Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

your opinion on ?????

Started by max63 · · Last activity · 17 posts · 2,542 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 December 2005
Last activity
31 December 2005
Original author
max63
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,542
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. greetings all , i just came into a little extra cash , (didn't rob a bank or anything , just sold an old motorcycle!!!!!)
    i would like to do a little upgrade , i would really like to go with either a Dura Ace , or Campy Record .....set
    which would you choose and why.....
    RR only!!!!!!currently using 105's

    thanks for the advice
    "cheers max63"

  2. unless you get a good deal, i wouldn't go for the top of the line models. not really worth it. the ultegra or chorus are just as good, but for far less.

    here's a nice article on campy vs. shimano.
    biketechreview.comCampy vs Shimano.htm
    they even went to the piont of highlighting per gram savings from shimano 105 to ultegra and dura ace.

    i've had both and it's really a personal perception issue.

  3. laffingbilly said:

    unless you get a good deal, i wouldn't go for the top of the line models. not really worth it. the ultegra or chorus are just as good, but for far less.

    here's a nice article on campy vs. shimano.
    biketechreview.comCampy vs Shimano.htm
    they even went to the piont of highlighting per gram savings from shimano 105 to ultegra and dura ace.

    i've had both and it's really a personal perception issue.


    I agree. Unless you go for a full drivetrain upgrade, you wont see tha tmuch of a performance boost. If any. I can't think of a ride where I thought "man, i could've hung with the fast group if it wasnt for my 105 RD!"

  4. This topic usually gets a million of opinionated responses. My comment: both grupos at a similar price point are equal in quality. The only real difference is in the brifters (the brake/shifters). Campy uses a thumb lever for one direction, Shimano shifts both up & down using the brake lever or the lever right behind. Try both and decide which is more comfortable for you. My experience: since I race, I wanted to be able to do all the shifting comfortably from the drops, and Shimano was more convenient for me than the Campy, so that was my "decider." Most of the rest of the stuff is pure emotion (which for many people is a sufficient reason to make a choice.)

  5. If it was me, I'd go with Campy Chorus..... but swap out the Chorus hubs for Record(about a $60 additional $ , I think its worth it for the easily servicability of Record + lighter weight). 🙂

  6. Funny you should mention this, I went from a Tiagra/Sora equipped Canondale to a Record Six13, both have the Thumb levers...go figure...

    Personally, I think I prefer the Dura ace brake pods for comfort, plus, seeing as the Record change system is supposed to be ergonomic I sometimes inadvertantly rest my Thumbs on the thumb lever and try and change down with the Brake Lever at the same time...of course, it won't work...however, the nice thing about Record is that one can change up (through to the smaller Cogs) multiple gears in one movement....

    I agree, try both and see which is more intuitive and comfortable...just like I didn't.....

    palewin said:

    This topic usually gets a million of opinionated responses. My comment: both grupos at a similar price point are equal in quality. The only real difference is in the brifters (the brake/shifters). Campy uses a thumb lever for one direction, Shimano shifts both up & down using the brake lever or the lever right behind. Try both and decide which is more comfortable for you. My experience: since I race, I wanted to be able to do all the shifting comfortably from the drops, and Shimano was more convenient for me than the Campy, so that was my "decider." Most of the rest of the stuff is pure emotion (which for many people is a sufficient reason to make a choice.)

  7. thanks for the info , it's a tough call 😕,
    i am doing a full drivetrain build , so either one of these systems will be appreciated more so than what i have now , i guess it'll be a coin toss🙄
    "cheers max63"

  8. My opinion... both are good. Record has a bit more of a wow factor to it. The only thing I dont like about Record are the flat hoods.

    I currently have Dura-Ace and its alright. Everyone keeps telling me I shouldve gotten Record, then they follow up with I shouldve gotten a "Lance" bike. Whatever...

  9. Adam-from-SLO said:

    If it was me, I'd go with Campy Chorus..... but swap out the Chorus hubs for Record(about a $60 additional $ , I think its worth it for the easily servicability of Record + lighter weight). 🙂


    Centaur through Record all have the same bearings. Record hubs are 10g lighter in the rear and 1 gram heavier in the front than Chorus. Record is only worth it if you really want the 28h drilling that Chorus doesn't come in.

    As for Record vs. Dura-Ace, they're pretty well matched in terms of performance. Personally, I can't stand the feel of Shimano's shifting.

  10. artmichalek said:

    Centaur through Record all have the same bearings. Record hubs are 10g lighter in the rear and 1 gram heavier in the front than Chorus. Record is only worth it if you really want the 28h drilling that Chorus doesn't come in.

    As for Record vs. Dura-Ace, they're pretty well matched in terms of performance. Personally, I can't stand the feel of Shimano's shifting.


