General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Yes, It's Another What Does This Kitchen Gadget Do ???

Started by Mark Thorson · · Last activity · 13 posts · 155 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 May 2007
Last activity
26 May 2007
Original author
Mark Thorson
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
155
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Here it is:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ110131198594

    My first thought is some sort of ricer,
    but the holes are too few and far between.

  2. Mark Thorson said:

    Here it is:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ110131198594

    My first thought is some sort of ricer,
    but the holes are too few and far between.

    Looks like some sort of a vegetable steamer designed to fit over a pot with
    handles on either side... or a strainer.

    The question is, do you actually know the answer? The person who posted it
    on eBay doesn't seem to.

    Jill

  3. "Mark Thorson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Here it is:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ110131198594

    My first thought is some sort of ricer,
    but the holes are too few and far between.

    Skimmer?

    KW

  4. jmcquown said:


    The question is, do you actually know the answer?
    The person who posted it on eBay doesn't seem to.

    No, I don't. I don't usually post links to devices
    if I know what they do. In that case, I usually
    send an e-mail to the seller telling them what
    it is.

  5. Mark Thorson said...

    Quoted message said:

    Here it is:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ110131198594

    My first thought is some sort of ricer,
    but the holes are too few and far between.

    How about to drain cans of tuna? Remove the top, press it down to press down
    the tuna to the bottom, bringing the water or oil to the surface, then flip
    to pour it off!??? For cafeteria assembly line use?? LOL!

    Or not,

    Andy

  6. Andy said:

    Mark Thorson said...

    Quoted message said:

    Here it is:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ110131198594

    My first thought is some sort of ricer,
    but the holes are too few and far between.

    How about to drain cans of tuna? Remove the top, press it down to press down
    the tuna to the bottom, bringing the water or oil to the surface, then flip
    to pour it off!??? For cafeteria assembly line use?? LOL!

    Or not,

    Andy

    Perhaps not far off? Is it a press for making crocks of sourkraut? (I
    know that is misspelled but I don't have time to check spelling!)

  7. Goomba38 said:


    Andy said:


    How about to drain cans of tuna? Remove the top, press it down to press
    down the tuna to the bottom, bringing the water or oil to the surface,
    then flip to pour it off!??? For cafeteria assembly line use?? LOL!

    Perhaps not far off? Is it a press for making crocks of sourkraut? (I
    know that is misspelled but I don't have time to check spelling!)

    When Andy posted his guess, I thought that was
    the best yet. It's consistent with the number
    of holes, curved bottom, standoff distance
    between the handle shaft and the perforated
    plate, and the configuration of the handles.

    On the other hand, I thought that's an awfully
    specialized tool. But if you were making gallons
    of tuna salad, it might be a practical tool.

    Sauerkraut or something else might
    also make sense, but this tool doesn't look
    like it can press very far into a container.
    Something like a bowl or crock would be
    deeper than a can of tuna.

  8. On Fri, 25 May 2007 14:29:34 -0700, Mark Thorson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Goomba38 said:


    Andy said:


    How about to drain cans of tuna? Remove the top, press it down to press
    down the tuna to the bottom, bringing the water or oil to the surface,
    then flip to pour it off!??? For cafeteria assembly line use?? LOL!

    Perhaps not far off? Is it a press for making crocks of sourkraut? (I
    know that is misspelled but I don't have time to check spelling!)

    When Andy posted his guess, I thought that was
    the best yet. It's consistent with the number
    of holes, curved bottom, standoff distance
    between the handle shaft and the perforated
    plate, and the configuration of the handles.

    On the other hand, I thought that's an awfully
    specialized tool. But if you were making gallons
    of tuna salad, it might be a practical tool.

    Sauerkraut or something else might
    also make sense, but this tool doesn't look
    like it can press very far into a container.
    Something like a bowl or crock would be
    deeper than a can of tuna.

    Awfully big tin of tuna. Also, the sieve is curved. The description
    says the sieve is about 5-3/4" across. That would make the vertical
    member about 1+". It is spot welded so you couldn't apply large amounts
    of pressure.

    So, a press for a large crock is a good guess. Or a sieve for something
    that is mostly liquid.

