
    Come to find out one of the ladies makes mole from scratch also, she
    uses Diana Kennedy's recipe, so needless to say our conversation
    centered on food, restaurants and recipes.
    One of the ladies has a friend that owns the restaurant Bambu Bistro
    in Hillcrest so we have to try it out.
    http://i14.tinypic.com/53j5eac.jpg

    That looks good!

    Quoted message said:


    We walked around and looked at the exhibits but spent most of our time
    in the commercial buildings.
    Well, walking around made us hungry again so we found another beer
    garden and snacked on some fried chicken. It was really good and not
    greasy, nice crunchy fried skin. I don't usually eat the skin but
    heck, it's the fair.
    http://i11.tinypic.com/6agug4w.jpg

    Best part of the chicken IS the skin imho! <G>

    Quoted message said:


    After some more walking around it was time for a snack. One thing I
    wanted to be sure and eat was a deep fried snickers bar.
    http://i15.tinypic.com/62fa6na.jpg

    Now, the inside is disgusting looking but the batter was great. Nice
    and fluffy not too thick.
    http://i7.tinypic.com/53zweo7.jpg

    What? No deep fried Twinkies? :-)

    Quoted message said:


    On our way out we had to have just a little more fried food.;-) This
    guy is like the local dealer, fried everything.
    http://i9.tinypic.com/5x7bqfb.jpg

    Damn. And I thought _I_ was bad deep frying Salmon!

    Quoted message said:


    My parting shot was deep fried coca-cola and deep fried asparagus.
    http://i15.tinypic.com/6augefa.jpg

    It's batter made with coca-cola or maybe the cola syrup is used
    because it sure is coca-cola tasting and very crunchy
    http://i9.tinypic.com/4ukbchy.jpg

    The asparagus was really good if you started from the smaller end as
    it got tougher and stringy toward the end.
    http://i11.tinypic.com/4xz5kxi.jpg

    He probably did not snap them.

    Quoted message said:


    I still hadn't eaten rattlesnake bites, deep fried twinkies, or the
    chicken sandwich on a Krispy Kreme jelly doughnut. Looks like we have
    to go again next year, because this is how I felt as we left the fair
    grounds, I couldn't have eaten another bite. See ya at the fair next
    year.

    <grins> Cute!
    I've had deep fried rattlesnake at a rattlesnake roundup.
    It's ok, but a bit fishy tasting.

    Quoted message said:


    If you are interested in a review of the Krispy Kreme and rattlesnake
    and other fair food I didn't eat go to fellow food blogger
    http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2007/06/the_san_diego_c.html

    It's in three parts so be sure and read them all.
    They have pictures of a lot of the food entries, jams jellies etc...

    Koko

    Fun post, thanks!!!
    I know how much work these kinds of posts can be.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  10. Andy said:

    Cryambers said...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy said:


    First I've heard of such a thing!

    Ever had one?

    Nope. I'm not a huge fan of deep fried foods, though I'm not averse
    to potatoes, onions, or seafood that's deep-fried.

    I love avocado, but the thought of it deep fried makes me feel a
    little queasy. I think maybe it's the idea of soft, melty things
    being battered and fried that gets to me.

    pat

    I'm with you!!!

    Andy

    I'm with the both of you.

    kili

  11. "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    We walked around for a while and talked with the animals.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/524pcvk.jpg

    Llamas are so damned cute. :-)

    This one looks a little like David Bowie during his Glam
    period.

  12. cybercat said:

    "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We walked around for a while and talked with the animals.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/524pcvk.jpg

    Quoted message said:

    Llamas are so damned cute. :-)

    I thought it was an alpaca.

    Quoted message said:


    This one looks a little like David Bowie during his Glam
    period.

    Ziggy the Alpaca (or llama, as the case may be). Isn't Diamond Dogs
    one of the best records ever?

    --Bryan

  13. Koko said:

    Yesterday was the first time I've been to the San Diego county fair in
    over 20 years, sad, I know.
    A few weeks ago my stepdaughter asked me if I wanted to go to the fair
    with her. It has been more than 20 years for her also, what a shame we
    haven't taken the time to participate in one of life's little
    pleasures, the county fair. So we ditched work on Friday and went.
    My main goal was to eat my way from one end of the fair to the other.
    I had grandiose ideas as to what I would eat and after all, I needed
    something to report to the newsgroup.


