Cycling is one of the hardest sports because ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex Noel-Tod

On the BBC Sport cycling website, Chris Boardman says : ""There is no doubt in my mind that the Tour
de France is the hardest sporting event there is. Put it this way, it must be the only one where you
need a haircut halfway through."

Maybe, but on that basis I reckon we lose out handsomely to Transglobal sailing (even Ellen MacA
must need another close headshave before she finally docks ?)

What criterion/criteria would you suggest ... ?

There's no doubt that trans-global sailing requires alot of stamina, fitness and guts, but in terms
of 'sporting' events where physical fitness is the key element then I don't think there is anything
that comes close to the TDF. Cycling 200k's a day for 3 weeks or thereabouts including all the
mountain passes to my mind is almost beyond comprehension. "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On the BBC Sport cycling website, Chris Boardman says : ""There is no doubt in my mind that the
> Tour de France is the hardest sporting event there is. Put it this way, it must be the only one
> where you need a haircut halfway through."
>
>
> Maybe, but on that basis I reckon we lose out handsomely to Transglobal sailing (even Ellen MacA
> must need another close headshave before she finally docks ?)
>
> What criterion/criteria would you suggest ... ?

Though I have limited experience of sailing (crossing Channel in force
6/7/8 was enough), I think TDF probably wins in terms of heart-beats per week, energy expended and
calories required ... though perhaps not in tiredness or courage required or hours talking to
god on the white telephone ... and draw on tenacity. It all depends ... !

"Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On the BBC Sport cycling website, Chris Boardman says : ""There is no doubt in my mind that the
> Tour de France is the hardest sporting event there is. Put it this way, it must be the only one
>
>
> Maybe, but on that basis I reckon we lose out handsomely to Transglobal sailing (even Ellen MacA

Hard to compare IMO. The cyclists get a decent bed and proper food every night as well as constant
support during the day. The lone yachttie is completely at the mercy of the elements, often far from
anyone else capable of providing practical assistance, has a poor sleep pattern and despite modern
comms is very much alone.

But they're all heroes in my book.

Pete

Paul Saunders wrote:

[snip]

> Cycling 200k's a day for 3 weeks or thereabouts including all the mountain passes to my mind is
> almost beyond comprehension.

That just about summarises my feelings; in fact, it /is/ beyond my comprehension. Mind-blowing. I
really don't think there can be a sport which is as demanding.

Philip Taylor

"Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
>
Well I'm a keen sailor and a keen cyclist, though nowhere near the levels of TDF or Vendée Globe.
But from my experience, long distance sailing requires totally different stamina to long distance
cycling. Mostly, long distance sailing is about getting by on very little sleep. Even single-handing
for a couple of days is very hard work and leaves me drained. Cycling is a massive energy burn - but
I get a damn good sleep every night.

Admittedly I'm not a sailor or even tried to do long distance cycling but in my humble opinion,
boxing has to rate near the top of physical endurance sports.

You can be the fittest person in the world but if you haven't got the heart and/or the determination
you'll pay in more ways than one!

Andy

"Ric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On the BBC Sport cycling website, Chris Boardman says : ""There is no doubt in my mind that the
> > Tour de France is the hardest sporting event there is. Put it this way, it must be the only one
> > where you need a haircut halfway through."
> >
> >
> > Maybe, but on that basis I reckon we lose out handsomely to Transglobal sailing (even Ellen MacA
> > must need another close headshave before she finally docks ?)
> >
> Well I'm a keen sailor and a keen cyclist, though nowhere near the levels
of
> TDF or Vendée Globe. But from my experience, long distance sailing
requires
> totally different stamina to long distance cycling. Mostly, long distance sailing is about getting
> by on very little sleep. Even single-handing for
a
> couple of days is very hard work and leaves me drained. Cycling is a
massive
> energy burn - but I get a damn good sleep every night.

[email protected] schreef ...
>
>
> Paul Saunders wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Cycling 200k's a day for 3 weeks or thereabouts including all the mountain passes to my mind is
> > almost beyond comprehension.
>
> That just about summarises my feelings; in fact, it /is/ beyond my comprehension. Mind-blowing. I
> really don't think there can be a sport which is as demanding.

Try RAAM: 2.922 miles in 8 days, 23 hrs, 36 seconds (Winner 2003 Allen Larsen) to around 12 days.
This event is rated above the Navy Seals' training in terms of "hardness". www.raceacrossamerica.org

--
Mvg, Marten

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On the BBC Sport cycling website, Chris Boardman says : ""There is no doubt in my mind that the
> > Tour de France is the hardest sporting event there is. Put it this way, it must be the only one
> > where you need a haircut halfway through."
> >
> >
> > Maybe, but on that basis I reckon we lose out handsomely to Transglobal sailing (even Ellen MacA
> > must need another close headshave before she finally docks ?)
>
> Hard to compare IMO. The cyclists get a decent bed and proper food every night as well as constant
> support during the day. The lone yachttie is completely at the mercy of the elements, often far
> from anyone else capable of providing practical assistance, has a poor sleep pattern and despite
> modern comms is very much alone.
>
> But they're all heroes in my book.
>
> Pete

I think Tim Moore says, in his revolutions book, that pro riders die ten years younger than the rest
of us. If that's true and i've always taken everything i read is pure fact then they get my vote. I
would like to know his source though. Sounds quite alarming.

