Road Cycling · Public discussion

You guys need a moderator! (A user rant, not a troll post.)

Started by It's Chris · · Last activity · 14 posts · 584 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
6 March 2008
Last activity
9 March 2008
Original author
It's Chris
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
584
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    me: climbing on soapbox

    It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
    a flame war. God forbid a troll posts something, within a week you have
    a thread 1200 replies long, none of it usefull to anyone except the
    troll who once again has sopped the fools into his web. This despite the
    fact that "everyone" says "just ignore it, he'll go away". But no body
    does. And he keep winning.

    I pity the newbie that comes here for the first time, posts an inoocent
    question in the hopes of some friendly advice, only to discover a few
    days later he has started a war!

    I'm able to ignore these, if I see insults being thrown I simply skip to
    the next reply in the hopes of finding something usefull. No temptation,
    no sin. why can't you? My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of
    it's shortomings), which meand I haf to plow through thousands of
    replies in a ruined thread to get to the next topic. That's the main
    reason for my rant.

    Strangly enough, someone posts spam and that DOES get ignored. Two
    replies, max, and it sinks into oblivion.

    Quoted message said:

    me: stepping down from box :-3)

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

  2. "It's Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me: climbing on soapbox

    It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
    a flame war. God forbid a troll posts something, within a week you have
    a thread 1200 replies long, none of it usefull to anyone except the
    troll who once again has sopped the fools into his web. This despite the
    fact that "everyone" says "just ignore it, he'll go away". But no body
    does. And he keep winning.

    I pity the newbie that comes here for the first time, posts an inoocent
    question in the hopes of some friendly advice, only to discover a few
    days later he has started a war!

    I'm able to ignore these, if I see insults being thrown I simply skip to
    the next reply in the hopes of finding something usefull. No temptation,
    no sin. why can't you? My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of
    it's shortomings), which meand I haf to plow through thousands of
    replies in a ruined thread to get to the next topic. That's the main
    reason for my rant.

    Strangly enough, someone posts spam and that DOES get ignored. Two
    replies, max, and it sinks into oblivion.

    Quoted message said:

    me: stepping down from box :-3)

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    thi site is full of absolutely marvelous persons with deep and sensitive
    knowledge of english, sophisticated grammatical knowledge, addicted to being
    right and in control, unmetaled, chock full of disaprovals and utterly
    fantastic

    i encourage others especially newbies to come here and become informed
    knowledge of bicycling is a totally different thing--here are the best

    fwiw

  3. "It's Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me: climbing on soapbox


    (snip)
    It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
    a flame war. >

    Quoted message said:

    me: stepping down from box :-3)

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner


    I continue to think RBM and RBT are quite well behaved, by Usenet newsgroup
    standards. I don't have any trouble ignoring threads which do not interest
    me.

    There are plenty of dysfunctional newsgroups, but I would not include
    RBM/RBT in that category.

    J.

  4. Jay said:


    "It's Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me: climbing on soapbox


    (snip)
    It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
    a flame war. >

    Quoted message said:

    me: stepping down from box :-3)

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner


    I continue to think RBM and RBT are quite well behaved, by Usenet newsgroup
    standards. I don't have any trouble ignoring threads which do not interest
    me.

    There are plenty of dysfunctional newsgroups, but I would not include
    RBM/RBT in that category.

    You've got that right!

    Chris is really complaining about webtv rather than Usenet.

    Most unmoderated blogs or comment sections of any popular media that
    has a presence on the web, and most unmoderated HTML based forums,
    show the same rapid degeneracy of topical dialogue you'll find in any
    Usenet groups. [censored] are everywhere. It's perpetually September.

    Usenet is the first and last great outpost of our human right to free
    speech.
    --
    zk

  5. Quoted message said:

    ...[censored] are everywhere...

    Quoted message said:

    zk

    What, are you some kind of reactionary right-wing religious zealot? IF
    people want to [censored] in the privacy of their own bed/bathrooms what
    business it of yours? I suspect that you are actually a closeted
    [censored] yourself and your habitual denigration of same is merely an
    attempt to disguise the fact.

  6. DennisTheBald said:
    Quoted message said:

    ...[censored] are everywhere...

    Quoted message said:

    zk

    What, are you some kind of reactionary right-wing religious zealot? IF
    people want to [censored] in the privacy of their own bed/bathrooms what
    business it of yours? I suspect that you are actually a closeted
    [censored] yourself and your habitual denigration of same is merely an
    attempt to disguise the fact.


    It is apparently illegal to do so with the aid of a bicycle in Scotland,
    even behind a locked hotel door:
    <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm>.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  7. On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:13:24 -0500, [email hidden] (It's Chris)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    me: climbing on soapbox

    It seems you can't go more than fifteen replies without sombody starting
    a flame war. God forbid a troll posts something, within a week you have
    a thread 1200 replies long, none of it usefull to anyone except the
    troll who once again has sopped the fools into his web. This despite the
    fact that "everyone" says "just ignore it, he'll go away". But no body
    does. And he keep winning.

    I pity the newbie that comes here for the first time, posts an inoocent
    question in the hopes of some friendly advice, only to discover a few
    days later he has started a war!

    I'm able to ignore these, if I see insults being thrown I simply skip to
    the next reply in the hopes of finding something usefull. No temptation,
    no sin. why can't you? My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of
    it's shortomings), which meand I haf to plow through thousands of
    replies in a ruined thread to get to the next topic. That's the main
    reason for my rant.

