General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Yorkshire Pudding

Started by Ophelia · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,268 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 August 2005
Last activity
8 August 2005
Original author
Ophelia
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,268
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–48 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    snipped

    ">>>>

    Quoted message said:

    >>> I expect you know that you need very good gravy to serve with it🙂
    >> This is another thing that I don't understand. Is gravy a sort of meat
    >> sauce?
    >> If yes, how do you eat? Do you put it over the puddings?
    >
    > Yes🙂 Yes I suppose you can call it a meat sauce

    Oh! So I can call "Ragù"
    Pandora
    >


    No Pandora, ragu is sauce with meat in it (at least that's what my mother
    says)...gravy is often made using the juices left in the bottom of the
    roasting pan when you have cooked a roast meat, you drain off some of the
    fat, add flour to make a roux and scrape up all the yummy bits in the
    pan, then add liquid (water, stock, whatever) to make the gravy

    Ahh excellent description🙂


    thanks Ophelia...I think my mother would be very disappointed if I couldn't
    describe a cooking process...she is an excellent cook, and has given me a
    great head start in life

    and no, I'm not American, I'm Australian :-)

  2. "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    snipped

    ">>>>
    >>>> I expect you know that you need very good gravy to serve with it🙂
    >>> This is another thing that I don't understand. Is gravy a sort of
    >>> meat sauce?
    >>> If yes, how do you eat? Do you put it over the puddings?
    >>
    >> Yes🙂 Yes I suppose you can call it a meat sauce
    >
    > Oh! So I can call "Ragù"
    > Pandora
    >>
    No Pandora, ragu is sauce with meat in it (at least that's what my
    mother says)...gravy is often made using the juices left in the bottom
    of the roasting pan when you have cooked a roast meat, you drain off
    some of the fat, add flour to make a roux and scrape up all the yummy
    bits in the pan, then add liquid (water, stock, whatever) to make the
    gravy
    Regards
    Maria

    Ohhhhh! I understand, now, Maria! Thank you.
    You have an Italian name, is your mother italian?
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


    yes Pandora, my mother is Italian, from Puglia

    Ohhhhh! Like my father-in-law. he is of Martinafranca 🙂
    Cheers and grretings to your mother
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


  3. "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    snipped

    ">>>>
    >>>> I expect you know that you need very good gravy to serve with it🙂
    >>> This is another thing that I don't understand. Is gravy a sort of
    >>> meat sauce?
    >>> If yes, how do you eat? Do you put it over the puddings?
    >>
    >> Yes🙂 Yes I suppose you can call it a meat sauce
    >
    > Oh! So I can call "Ragù"
    > Pandora
    >>
    No Pandora, ragu is sauce with meat in it (at least that's what my
    mother says)...gravy is often made using the juices left in the bottom
    of the roasting pan when you have cooked a roast meat, you drain off
    some of the fat, add flour to make a roux and scrape up all the yummy
    bits in the pan, then add liquid (water, stock, whatever) to make the
    gravy
    Regards
    Maria

    Ohhhhh! I understand, now, Maria! Thank you.
    You have an Italian name, is your mother italian?
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


    yes Pandora, my mother is Italian, from Puglia

    Ohhhhh! Like my father-in-law. he is of Martinafranca 🙂
    Cheers and grretings to your mother
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


  4. "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    snipped

    ">>>>
    >>>> I expect you know that you need very good gravy to serve with it🙂
    >>> This is another thing that I don't understand. Is gravy a sort of
    >>> meat sauce?
    >>> If yes, how do you eat? Do you put it over the puddings?
    >>
    >> Yes🙂 Yes I suppose you can call it a meat sauce
    >
    > Oh! So I can call "Ragù"
    > Pandora
    >>
    No Pandora, ragu is sauce with meat in it (at least that's what my
    mother says)...gravy is often made using the juices left in the bottom
    of the roasting pan when you have cooked a roast meat, you drain off
    some of the fat, add flour to make a roux and scrape up all the yummy
    bits in the pan, then add liquid (water, stock, whatever) to make the
    gravy

    Ahh excellent description🙂


    thanks Ophelia...I think my mother would be very disappointed if I
    couldn't describe a cooking process...she is an excellent cook, and has
    given me a great head start in life

    and no, I'm not American, I'm Australian :-)

    Ohhh! Good! Australia is light year far from me 🙂
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


