you people out there riding double or tripple?

ok, my bad. good luck with getting your bike together. maybe get a saturday job in your lbs or something

Originally posted by Kaboom
What kind of cranks are you riding?

double: 53/39

Trying to see if I can live with a 39-25 combo since the biggest hill around here is Mt Diablo: 5% to 4000ft. If I lived in Europe, whoa! not sure what I could live with.

Surely a 53/39 with 12/27 cassette is the best (cheapest) option unless you're a racer?? 39-27 is a low enough gear for most steep climbs while 53-12 is tall enough for some pretty serious downwind runs...

Originally posted by merubeyurubu
Surely a 53/39 with 12/27 cassette is the best (cheapest) option unless you're a racer?? 39-27 is a low enough gear for most steep climbs while 53-12 is tall enough for some pretty serious downwind runs...

It all depends on your cadence,

Old mountain bike: granny and middle with bash ring
New mountain bike: stock trriple
City bike: stock triple
Road bike: 105 double, but after vacationing in smoky mountains might consider a triple if I lived in that hilly an area.

Originally posted by OHsingltrakr
Old mountain bike: granny and middle with bash ring
New mountain bike: stock trriple
City bike: stock triple
Road bike: 105 double, but after vacationing in smoky mountains might consider a triple if I lived in that hilly an area.

Debated the double vs triple issue for months for my new roadie - I went double with a 53/39 and 13-29 in behind (for those weary days). I hardly ever use the 26 or 29 - if I do it's to keep the HR down duting warmup/cooldown. I figured if I'm going to the mountains for a fishing trip or whatever I'll be taking the MTB anyway.

Originally posted by ProfTournesol
camag Centaur triple on my Look Carbon. I can't keep my cadence (90-100) uphill without the triple, and then I slow down too much and also lactate up too much. I love my triple! I recently changed it from a 30 to a 28 so that I could keep the cadence on even steeper hills.

Hi ProfT,

I just ordered a bike with an ultegra triple. I was thinking of going with a 32-42-53 on the front and a 12-21 on the back. I will be riding some 10 percenters in the summer maybe even steeper (I know a climb that is 20% for about 400 meters which I had to tack on in the past). Should I go for a 12-23 on the back? I was riding these types of climbs with a 42-53 and 12-23 in the past but I'm too old now.

Thanks,

Wad (ol)

Originally posted by wadoflove
Hi ProfT,

I just ordered a bike with an ultegra triple. I was thinking of going with a 32-42-53 on the front and a 12-21 on the back. I will be riding some 10 percenters in the summer maybe even steeper (I know a climb that is 20% for about 400 meters which I had to tack on in the past). Should I go for a 12-23 on the back? I was riding these types of climbs with a 42-53 and 12-23 in the past but I'm too old now.

Thanks,

Wad (ol)

I'm in the process of building a 50, 30 x 13-29. It's tight with good ratios at both ends. If you need more than 29 you can have a gear made, or if it's shimano XTR has Ti gears already made. You might consider that instead of a triple.

Best,

Gordon

Double - 56 and I think a 39, I rarely use it anymore since being away from big hills for the past two seasons.

Triple on my road bike and triple on my mtb.

Triple withut a doubt.
If serious about cycling then a triple is a must nowadays.

Rider
-------------------------------------------

A triple! Goes without saying.
Why have a double when you can have a triple!

Rider
----------------------------------------------

You said it. Ypu're too old now. Give it up.

Rider.
---------------------------------------

Hi ProfT,

....I was riding these types of climbs with a 42-53 and 12-23 in the past but I'm too old now.

Thanks,

Wad (ol)

Originally posted by rider

Rider
----------------------------------------------

Rider

Why? Because you can have all the benefits of a triple with a compact double without the extra cost and weight and extra width. I can't think of any other reasons.

Gordon

Saw a quad when I was riding in Iowa (who knew Iowa was so hilly). BTW the EC stands for East Coast which may explain the single speed. Hopefully all of this dialog was helpful for you, but you should get what works for you. Don't trash your knees to ride a double or get a triple just because you can - evaluate your riding situation and (to quote F. Mercury) "get on your bikes and ride".

Possibly,.... but weight is certainly not a reason to go double. Most riders have 107 grammes extra haging about their belly anyway!

...and I challenge anyone to feel the difference in weight while riding, between a triple and a double.

Rider

Originally posted by thotdoc

Why? Because you can have all the benefits of a triple with a compact double without the extra cost and weight and extra width. I can't think of any other reasons.

Gordon

Hi ProfT,

Thanks,

Wad (ol)

the way I see it, the gearing depends on your own cadence. What works for me may be wrong for you. It's like a car: a high revving engine that develops maximum torque higher in the rev range will need different gearing that a car that develops maximum torque early in the rev range. This means that there is no 'right gear range' on a range that is right for you, depending on your cadence and torque (leg strength)

I ride a triple but have never used the granny ring - it came with the bike and am embarassed by it! It would have to be a very steep and very long hill to need it!

Originally posted by James Dalton
I ride a triple but have never used the granny ring - it came with the bike and am embarassed by it! It would have to be a very steep and very long hill to need it!

Don't throw the granny ring away just yet - spend the next 20 years drinking beer and eating pizza (like I did) and you might need it!:D