Yay me!

Michael Warner

Guest
I cracked 16 minutes up Norton Summit for the first time on
Thursday evening! Ok, there was a bit of a tailwind, and some
help from a couple of B-grade stick insects, but I was carrying
my halogen lamp and battery pack, not to mention cleat covers
and a wind jacket.

If you're unfortunate enough to not live in Adelaide this might
not mean much to you, but I'm inordinately pleased with myself :)

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 00:12:38 +1030, Michael Warner <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I cracked 16 minutes up Norton Summit for the first time on
>Thursday evening! Ok, there was a bit of a tailwind, and some
>help from a couple of B-grade stick insects, but I was carrying
>my halogen lamp and battery pack, not to mention cleat covers
>and a wind jacket.
>
>If you're unfortunate enough to not live in Adelaide this might
>not mean much to you, but I'm inordinately pleased with myself :)

What do you count as the start, and east or west road?
(they have names but I can never remember which)

Yay you! :)

Andre

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 01:23:46 +1100, Aeek wrote:

> What do you count as the start, and east or west road?
> (they have names but I can never remember which)

They're called the Old and New NS roads, and the timed
route is up the New one, beginning at the point where it
branches off from Magill Road; the Old one is its continuation.
Since they meet at the summit, and Magill Road runs east,
it'd be more accurate to call the New road the northern one.

You can't do an equivalent timed climb up the Old road,
because the finish line is actually some distance before the
summit, where it more or less levels out. There are 50m
markers from 250m out to encourage you to sprint with your
last shreds of remaining energy :)

cycle2max used to have a great feature which let me post
taunting comments about the comparatively feeble or blatantly
implausible entries made by my riding buddies. Unfortunately,
it seems to be broken now.

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 4 Nov 2006 00:12:38 +1030
Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:

> I cracked 16 minutes up Norton Summit for the first time on
> Thursday evening! Ok, there was a bit of a tailwind, and some
> help from a couple of B-grade stick insects, but I was carrying
> my halogen lamp and battery pack, not to mention cleat covers
> and a wind jacket.

That's impressive!

many years ago I had to run in the new motor in my 450 Ducati. As I
lived a few minutes away it seemed the best place to get lots of
varied revs below 5k was Norton Summit.

So I spent a couple of hours going up the new road and down the old,

Where I met the AIS crew doing the same thing. Up the new road and
down the old.

"Cyclists" I thought "mad as a meataxe".

Zebee

On 3 Nov 2006 20:15:05 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Where I met the AIS crew doing the same thing. Up the new road and
> down the old.
>
> "Cyclists" I thought "mad as a meataxe".

Well, theirs are from another planet. I've heard that they repeatedly grind
up hills a couple of gears too high just for the strength workout.

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:17:56 +1030
Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006 20:15:05 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> Where I met the AIS crew doing the same thing. Up the new road and
>> down the old.
>>
>> "Cyclists" I thought "mad as a meataxe".

> Well, theirs are from another planet. I've heard that they repeatedly grind
> up hills a couple of gears too high just for the strength workout.

It was them being much faster on the descents (especially when it was
time to change direction and go up the old road and down the new for
a few laps) that worried me! Ok, they weren't running in a motor, but
being monstered and surrounded by a pack of lunatics going far faster
than I was willing to was a bit disturbing.

Zebee

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:17:56 +1030, Michael Warner <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 3 Nov 2006 20:15:05 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> Where I met the AIS crew doing the same thing. Up the new road and
>> down the old.
>>
>> "Cyclists" I thought "mad as a meataxe".

>Well, theirs are from another planet. I've heard that they repeatedly grind
>up hills a couple of gears too high just for the strength workout.

Funnily enough, this subject came up a few days ago when I was talking
to a friend (ex champion racer) about going round the Kew Blvd
(Herald-Sun time trial course a few weeks ago) in the big ring. He
reckons he used to go round the whole course in the 53-13 gear. 6
times in a row. Mad.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Richard Sherratt wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 17:17:56 +1030, Michael Warner <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 3 Nov 2006 20:15:05 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>>> Where I met the AIS crew doing the same thing. Up the new road and
>>> down the old.
>>>
>>> "Cyclists" I thought "mad as a meataxe".

>> Well, theirs are from another planet. I've heard that they repeatedly grind
>> up hills a couple of gears too high just for the strength workout.

> Funnily enough, this subject came up a few days ago when I was talking
> to a friend (ex champion racer) about going round the Kew Blvd
> (Herald-Sun time trial course a few weeks ago) in the big ring. He
> reckons he used to go round the whole course in the 53-13 gear. 6
> times in a row. Mad.

On a similar subject (RE mad cyclists doing the impossible)...
apparently someone did the full Fitz's Challenge (~200 k's through the
Brindabella's) on a FIXIE !! the other week. Some of the hills saw good
quality riders getting off and walking apparently.

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like