    Dont forget to that you must have that over whelming desire to bling out your bike with carbon parts. Chorus is mechancially identical in the majority of cases, with a few minor exceptions.

  11. campag make bike stuff, lamborghini wheels (at one time) and corkscrews

    shimano make bike stuff and fishing gear

    I prefer campag record over Dura Ace but at lower levels, there is not as much to choose between them

  12. I upgraded my 9 spd Ultegra to 10 spd Dura Ace and was amazed at the difference. The Dura Ace brakes are amazing, the shifters are a bit smoother and more positive and the new BB (Ultegra 10 spd now has it as well) absolutely transformed the feel of my bike - more 'together/hooked up'. I'd never own a bike now that didn't run Dura Ace (never ridden a bike with Campag so can't offer an opinion)

  13. max63 said:

    greetings all , i just came into a little extra cash , (didn't rob a bank or anything , just sold an old motorcycle!!!!!)
    i would like to do a little upgrade , i would really like to go with either a Dura Ace , or Campy Record .....set
    which would you choose and why.....
    RR only!!!!!!currently using 105's

    thanks for the advice
    "cheers max63"

    This may not be what you want to hear but if I came into some extra cash (by robbing a bank or whatever) and were looking for the best bang for the buck performance upgrade I would upgrade the wheels. After that it would be the frame (unless you have a frame that you just love).

    Components just won't offer that much of a weight savings to make the expenditure worth while in many cases. DA and Record are both beyond any meaningful bang for the buck upgrade.

  14. max63 said:

    greetings all , i just came into a little extra cash , (didn't rob a bank or anything , just sold an old motorcycle!!!!!)
    i would like to do a little upgrade , i would really like to go with either a Dura Ace , or Campy Record .....set
    which would you choose and why.....
    RR only!!!!!!currently using 105's

    thanks for the advice
    "cheers max63"


    If you want the top end stuff, by all means go for it. These threads typically result in stern lectures about the virtues of responsible spending. I prefer to just answer the questions that were posed. Record is my choice. Campy stuff is more re-buildable, plus I like the ergonomics better. The shifting is lightning fast and solid feeling and it is quite durable.

  15. Go with all Ultegra and with the rest of the extra money,upgrade the wheelset where you will really see a difference.

  16. Hi, I have a Madone 5.9 which of course comes with Dura Ace 10 sd. Aside from the Lance factor, here is why Shimano components also was a key factor for me when buying. Beside being a cyclist, I am also a fisherman. In fact, I used to be a Fishing Tackle buyer (for a very large sporting goods chain) and have always leaned toward Shimano rods and reels even before I was a buyer. I always noticed that Shimano reels operated more smoothly, lasted longer and seemed to be tougher built. Besides the reliable,smooth operation and tight tolearances of these reels, the machining process was always more elegant with smooth lines and edges and there just seemed to be more attention to detail. After I became a Fishing Tackle buyer, I had the privledge of taking a tour of the behind the scenes machining and quality assurance testing of Shimano reels. Needless to say, I was blown away by the processes and attention that actually took place to manufacture these super high quality fishing reels. And...Fishing is a very small part of the Shimano business when compared to the bicycle business.
    I would have to believe that Shimano has much more cutting edge technology than Campy due to their size and cross over in business'. And....they are a Japanese company. Would you prefer a Sony or an American made tv, if there are any left?

    As far as Shimano components go, I'm sure that Ultega is just a good a Dura Ace.
    My vote will always be for Shimano, no matter what it is they are manufacturing.

    max63 said:

    greetings all , i just came into a little extra cash , (didn't rob a bank or anything , just sold an old motorcycle!!!!!)
    i would like to do a little upgrade , i would really like to go with either a Dura Ace , or Campy Record .....set
    which would you choose and why.....
    RR only!!!!!!currently using 105's

    thanks for the advice
    "cheers max63"

  17. OscarC said:


    I would have to believe that Shimano has much more cutting edge technology than Campy due to their size and cross over in business'. And....they are a Japanese company. Would you prefer a Sony or an American made tv, if there are any left?

    I'd rather own a Ferrari Testerosa..... then a Mitsibishi Galant, or a Toyota Camary, Lexus GS 300, Honda Accord coupe, Acura Integra, or Nissan Maxima 😉

    So, you think the bigger a business is(in comparison to another company in the same market).... the overall better the quality ?? Possibly the more money they can spend on R+D .... given how many more units of a certain component they make(on OE. bikes) .... thus more profits , makes sense I guess.

    Both Campy + Shimano work great. Try some Campy components.... then come back and do a follow up response to this thread. Its all about experiencing new things in life.... 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.