Does A Woman On A Bike Need A Weapon?

I think having at least pepper spray is smart if nothing else. It's light and small and easy to use.

Most people don't go looking for danger, but you never know who may be lurking. People aren't going to rob other people in a bad area, because those other people might be in a gang or broke as well. They'd move on to ritsier areas where someone would expect it to be safe, and therefore would not protect themselves. I'd always recommend at least having pepper spray, if not something more malicious. That ALONG WITH proper training. You can go to you local police department to ask about available self defense classes in the area or training sessions to show you how to use pepper spray or other items you might have on hand to defend yourself. All in all, you can never be too prepared.

I always make sure that I have a weapon of some sort with me. I generally carry my keys with my pepper spray on it, because it's easy to tuck in my arm band. I have also worn weighted gloves before to not only help with the grip on the handle, but also to have protected fists in the event I needed to take action. I am naturally paranoid so I am prepared for just about anything. I always map out where I'm going and I let someone know.

Be safe everyone :) And remember, not everyone is bad. But it's better to be safe than sorry!

I usually carry pepper spray with myself, but I don't know.

You can be faster in a bike, so If I have to choose between biking or walking at night, I always choose the bike.

I don't think I could carry a weapon on me while I am riding, but then again, you never know when you might need one. It seems the world is getting crazier by the minute and even my mother in law has bought a gun to protect herself. She's a nursing assistant so it's crazy. I wouldn't personally carry a gun or knife, but a small bat type object might be okay. I don't ride in remote areas and places that are just begging for criminals to target.

I think everyone should carry pepper spray. Just stick it in your pocket or some convenient place. That isn't for cyclist only. That should be something everyone should carry.

I like the idea of carrying pepper spray. You never know when it might come in handy. Pepper spray is a more acceptable type of self-defense weapon as well. It's less likely to get you into some unwanted trouble with the police. I live in the South so guns are the big thing here, but I am against guns, not anti-gun, but they're just not my thing.

I've always figured that if I need a weapon there, I shouldn't be in the area. Plus, do attackers really go for someone on a bike who can easily get away from them? Can't my bike be used as a weapon? HA.

I usually just bike in daylight. And if I have to bike at night time, I make sure that the places I go to are safe. But the reality is, even safe places can be dangerous nowadays if there are crime makers in the area. So a few tips that I can give you and that I also follow are:
  • Have a horn in your bike. This way, when you're in possible danger, you can just use it to attract attention.
  • Always have your lights in the bike checked and make sure they're working well.
  • Don't bike and text because you can get distracted and you might not notice that other people are around you.
  • Be wary of the situation. Don't be absentminded. Always look around and see if there's potential danger.
Aside from having a weapon, these are tips that can help you in riding your bike safely. For me, I just bring a pepper spray and a pocket knife with me. Although I don't know how useful they might really be. Thankfully, I didn't have to use them yet.

In the three times that a knife has been pulled on me, I was in so-called safe zones where weapons were against the law.

My approach is to ride in wealthy, Republican areas. Otherwise and if my permits allow, I carry.

In the three times that a knife has been pulled on me, I was in so-called safe zones where weapons were against the law.

My approach is to ride in wealthy, Republican areas. Otherwise and if my permits allow, I carry.
Your dreams are big. I wish I could ride at the same place.

Well, I carry a weapon every where I go. I'm active military so I can carry or conceal in the state of Georgia without a permit. I much rather be safe than sorry.

Lol, if given the circumstances. Then a man should need a weapon too, even the power of his fist. The default defence measure is to bring a pepper spray with you, or you can go road gang fighter mode and wield an iron chain long enough to swirl in the air and look badass.

Where I live, luckily, having a weapon isn't really necessary, whether on a bike or walking. I think I'd actually feel less safe with one than without one; I'm not sure how to use them properly, so I'd probably do better just trying to get away, and I'd have to actually stop and get off my bike to use one, which would make me feel much more vulnerable.

But if I were living in a bigger city or slightly more dangerous area, I'd probably change my mind. In that case I'd almost certainly buy pepper spray, which seems like the quickest and simplest "weapon" to me, and one that suits my reasons for using a weapon just fine: I'd be wanting to distract the dangerous person long enough for me to speed away again!

While I do not ride in isolated places, I still carry a weapon. I think it's important to stay protected and safe. At the very least, I would suggest taking pepper spray. They make tiny cute pepper spray containers. They can be really cute to carry actually. I would also recommend carrying a pocket knife. You can never really take too many precautions. Besides, even if you are not being the one attacked, if you see someone being attacked you will be prepared in someway to help.

My two cents: if you are a woman riding in an unsafe neighborhood, or one known for higher crime rates, do whatever you need to feel safe. It is a shame that people even have to worry about these issues, but that is the world we live in, so bad things will happen.

What would be your choice of weapon? Mace or other spray? Tazer? Whatever you decide, my advice would be to practice scenarios where you are on your bike and have to respond very quickly to an unexpected situation.

Be safe!

My two cents: if you are a woman riding in an unsafe neighborhood, or one known for higher crime rates, do whatever you need to feel safe. It is a shame that people even have to worry about these issues, but that is the world we live in, so bad things will happen.

What would be your choice of weapon? Mace or other spray? Tazer? Whatever you decide, my advice would be to practice scenarios where you are on your bike and have to respond very quickly to an unexpected situation.

Be safe!
I always carry pepper spray with me. That's definitely my choice weapon because it is so convenient. I never thought about carrying around a little tazer. But that might be a good idea. I have an alarm that if you pull the string it sounds really loud to alert people that something is wrong. I'm always afraid that I night accidentally pull it though.

Well, the Constitution of the United States treats keeping and bearing a weapon as a God-given right. Of course, we talk about the legally obtained one. Women got their full rights a century ago. So, they are eligible for that.

Oh! And a whistle--a very shrill one.

Also, if you are in a scary situation or one in which you might be attacked or an attack is imminent, it is always better to yell "Fire!" at the top of your lungs.......because people might respond to a Fire threat and call 911 or for emergency help much quicker than if they think they're getting in the middle of a domestic situation. These days, it's hard to tell what is happening---"is it a husband? or a stranger that's beating that woman up? Maybe we shouldn't get involved."

When really, people shouldn't have to worry about harm to themselves when helping a stranger. But that is the world we live in.