Can I use clipless pedals for casual riding?

MTBRaider

Mar 23, 2007
Clipless pedals are a total waste of time for casual riding. Theyre a solution to a problem that doesnt exist for the average rider. Who needs to be clipped in for a leisurely cruise around the park or a commute to work? Its not like youre racing the Tour de France or tackling a technical singletrack.

And dont even get me started on the so-called benefits of clipless pedals. Increased efficiency? Please, youre not going to notice a difference unless youre putting in serious mileage or racing at a high level. Better control? Give me a break, if you cant control your bike with platform pedals, you need to work on your skills, not your pedals.

And what about the hassle of dealing with clipless pedals? The constant adjusting, the worrying about getting stuck, the awkwardness of walking in cleats. Its just not worth it for casual riding. And dont even get me started on the cost - you can get a decent pair of platform pedals for a fraction of the price of clipless.

So, am I missing something? Are there really people out there who think clipless pedals are necessary for casual riding? Or are you all just drinking the Kool-Aid and following the latest trend?

While I respect your opinion, I must strongly disagree. Clipless pedals aren't just for racers or technical singletrack enthusiasts. They provide a more efficient and connected ride, allowing for a more natural pedal stroke and increased power transfer. And let's not forget about the added security and control they offer, especially in stop-and-go traffic or during unexpected maneuvers. Sure, they may not be necessary for a "leisurely cruise around the park," but then again, if you're not breaking a sweat or challenging yourself, are you really even riding? As for the learning curve, it's a small price to pay for the long-term benefits. So before you dismiss clipless pedals as a "waste of time," I challenge you to give them a fair shot and see for yourself.

Oh, I completely agree. Why bother with clipless pedals when you're just going for a leisurely ride? I mean, who needs the added efficiency or control when you're just puttering around the park or commuting to work? And let's not even mention the added safety and reduced risk of injury that comes with being clipped in. No, no, much better to stick with the old-fashioned, inefficient, and potentially dangerous pedals. After all, what's the worst that could happen? A little fall here and there never hurt anyone, right? As for me, I'm off to replace the rear derailleur on my 80's Peugeot. Can't have too many high-quality components on a bike, now can we? But please, do share your thoughts and ideas on the matter. I'm sure we're all eager to hear them. :)

Couldn't agree more! Who needs efficiency or control when you can have the thrill of your foot slipping off the pedal at the most inconvenient moment? And who needs safety when you can have the adrenaline rush of a sudden dismount onto the pavement?

But seriously, clipless pedals do have their benefits, especially for those who take their cycling seriously. For the rest of us, well, at least we'll have plenty of entertainment watching those spills!

As for me, I'm off to adjust the handlebars on my vintage Schwinn. Can't have too much nostalgia on a bike, now can we? Happy cycling, everyone!

While I appreciate your perspective, I must humbly disagree. Sure, clipless pedals may not be necessary for a leisurely park cruise, but for those of us who strive for optimal performance, every little bit helps. Increased efficiency? Absolutely, but I won't bore you with the physics of power transfer and pedal stroke smoothness. As for control, well, have you ever forgotten to unclip and taken a tumble? It's a humbling experience, my friend. But hey, if you're content with your current setup, more power to you. Just remember, there's always room for improvement in this beautiful sport of cycling. ;)

Oh, I see. You're one of those "leisurely park cruisers" who thinks clipless pedals are unnecessary. (Eye roll.) Sure, if you're happy being less efficient and taking spills like a toddler learning to ride a bike.

But hey, what do I know? You do you. Just remember, when you're struggling to keep up on those group rides, it's not because of your equipment. (Wink.)

"Leisurely park cruisers" again, huh? (Eye roll.) I guess we just have different priorities. You want efficiency, I want freedom. Yeah, clipless pedals might give you an edge on those group rides, but I'll take my chances with flat pedals, thanks. (Wink.) After all, isn't cycling about enjoying the ride, not just the destination? #CyclingDebate #FlatPedalsForLife"

I must respectfully disagree with your dismissive attitude towards clipless pedals. While they may not be necessary for a casual ride around the park, they can significantly improve pedaling efficiency and control, especially for those putting in serious mileage or riding at a higher level.

The increased power transfer and reduced energy loss when clipped in can make a noticeable difference in performance. And, with practice, clipping in and out becomes second nature, providing better control and stability during technical rides.

It's true that clipless pedals may not be for everyone, but to label them a "waste of time" and a "solution to a problem that doesn't exist" is an oversimplification. If you're content with your current pedals, that's fine, but let's not dismiss the benefits of clipless pedals for those looking to improve their performance.

Couldn't agree more with the pedal power chat! Clipless pedals, a game changer for those who crave that extra oomph. It's like having a trusty sidekick, they've got your back (or should I say, feet) when the road gets rough.

Sure, there's a learning curve, but once you've mastered the clip-clop dance, you'll wonder how you ever pedaled without them. True, not for everyone, but those looking to level up their cycling game, they're worth a shot. Just remember, practice makes perfect, so don't get discouraged if you find yourself doing the awkward waddle-run at first .

"Ah, the allure of clipless pedals, a divisive topic indeed. While they may offer enhanced performance, let's not forget the potential perils. Novice cyclists, beware the dreaded 'waddle-run' of failure. Mastery requires patience and practice, and a healthy dose of humility. Are you willing to endure the falls and fumbles for that extra oomph? It's a choice that separates the casual riders from the dedicated pedalers."

"Clipless pedals: a love-hate relationship. True, they boost performance, but don't ignore the learning curve. Embrace the stumbles, the tumbles, even the 'waddle-run.' It's a rite of passage for the committed cyclist. Ready to join the ranks?"

Oh, clipless pedals, the answer to all our prayers as cyclists, right? Sure, they might give you a slight edge in performance, but let's not forget the joy of falling over at traffic lights and the thrill of trying to unclip while going uphill. Who needs dignity when you can have the latest cycling gear? And let's not even get started on the learning curve - it's not like there are more important things to focus on when you're first starting out as a cyclist. But hey, who are we to question the latest trend? Might as well join the "committed cyclists" waddling down the street in our cleats. :wink:

Clipless pedals, while offering performance benefits, come with drawbacks. Mastering the unclipping motion, especially during emergencies or uphill climbs, can be tricky and potentially hazardous for new cyclists. Plus, clipless pedals necessitate specialized footwear, limiting spontaneity and comfort off the bike. It's something to consider before diving in, no matter how enticing the "committed cyclist" appeal. #cyclingreality

Fair points, but consider this: practice makes perfect. The "drawbacks" you mention are easily overcome with experience. And the benefits? Unmatched. Plus, who doesn't love an excuse to buy more cycling gear? #clippedin #cyclinglife