  5. "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    snipped

    ">>>>
    >>>> I expect you know that you need very good gravy to serve with it🙂
    >>> This is another thing that I don't understand. Is gravy a sort of
    >>> meat sauce?
    >>> If yes, how do you eat? Do you put it over the puddings?
    >>
    >> Yes🙂 Yes I suppose you can call it a meat sauce
    >
    > Oh! So I can call "Ragù"
    > Pandora
    >>
    No Pandora, ragu is sauce with meat in it (at least that's what my
    mother says)...gravy is often made using the juices left in the bottom
    of the roasting pan when you have cooked a roast meat, you drain off
    some of the fat, add flour to make a roux and scrape up all the yummy
    bits in the pan, then add liquid (water, stock, whatever) to make the
    gravy

    Ahh excellent description🙂


    thanks Ophelia...I think my mother would be very disappointed if I
    couldn't describe a cooking process...she is an excellent cook, and has
    given me a great head start in life

    and no, I'm not American, I'm Australian :-)

    Ohhh! Good! Australia is light year far from me 🙂
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


  6. "sf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pan Ohco said:
    Bill said:


    Well now Ophelia, I have heard of Yorkshire Pudding before but I


    don't

    Quoted message said:

    know if I want to try it...did you leave out the sugar? What would
    folks over here in the "Colonies" call Yorkshire pudding...an
    Omelet...pie crust...custard? Help me understand the texture and
    flavor of Yorkshire Pudding!

    Bill


    Similar to a popover?


    Yes, almost exactly - so think "plain popover". Popovers have a lot
    of variations... and yorkshire pudding has - one.

    Not exactly. You can pour the batter over fruit or have the YP with
    syrup or jam

    Quoted message said:
  7. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > snipped
    >
    > ">>>>
    >>>>> I expect you know that you need very good gravy to serve with it🙂
    >>>> This is another thing that I don't understand. Is gravy a sort of
    >>>> meat sauce?
    >>>> If yes, how do you eat? Do you put it over the puddings?
    >>>
    >>> Yes🙂 Yes I suppose you can call it a meat sauce
    >>
    >> Oh! So I can call "Ragù"
    >> Pandora
    >>>
    > No Pandora, ragu is sauce with meat in it (at least that's what my
    > mother says)...gravy is often made using the juices left in the bottom
    > of the roasting pan when you have cooked a roast meat, you drain off
    > some of the fat, add flour to make a roux and scrape up all the yummy
    > bits in the pan, then add liquid (water, stock, whatever) to make the
    > gravy

    Ahh excellent description🙂


    thanks Ophelia...I think my mother would be very disappointed if I
    couldn't describe a cooking process...she is an excellent cook, and has
    given me a great head start in life

    and no, I'm not American, I'm Australian :-)

    Ohhh! Good! Australia is light year far from me 🙂
    Pandora

    I gather that you are in Italy...where in Italy are you?

    Maria

  8. "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MG" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "MG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >> snipped
    >>
    >> ">>>>
    >>>>>> I expect you know that you need very good gravy to serve with it🙂
    >>>>> This is another thing that I don't understand. Is gravy a sort of
    >>>>> meat sauce?
    >>>>> If yes, how do you eat? Do you put it over the puddings?
    >>>>
    >>>> Yes🙂 Yes I suppose you can call it a meat sauce
    >>>
    >>> Oh! So I can call "Ragù"
    >>> Pandora
    >>>>
    >> No Pandora, ragu is sauce with meat in it (at least that's what my
    >> mother says)...gravy is often made using the juices left in the bottom
    >> of the roasting pan when you have cooked a roast meat, you drain off
    >> some of the fat, add flour to make a roux and scrape up all the yummy
    >> bits in the pan, then add liquid (water, stock, whatever) to make the
    >> gravy
    >
    > Ahh excellent description🙂
    thanks Ophelia...I think my mother would be very disappointed if I
    couldn't describe a cooking process...she is an excellent cook, and has
    given me a great head start in life

    and no, I'm not American, I'm Australian :-)

    Ohhh! Good! Australia is light year far from me 🙂
    Pandora

    I gather that you are in Italy...where in Italy are you?

    Maria

    Since 2000 I live in Piedmont in a country near Turin called "Germagnano"
    (many trees, rivers and mountains here).
    Before I lived in "Castelli Romani" - Rocca di Papa (near Frascati-Rome).
    There I have two brothers and my mother.
    Cheers
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.