  9. Robert Klute said:

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 14:29:34 -0700, Mark Thorson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Goomba38 wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Andy wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > How about to drain cans of tuna? Remove the top, press it down to press
    > down the tuna to the bottom, bringing the water or oil to the surface,
    > then flip to pour it off!??? For cafeteria assembly line use?? LOL!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps not far off? Is it a press for making crocks of sourkraut? (I
    know that is misspelled but I don't have time to check spelling!)

    Quoted message said:

    When Andy posted his guess, I thought that was
    the best yet. It's consistent with the number
    of holes, curved bottom, standoff distance
    between the handle shaft and the perforated
    plate, and the configuration of the handles.

    Quoted message said:

    On the other hand, I thought that's an awfully
    specialized tool. But if you were making gallons
    of tuna salad, it might be a practical tool.

    Quoted message said:

    Sauerkraut or something else might
    also make sense, but this tool doesn't look
    like it can press very far into a container.
    Something like a bowl or crock would be
    deeper than a can of tuna.

    Awfully big tin of tuna. Also, the sieve is curved. The description
    says the sieve is about 5-3/4" across. That would make the vertical
    member about 1+". It is spot welded so you couldn't apply large amounts
    of pressure.

    So, a press for a large crock is a good guess. Or a sieve for something
    that is mostly liquid.

    A spaetzle maker?
    Roll the dough into a ball, press the tool into it, cut the spaetzle
    off the top of the sieve. Repeat as necessary.

  10. Robert Klute said:

    On Fri, 25 May 2007 14:29:34 -0700, Mark Thorson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Goomba38 wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Andy wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > How about to drain cans of tuna? Remove the top, press it down to press
    > down the tuna to the bottom, bringing the water or oil to the surface,
    > then flip to pour it off!??? For cafeteria assembly line use?? LOL!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps not far off? Is it a press for making crocks of sourkraut? (I
    know that is misspelled but I don't have time to check spelling!)

    Quoted message said:

    When Andy posted his guess, I thought that was
    the best yet. It's consistent with the number
    of holes, curved bottom, standoff distance
    between the handle shaft and the perforated
    plate, and the configuration of the handles.

    Quoted message said:

    On the other hand, I thought that's an awfully
    specialized tool. But if you were making gallons
    of tuna salad, it might be a practical tool.

    Quoted message said:

    Sauerkraut or something else might
    also make sense, but this tool doesn't look
    like it can press very far into a container.
    Something like a bowl or crock would be
    deeper than a can of tuna.

    Awfully big tin of tuna. Also, the sieve is curved. The description
    says the sieve is about 5-3/4" across. That would make the vertical
    member about 1+". It is spot welded so you couldn't apply large amounts
    of pressure.

    So, a press for a large crock is a good guess. Or a sieve for something
    that is mostly liquid.

    Spot welding is stronger than rivets, and that it's spot welded
    indicates it's not very old. The fact that it has two handles
    suggests a lot of pressure can be applied, but then the perforated
    disc and supports are only thin sheet metal so the construction is
    actually rather flimsy, regardless of how fastened. We are only
    assuming it's used for food, somehow though I doubt it.

    Sheldon

  11. Mark Thorson said:

    Here it is:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ110131198594

    My first thought is some sort of ricer,
    but the holes are too few and far between.

    It's definitely a steemer made to go in a pot with the handles on the
    outside. We had one when I was a kid. Works great for veggies and
    fish.

    Desirea

  12. Used to strain cans of old paint.

    "Mark Thorson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Here it is:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ110131198594

    My first thought is some sort of ricer,
    but the holes are too few and far between.

  13. Sheldon said:


    Spot welding is stronger than rivets, and that it's spot welded
    indicates it's not very old. The fact that it has two handles
    suggests a lot of pressure can be applied, but then the perforated
    disc and supports are only thin sheet metal so the construction is
    actually rather flimsy, regardless of how fastened. We are only
    assuming it's used for food, somehow though I doubt it.

    Those are good observations. Do you dispute the
    assertion that it is a vegetable/fish steamer?

    I'm a bit skeptical about the steamer idea because
    of the handles. I'd expect a steamer to have no
    handles, except for extensions to grab the sides
    of the pot. If anything, I'd expect one handle,
    for lifting the device + payload out of the pot.
    I don't see any reason a steamer would have two
    handles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.