Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

XTR GS rear derailer with triple?

Started by B · · Last activity · 10 posts · 979 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 June 2004
Last activity
6 June 2004
Original author
B
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
979
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have an XTR mid range rear derailer on my bike with a double crank.
    Can I change cranks to a 48/36/24, with a 12-25 rear cassette?
    Do I need a XTR long cage, or will my mid cage work?
    B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  2. B said:

    I have an XTR mid range rear derailer on my bike with a double crank.
    Can I change cranks to a 48/36/24, with a 12-25 rear cassette?
    Do I need a XTR long cage, or will my mid cage work?

    Yes, it will work just fine.

    Sheldon "Couldn't Be Better" Brown
    +------------------------------------------+
    | To do nothing is also a good remedy. |
    | --Hippocrates |
    +------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    | B wrote:
    |
    | > I have an XTR mid range rear derailer on my bike with a double crank.
    | > Can I change cranks to a 48/36/24, with a 12-25 rear cassette?
    | > Do I need a XTR long cage, or will my mid cage work?
    |
    | Yes, it will work just fine.
    |
    | Sheldon "Couldn't Be Better" Brown

    Teach us to fish. Can mere mortals figure out this sort of thing? Or are
    the necessary mathematical calculations only understandable to those who
    design wheels that are lighter than air, or real man saddles ;-)

  4. John Rees said:


    "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    | B wrote:
    |
    | > I have an XTR mid range rear derailer on my bike with a double crank.
    | > Can I change cranks to a 48/36/24, with a 12-25 rear cassette?
    | > Do I need a XTR long cage, or will my mid cage work?
    |
    | Yes, it will work just fine.
    |
    | Sheldon "Couldn't Be Better" Brown

    Teach us to fish. Can mere mortals figure out this sort of thing? Or are
    the necessary mathematical calculations only understandable to those who
    design wheels that are lighter than air, or real man saddles ;-)

    Technically this setup exceeds Shimano's specs for the XTR GS
    derailleur-

    http://bike.shimano.com/mtb/XTR/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=RD-M952-GS

    33 teeth capacity.

    48-24 = 24
    25-12 + 13

    Added, that makes 37 teeth total.

    BUT Shimano is assuming that you will want to wrap a 48/25 combo as
    well as a 24/12 combo. Both of which are very unlikely and not good
    gearing practice.

    If you set up the chain length so you can wrap the largest combo-
    48/25- then you will not damage anything if you go to 22/12. What
    *will* happen is that the cage will not be able to wrap all of the
    extra chain without having to pivot backwards so far that on the
    bottom of the rear derailleur the chain will be riding across *both*
    pulleys, and most lilkely will be slack anyway. The noise is bad and
    the slack chain rattles and shakes, but you don't break anything, and
    if you have any sense at all you get out of that combo as quick as
    possible,

    I am more concerned by the XTR's stated maximum cog of 34 teeth. I
    wonder if you can get clean shifting across a 12-25. When I used a
    Deore SGS on a 12-25, I couldn't adjust the B-screw or whatever they
    call it to get the pulleys close enough to the rear cogs at both the
    smallest and largest cogs. I could feel some sloppiness in the
    shifting which was annoying.

    Then again, other people have done similar setups with excellent
    results.

  5. Dan Daniel said:

    I am more concerned by the XTR's stated maximum cog of
    34 teeth. I wonder if you can get clean shifting across a 12-25.

    I have a bike with an XTR GS rear derailleur. I swap cassettes between
    11-23 and 11-32 without any shifting problems. If anything, shifting is a
    little slicker over the narrower jumps of the 11-23 cassette.

    James Thomson

  6. Dan Daniel said:

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:20:27 GMT, "John Rees" <[email hidden]> wrote:


    B said:
    Quoted message said:

    |
    | > I have an XTR mid range rear derailer on my bike with a double crank.
    | > Can I change cranks to a 48/36/24, with a 12-25 rear cassette?
    | > Do I need a XTR long cage, or will my mid cage work?

    I replied:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    | Yes, it will work just fine.
    |
    | Sheldon "Couldn't Be Better" Brown


    John Rees said:
    Quoted message said:

    Teach us to fish. Can mere mortals figure out this sort of thing? Or are
    the necessary mathematical calculations only understandable to those who
    design wheels that are lighter than air, or real man saddles ;-)


    Technically this setup exceeds Shimano's specs for the XTR GS
    derailleur-

    http://bike.shimano.com/mtb/XTR/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=RD-M952-GS

    33 teeth capacity.

    48-24 = 24
    25-12 + 13

    Added, that makes 37 teeth total.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/capacity

    Sheldon "Experience Helps" Brown
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    | Always listen to the experts. |
    | They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. |
    | Then do it. --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  7. James Thomson said:
    Dan Daniel said:

    I am more concerned by the XTR's stated maximum cog of
    34 teeth. I wonder if you can get clean shifting across a 12-25.

    I have a bike with an XTR GS rear derailleur. I swap cassettes between
    11-23 and 11-32 without any shifting problems. If anything, shifting is a
    little slicker over the narrower jumps of the 11-23 cassette.

    James Thomson

    Do you make any changes in the derailleur setup when you swap
    cassettes? I'm about to try this again (with an XT SGS) and hope that
    the shifting is better than last time I did it with a Deore.

  8. Dan Daniel said:

    Do you make any changes in the derailleur setup when
    you swap cassettes?

    None at all. One cassette comes off, the other goes on.

    James Thomson

  9. I now have:
    48-34= 14 front
    34-12= 22 rear
    ___
    36 total
    It has no problem with this setup.
    B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  10. James Thomson said:
    Dan Daniel said:

    Do you make any changes in the derailleur setup when
    you swap cassettes?

    None at all. One cassette comes off, the other goes on.

    James Thomson

    Yep, did it today. From a 12-32 to 12-25. Shifted fine. On an XT SGS
    rear. Maybe the Deore derailleur was too sloppy, or maybe it was just
    me.

    Thanks.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.