    Fair food is always fun. Sometimes we make some good choices, other
    years not so much. Sounds like your fair had some interesting food.

    We did have some deep fried artichokes today though that were very good!
    Best we've had of our few trials. They told us they were freshly made
    each day, not like the restaurants nearby that serve frozen ones.

    --
    Queenie

    *** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

  14. Cryambers said:
    Andy said:

    First I've heard of such a thing!

    Ever had one?

    Nope. I'm not a huge fan of deep fried foods, though I'm not averse
    to potatoes, onions, or seafood that's deep-fried.

    I love avocado, but the thought of it deep fried makes me feel a
    little queasy. I think maybe it's the idea of soft, melty things
    being battered and fried that gets to me.

    Avocado all by itself gets to me.

    I mean, yes, it's green, but it's loaded with fat.

    Ounce for ounce, twice the fat of T-bone steak.

    --Blair

  15. margaret suran said:
    Koko said:

    Yesterday was the first time I've been to the San Diego county fair in
    over 20 years, sad, I know.
    A few weeks ago my stepdaughter asked me if I wanted to go to the fair
    with her. It has been more than 20 years for her also, what a shame we
    haven't taken the time to participate in one of life's little
    pleasures, the county fair. So we ditched work on Friday and went.
    My main goal was to eat my way from one end of the fair to the other.
    I had grandiose ideas as to what I would eat and after all, I needed
    something to report to the newsgroup.

    And a great report it is. I could almost taste all the goodies you
    consumed and I was full and my feet were tired by the time I finished
    reading.

    While I would not have eaten some of the items you tried (and praised),
    I had a wonderful time attending the WWT Fair with you and your
    stepdaughter.

    Thank you for letting me tag along.

    My pleasure margaret, you are welcome anytime.

    Koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 6/24

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  16. On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:27:52 -0500, Omelet <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    one snippy, snippy

    Quoted message said:

    Fun post, thanks!!!
    I know how much work these kinds of posts can be.

    Thanks Om, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 6/24

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  17. On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:06:24 -0400, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    We walked around for a while and talked with the animals.
    http://i16.tinypic.com/524pcvk.jpg

    Llamas are so damned cute. :-)

    This one looks a little like David Bowie during his Glam
    period.


    Too funny, ;-) I'll never look at alpacas the same way again.

    Koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 6/24

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  18. MayQueen said:
    Koko said:

    Yesterday was the first time I've been to the San Diego county fair in
    over 20 years, sad, I know.
    A few weeks ago my stepdaughter asked me if I wanted to go to the fair
    with her. It has been more than 20 years for her also, what a shame we
    haven't taken the time to participate in one of life's little
    pleasures, the county fair. So we ditched work on Friday and went.
    My main goal was to eat my way from one end of the fair to the other.
    I had grandiose ideas as to what I would eat and after all, I needed
    something to report to the newsgroup.


    Fair food is always fun. Sometimes we make some good choices, other
    years not so much. Sounds like your fair had some interesting food.

    We did have some deep fried artichokes today though that were very good!
    Best we've had of our few trials. They told us they were freshly made
    each day, not like the restaurants nearby that serve frozen ones.

    Fair food is fun. Good thing it only comes around once a year.

    Love your sig line.

    Koko
    ---
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
    updated 6/24

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blair P. Houghton said:
    Cryambers said:
    Andy said:

    First I've heard of such a thing!

    Ever had one?

    Nope. I'm not a huge fan of deep fried foods, though I'm not averse
    to potatoes, onions, or seafood that's deep-fried.

    I love avocado, but the thought of it deep fried makes me feel a
    little queasy. I think maybe it's the idea of soft, melty things
    being battered and fried that gets to me.

    Avocado all by itself gets to me.

    I mean, yes, it's green, but it's loaded with fat.

    Ounce for ounce, twice the fat of T-bone steak.

    --Blair

    But it's HEALTHY fat! :-)
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  20. "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    But it's HEALTHY fat! :-)
    --


    It all looks the same on the ass. 🙂

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.