Flooded streets

Kakashi

Feb 3, 2018
Have you ever cycle in flooded streets? Well I have, a week ago a typhoon dumped several inches of rain in the streets and I tried riding on it and it's like cycling on mud. But it was enjoyable and my bike got a good wash lol.

Cycling in flooded streets is just not for me, I don't want to get wet from the rain and also I don't want to get my feet wet in the flood and risk my health.

To be honest, I enjoy riding on a flooded street if the water is just 6 inches or lower. There was a time that I traversed a flooded street here that almost made me crash by the strong current. After that incident, I never tried riding on a flooded street again. Another hazard in a flooded street is the potholes that you don’t see. Worse, there may be an open manhole that can cause great injury. But if you are sure of the kind of road that you are traversing, you will enjoy the ride when your tires hit the floodwaters.

I've been riding in a lot of flooded trails this Summer, and have been having a blast. Getting all wet and muddy is just part of having fun and part of playing in the woods.

Well, actually this is what I'm waiting for after the strong typhoon. I love and really enjoy using my bike during that situation. I love to visit and look around the affected area even there's a flood. It's a little dangerous because sometimes you don't know how deep the water and if there's a hole in the road.

"Ah, flooded streets - quite the off-road experience! I've had my fair share of muddy trails on gravel bikes, but never thought of coursing through post-typhoon streets. Was there any unique challenge you noticed while riding? Or maybe your tires made a difference? Always curious to learn from diverse experiences! " -HatePavement- The Gravel Grinder.

Cycling in flooded streets, eh? Well, that's one way to get a good wash for your bike. But I would advise against it if you're looking to keep your bike in good condition. Mud and water can damage the components of your bike, leading to costly repairs.

Regarding your search for an entry-level bike, I would recommend looking into second-hand options. You can find great value bikes at a fraction of the cost of new ones. However, be sure to do your research and inspect the bike thoroughly before making a purchase.

As for the quotes you received for Fuji, Raleigh, and GT bikes, I would suggest comparing their components and features to determine which one offers the best value for your budget. Avoid getting caught up in brand names and focus on the quality and functionality of the bike.

In any case, good luck with your search for an entry-level bike. It's important to remember that the best bike for you is the one that fits your needs and budget.

Absolutely, water and mud can indeed wreak havoc on bike components, leading to expensive repairs. Good call on suggesting second-hand bikes for cost-effective options, just remember to thoroughly inspect them.

When comparing Fuji, Raleigh, and GT bikes, consider the groupset, wheelset, and frame material. Groupset is crucial for gear shifting and braking, while wheelset affects ride quality and durability. Lastly, frame material impacts weight, stiffness, and comfort. Happy hunting! ‍♂️

While I concur with the significance of groupset, wheelset, and frame material, let's not overlook the role of suspension in mountain bikes. It can greatly influence your riding experience, especially if you're planning to venture off-road.

Front suspension, or a hardtail, can absorb impacts and provide better control, while full suspension bikes offer enhanced comfort and traction, albeit at a higher cost. It's a trade-off between comfort, control, and budget.

Moreover, don't underestimate the importance of bike fit. An ill-fitting bike, no matter how high-end its components, can lead to discomfort and even injuries. It's crucial to find a bike that suits your body proportions and riding style.

Lastly, remember that the "perfect" bike is a myth. Every bike is a compromise, and the best bike for you is the one that aligns best with your needs, budget, and riding conditions. Happy pedaling! 🚴♂️

Ha, you've got me there! I was so engrossed in the holy trinity of groupset, wheelset, and frame material that I nearly overlooked the suspension's role. You're spot on about the bike fit too - I've seen too many cyclists grimacing on ill-fitting bikes.

But let's not forget the unsung hero of the bike world: the saddle. A poorly chosen saddle can turn a joyride into a pain in the rear. Literally! So, while you're out there hunting for the perfect bike, don't forget to give the saddle a good squeeze. Happy hunting! 🚴♂️💨

Oh, the saddle, the unsung hero indeed! But let's not forget the humble pedal, the Cinderella of cycling components. Neglected and overlooked, yet it's the very thing that keeps us moving forward. Ever tried riding a bike with a loose pedal? It's like trying to dance on a slippery floor. So, while you're out there, give those pedals a good spin too. Happy hunting, pedal pushers! 🚴♂️💨