    Strangly enough, someone posts spam and that DOES get ignored. Two
    replies, max, and it sinks into oblivion.

    Quoted message said:

    me: stepping down from box :-3)

    - -
    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    You should consider getting a decent news reader that will allow you to navigate
    amongst the postings. I have been using "Agent" for many years. I believe
    they still may put out a free version with less features.

    Ben

  8. Ben Kaufman said:


    You should consider getting a decent news reader that will allow you to navigate
    amongst the postings. I have been using "Agent" for many years. I believe
    they still may put out a free version with less features.

    Ben

    There's even a firefox plugin for Google Groups.
    The Mk I eyeball works too.

  9. Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:13:24 -0500, [email hidden] (It's


    Chris)

    Quoted message said:

    wrote:
    My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of it's shortomings),
    which meand I haf to plow through thousands of replies
    in a ruined thread to get to the next topic.
    That's the main reason for my rant.

    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    Ben says;

    You should consider getting a decent news reader that will
    allow you to navigate amongst the postings.   I have
    been using "Agent" for many years. I believe they still
    may put out a free version with less features.
    Ben

    I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a net appliance, not
    a PC. Prior to WebTV's sell-out to Microsoft, "webbies" were
    constantly developing work-arounds, adapting WebTv to be the "little
    black box that could".
    Bill Gates quickly recognized this wasn't a good thing for monopoly
    building. Since the MSN take-over, the free MSNTV "upgrades" are only
    such, when viewed while standing on your head. In other words, what
    you see is what you get, and that's less and less everyday.
    I've never bought a PC, nor will I. But I do have a Mac as well as
    my WebTv.

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

  10. "Michael Baldwin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:13:24 -0500, [email hidden] (It's


    Chris)

    Quoted message said:

    wrote:
    My NG reader doesn't collapse threads (one of it's shortomings),
    which meand I haf to plow through thousands of replies
    in a ruined thread to get to the next topic.
    That's the main reason for my rant.

    Compliments of:
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
    If you want to E-mail me use:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
    My website:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    Ben says;

    You should consider getting a decent news reader that will
    allow you to navigate amongst the postings. I have
    been using "Agent" for many years. I believe they still
    may put out a free version with less features.
    Ben

    I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a net appliance, not
    a PC. Prior to WebTV's sell-out to Microsoft, "webbies" were
    constantly developing work-arounds, adapting WebTv to be the "little
    black box that could".
    Bill Gates quickly recognized this wasn't a good thing for monopoly
    building. Since the MSN take-over, the free MSNTV "upgrades" are only
    such, when viewed while standing on your head. In other words, what
    you see is what you get, and that's less and less everyday.
    I've never bought a PC, nor will I. But I do have a Mac as well as
    my WebTv.

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

    Quoted message said:



    So does the Mac not have a good (3rd party) newsgroup reader?

    Or do you only have Internet access through WebTV?

    IMO, a personal computer (PC or Mac) w/o Internet access is borderline
    useless.

    Sorry, I have difficulty looking at the world from a Mac user point-of-view.

    J.

  11. Jays asks

    Quoted message said:

    So does the Mac not have a good (3rd party)
    newsgroup reader?
    Or do you only have Internet access through WebTV?
    IMO, a personal computer (PC or Mac) w/o Internet access
    is borderline useless.
    Sorry, I have difficulty looking at the world from a
    Mac user point-of-view.
    J.

    As I write this reply my lovely assistant is using "her" Mac on-line.
    For emails, NG's and general net surfing I prefer the WebTV with it's
    wireless keyboard, my La-Z-Boy and the 24" Hi-Def "monitor" / TV.
    Example I'm watching a PBS special right now about brain plasticity as I
    type this.
    Regarding your "difficulty looking at the world from a Mac user
    point-of-view" that's understandable.

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

  12. "Michael Baldwin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    As I write this reply my lovely assistant is using "her" Mac on-line.
    For emails, NG's and general net surfing I prefer the WebTV with it's
    wireless keyboard, my La-Z-Boy and the 24" Hi-Def "monitor" / TV.
    Example I'm watching a PBS special right now about brain plasticity as I
    type this.
    Regarding your "difficulty looking at the world from a Mac user
    point-of-view" that's understandable.

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin


    At home, I like to do Internet stuff on a PC, while watching TV with the
    sound muted, and sound coming from a music CD, or perhaps a minimized DVD
    window.

    It seems Americans like to multi-task, even when they are relaxing.

    If I were to get TiVo, I would probably turn into Howard Hughes.

    J.

  13. On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:59:57 -0600, "Jay" <[email hidden]> wrote,
    in part:

    Quoted message said:

    I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a net appliance, not
    a PC. Prior to WebTV's sell-out to Microsoft, "webbies" were
    constantly developing work-arounds, adapting WebTv to be the "little
    black box that could".

    me too!!!!!! (first week in January)

    But I've always used a newserver (or four) and an off-line newsreader
    with its own database.

    Totally different experience.
    --
    zk

  14. Quoted message said:

    I've been online since 1996 with WebTv. WebTv is a
    net appliance, not a PC.   Prior to WebTV's sell-out
    to Microsoft, "webbies" were constantly developing work-arounds,


    adapting WebTv to

    Zoot writes;

    Quoted message said:

    be the "little black box that could".
    me too!!!!!! (first week in January)
    But I've always used a newserver (or four) and an
    off-line newsreader with its own database.
    Totally different experience.
    --
    zk

    So there's a known quanity of three-
    Jay, Zoot. & Mike

    Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.