Highly Visible Jersey

mdecker

Jun 1, 2010
Guys,

Need your help. Have been searching far and wide concerning jerseys that are highly visible (yellow, orange, lime green - fluorescent). I am not looking for a t-shirt but a cycling jersey with 2 to 3 pockets in the back, elasticized arm cuffs, full front zipper or half zipper for a XXL / XXXL kind of guy. Preferably solid print. Any help is greatly appreciated and welcome all suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help!

Michael

Mister2pi,
Thank you very much. Exactly what I was looking for. Would like to find the other 2 colors as well. Any ideas? Happy travels....

Mister2pi,

You have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Truly appreciate the help! Definitely going to purchase the Pearl products and see how they fit. Appreciate your opinion and the info....be safe out there.

You too...good luck.

BTW, check the PI website and look at the logos near the jerseys. I'm 6'3" and weigh 240 (I'm about 20 pounds overweight based on my fitness days back in college...just for reference in making my next point) and the jerseys that are labeled as "Form Fit" are waaaay too snug. The ones labeled "Semi Form" are just right.

Know this might be a little late in the thread - but there is a new jersey highly visible jersey now available. I designed this jersey after a "heinous" accident that killed a bicyclist in Greensboro convinced me I had to do something to help fellow cyclists. I was fed up with the 'never-saw-him' defense after some jerk has injured or killed a cyclist. So I decided to develop the brightest possible cycling jersey to make riders more visible and to make that excuse a lot more difficult. They are sublimation printed so the fluorescent colors will retain their brightness for the life of the jersey. Also the fluorescence makes a dramatic difference in visibility, particularly in fading light or shade. The colors are orange, lime and yellow. The yellow is the brightest yellow on a color wheel, the orange is the color the armed forces chose for life rafts in World War II so their occupants could be spotted from the air, and the lime is so visible that it is now being used on fire trucks and related equipment. You can purchase one at www.seemewear.com for $49.95 shipping included, and can be purchased only online. The profits go to the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy "to help create safer places to bike."

Earle Bower
Blog: www.seemebikesafety.com

In a long sleeve this should get you noticed
http://www.elevengear.com/trafficmaster.html

goinig for short sleeve this is probably the most visible shirt I've ever seen (any more and it would need a containment vessel)
http://www.elevengear.com/coralsnake.html

Either of these, and your obituary WILL NOT read "I didn't see him"/

The issue isn't visibility, it's the fact that the modern automobile has thousands of different devices that compete with the road for the drivers attention, and if the driver is looking at one of the 47 tiny buttons on the radio or worried about the conversation on the cell phone, or eating a McPukes or lighting a cancer stick, you could be covered in 50KW LEDs, and they still would not see you. Mind you a good jacket can help, a regular jersey with a construction vest over it, is probably more helpful though, drivers look for those.

Reactions: castiron
Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt .

The issue isn't visibility, it's the fact that the modern automobile has thousands of different devices that compete with the road for the drivers attention, and if the driver is looking at one of the 47 tiny buttons on the radio or worried about the conversation on the cell phone, or eating a McPukes or lighting a cancer stick, you could be covered in 50KW LEDs, and they still would not see you. Mind you a good jacket can help, a regular jersey with a construction vest over it, is probably more helpful though, drivers look for those.
That's true--to some extent. Every driver, though, has a radius of vision, and one of awareness. Wearing higher visibility gear will mean that the (distracted) driver has a greater opportunity to notice you because you will be at a greater distance when they are first able to see you, whether they actually do see you or not.

Jason

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

That's true--to some extent. Every driver, though, has a radius of vision, and one of awareness. Wearing higher visibility gear will mean that the (distracted) driver has a greater opportunity to notice you because you will be at a greater distance when they are first able to see you, whether they actually do see you or not.

Jason
One of the mantras of defensive driving is to always assume that if the other driver has the opportunity to do something stupid, they will, and to act accordingly, a good example is at an intersection, where the other direction has a stop sign, if a car is approaching, and can hit you, prepare to stop, if they stop then fine, if they don't you stop. Another is to leave a full car length between you and the car ahead, if you get rear ended, then you don't hit the car ahead of you. For a cyclist, you should always assume that you are invisible to drivers, and your always need to have an escape plan in place. If you need that escape plan, only once, then it's worth it.