UK and Europe · Public discussion

You crash from both ends !

Started by Sniper8052(L96A1) · · Last activity · 66 posts · 1,769 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
13 November 2004
Last activity
18 November 2004
Original author
Sniper8052(L96A1)
Posts
66
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,769
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–66 of 66
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Monkey Hanger <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Larrington said:

    And many people I see have gone to the length of getting a rear light
    which they then attach to the strap of a courier bag, in such a position
    that it would be most visible to the drivers of motorcars approaching from
    second-storey windows on the opposite side of the street. What is the
    matter with these people?

    One of the best techniques I've seen is to affix a light to the back of a
    helmut and then obscure it with a rucksack. Another one is to put it on the
    seat post just under the seat and then wear some nice long flowing robes
    (well, a coat) that completely covers it. What's the point?

    Sticking the light in a mesh pocket in the rucksack also seems to be a
    favourite technique. Sometimes the light is visible from as far away
    as 30 feet.

    --
    Dave...

  2. Dave Kahn said:

    Sticking the light in a mesh pocket in the rucksack also seems to be a
    favourite technique. Sometimes the light is visible from as far away
    as 30 feet.

    Followed one of them last night. Light in mesh pocket at the top of the
    rucksack. Pointed vaguely backwards. Until he actually set off from the
    lights, at which point the "leaning forward to place mitts on bars" business
    resulted in the light being visible only to low-flying pigeons.

    --

    Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  3. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Beware the Demon Metal Fatigue. I have lost two expensive lights due
    to failure of folded aluminium brackets like these.

    You are not the only one. I've had the aluminium plate that's part of my
    touring pannier rack break in two within a few hundred miles after I
    attached a light to it. Since that is what the plate seems to be there
    for, and this was a particularly low-mass light (dynamo driven) I was
    not chuffed.

    These days I

    Quoted message said:

    either use an additional P-clip through the mounting bolt and looped
    over the carrier (on the TopLights), or a safety wire (length of brake
    cable with a loop connector crimped to each end, screwed to the
    light), or whatever, to ensure that if the bracket fatigues I don't
    lose the light.

    Very sensible.

  4. On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:27:45 +0000,

    Just zis Guy said:

    On 17 Nov 2004 23:24:45 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    been cut and folded at right angles, which the rear-light bolts onto.

    Beware the Demon Metal Fatigue. I have lost two expensive lights due
    to failure of folded aluminium brackets like these.

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, and I make any folded brackets from stainless instead :-)

    It is what I had to hand. I didn't have a thin enough piece of
    any steel that I could use. Still it does a job.

    --
    Andy Leighton => [email hidden]
    "The Lord is my shepherd, but we still lost the sheep dog trials"
    - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

  5. JLB said:

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Beware the Demon Metal Fatigue. I have lost two expensive lights due
    to failure of folded aluminium brackets like these.

    I had this happen to me. So I rummaged around and found a plastic bottle
    with a rectangular base of about the same width as my rear light.

    I made a triangular bracket out of this (imagine something the shape of
    the triangular packs which supermarket sadnwiches come in).

    Bolted one flat surface to the underside of the pannier rack, bolted
    the lamp to the other (vertical, rear-facing) flat surface.

    Flexible enough to survive everyday bouncing around, and no risk of
    metal fatigue!

  6. Simon Brooke said:

    From the point of view of a driver, I am a *huge* fan of flashing
    lights. They're immediately noticeable and recognisable as 'bike', at a
    huge distance - just like pedal reflectors. Not merely more visible
    than a steady light, but much more diagnostic. However, I should say I
    only drive and ride on remote rural roads these days, so I'm not
    familiar with how they perform in urban conditions.

    Unlit areas are actually where I find flashing lights most irritating.
    In an urban setting there is usually enough ambient light to track the
    movement of a bike without needing to see its lights. In a rural
    setting a bike lit only by a flashing light seems to keep appearing and
    disappearing.

    Tracking a moving, flashing light requires more processing power than
    tracking a steady light, which I fear might make me less likely to see
    any hazard that might suddenly appear between me and the bike (or at any
    rate I'll probably see that hazard later than I would have done if I
    hadn't been trying to track the movement of a flashing light).

    Besides which, being stuck behind a flashing light on a dark road or
    cyclepath gives me a headache.

    I tend to regard the use of flashing lights without adjacent steady
    lights as dangerous and antisocial, so I won't do it.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.