Yes, I've also heard that cyclists die young as well. Apparently it's something to do with the theory that the heart is only able to beat a finite number of times and of course with a sport like cycling - long hours of slog, then one can understand why they die younger. But then do you really care if you live to whether you're 70 or 80??

>But then do you really care if you live to whether you're 70 or 80??

When you reach 69, that might become a very relevant question!!

Regards,

Pete.

I would personally say that the TDF- or any big tour for that matter- has got to be the toughest
sporting event, However this Thursday on National Geographic at 9pm you can watch "Hell on high
Water", a documentary about the 1998 Sydney- Hobart Yacht Race . I saw this programme late one night
on channel 3 or 4 a few months ago. Well worth watching, very sad but also inspiring.

Jan

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 01/07/03

"Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

>
>
>
> What criterion/criteria would you suggest ... ?

Not so sure about criterion but at least cycling sends you to bed fully worn out and all things
being equal. My other hobby however means standing around for 2 hours with 5 KGs of solid mahogany
around my neck in the shape of a Gibson ( no relation ) Les Paul guitar delivering the killer tone
and licks to anybody prepared to listen to it.

This means a back ache, a numb arm, and fingertips which feel like they are on fire. I should chop
off the arm in light of all the recent arm chopping of stories in the media and get famous. Playing
guitars should be a whole lot easier than bike riding but it isnt!

Bikes and guitars dont mix, the Trek does it physically and mentally and helps you sleep after them
long boring days stuck in the office, The LP does a similar job but localises the pain and keeps you
up till 4 in the morning trying to work out certain songs.

Naturally there is no one here that works on their bike until 4 am.... is there?....

Gibbo.

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

"John Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote

> Not so sure about criterion but at least cycling sends you to bed fully worn out and all things
> being equal. My other hobby however means standing around for 2 hours with 5 KGs of solid mahogany
> around my neck in the shape of a Gibson ( no relation ) Les Paul guitar delivering the killer tone
> and licks to anybody prepared to listen to it.
>
> This means a back ache, a numb arm, and fingertips which feel like they are on fire. I should chop
> off the arm in light of all the recent arm chopping of stories in the media and get famous.
> Playing guitars should be a whole lot easier than bike riding but it isnt!

Yes, when I used to go to gigs (when I was I lad) I was amazed the way people like Dave Gedge ("The
Wedding Present" anyone?) could play their guitar that hard for an hour and a half.

But from reading accounts of high altitude mountaineering I reckon that must be the toughest thing
you can do. I wouldn't claim to be able to cycle huge distances myself but don't most of them take
drugs to enable them to do it anyway? Wimps.

> Yes, when I used to go to gigs (when I was I lad) I was amazed the way people like Dave Gedge
> ("The Wedding Present" anyone?) could play their guitar that hard for an hour and a half.

Fantastic band.

Mark, loves "Bizarro"

"John Gibson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Alex Noel-Tod" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

> Not so sure about criterion but at least cycling sends you to bed fully worn out and all things
> being equal. My other hobby however means standing around for 2 hours with 5 KGs of solid mahogany
> around my neck in the shape of a Gibson ( no relation ) Les Paul guitar delivering the killer tone
> and licks to anybody prepared to listen to it.

Ah, well you want a nice Tele then, feather light and virtually plays itself (unlike my Shergold
bass which comes close to cycling for physical effort).

But seriously, a 100 mile event means spending something more than 5 hours averaging over 80% MHR,
pushing 95% at times. I can't imagine any other sport that will do that.

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, I've also heard that cyclists die young as well. Apparently it's something to do with the
> theory that the heart is only able to beat a finite number of times

Thats not really a theory. Popular science tosh more like.

"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Yes, I've also heard that cyclists die young as well.

The BMA haven't, they reckon regular cycl;ists live up to ten years longer than average.

> Apparently it's something to do with the theory that the heart is only able to beat a finite
> number of times

That can safely be described as Complete Bollocks :)

With pro riders it's far more likely to be the effect of all that gear the team doc pumps into them.

--
Guy
===

WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.com

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>"dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>
>
>>Yes, I've also heard that cyclists die young as well.
>>
>>
>
>The BMA haven't, they reckon regular cycl;ists live up to ten years longer than average.
>
>
>
>>Apparently it's something to do with the theory that the heart is only able to beat a finite
>>number of times
>>
>>
>
>That can safely be described as Complete Bollocks :)
>
Yes. My heart will beat an infinite number of times. Urm, maybe.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "dannyfrankszzz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Yes, I've also heard that cyclists die young as well.
>
> The BMA haven't, they reckon regular cycl;ists live up to ten years longer than average.

Average cyclists don't go up to and beyond their lactate threshold almost every day of the week.

What really impresses me thinking about the tour (and coincided with sitting about knackered after
running races - even though its more like audax on foot the way I do it). If you really really
push yourself for one day, you'll need to rest for days, even weeks. How much do TdF riders try to
keep off mega-performances on one particular day, so that they can get up the next day to do it
all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.