Introductions

Hello,

My name is Ted and I've picked back up riding after a number of years away from it. I'm 5'11 and around 340#. I've dropped some weight and inches since I started again in may but I do not know how much. I do know my clothes fit a heck of a lot better and some stuff that didn't fit now does.

I've been riding 3-4 times a week anywhere from 5-20 miles at a time. I also use my bike for any short trip that I can: shopping, dry cleaning pick up, etc. I figure it's a bit healthier for me and it does save on gas.

My goals are mostly to try to enjoy the riding and lose some weight. I've done both that.

Ted

Wlfdg said:
We have our own sub-forum :cool:

Who are you? My name is Clemente

Where are you? 43rd State

How big are you? Currently 102k (224lbs); on my way down from 118k (260lbs) and target weight is 95k (210lbs) before I start training.

What do you ride? I have a 1996 Cannondale Super V 1000

How do you ride? Currently I only commute but it's 8 miles/35 mins each way and I'm looking extend it to 10+ miles/1 hr rides.

What are your goals? My short-term goal is to get in shape via "Preparing For Denali" training. I have an old knee injury (Torn medial meniscus) that the othro doc. says running is out so I dug out my mountain bike and started my cardio/fat-burning exercise routine.

I got into mountaineering 3 years ago and I want to summit Mt Rainier and Denali but being out of shape I can't even get to the approach :eek: !! I figured that by this time next year I'll be down to approx. 88k (195lbs) after the 6 months Denali training and regular cycling routine. Will I have the money to actually do the summits? Probably not, but I'll be in the best shape in the mean time :D !!

:cool:

Who are you? Brad, BHOFM, Bald Headed Old Fat Man

Where are you? NW Arkansas USA

How big are you? 230

What do you ride? Wal Mart special, mountain bike $88.:rolleyes:

How do you ride? City bike trails. about seven miles total Several miles of road,
I ride early so there's not much traffic. A half mile track at the community center.

What are your goals? Feel better, be able to mow the yard in one day.

In May of 2008 I weighed 318 and in June 2008 I had a mild heart episode.
Blood pressure was fine, I just over did it in the yard on a hot day.
Have been eating right and three months ago I bought my bike.
I was about 245 then. I started doing three to five miles and have worked
my way up to twenty plus a day with top of thirty five and several of thirty three
and thirty four. most days are twenty three to twenty six.
I have over 1300 miles on the bike now.

I mowed the yard, raked and trimmed in under three hours last time.

I feel better. I still have a ways to go. I want to be under 200lbs and do
forty plus miles without collapsing.

BTW, we have great bike trails here.

birdco.jpg

This is a bad spot, there is a bakery just to the right and in the mornings you
have to smell the cinnamon rolls baking.

hellp.jpg

Hi I am WILD

I am from the Swamps of South Jersey

I am 65 going on 66 years old

I ride a Fuji Absolute 1.0 2010

I am 5'9"

I am 232# today

I try to ride just about every day 25 miles some days 40 some 36 and some just 15 or so

Who are you?

I am a green smudge.

Where are you?

DFW, TX

How big are you?

Around 220lbs.

What do you ride?

Cheap $150 Schwinn Gateway

How do you ride?

Not sure what this means as I'm pretty new, but I normally do mid afternoon 5-10mi rides on local city paths.

What are your goals?

It would be nice to lose some weight, but I'm more concerned about just being in better overall shape.

Welcome Smudge, be sure and join in the challenge, add your miles to the total.

How do you handle ten miles in the mid day heat:p?? I ride early in the am., like 3am!:D

Your bike cost twice what mind did.

Wlfdg said:

Who are you? Sam

Where are you? Huntsville, Al.

How big are you? Too damn big!!! 5'10" 300lbs. I am fairly atheletic even at this weight. I long distance hike and ride regularly

What do you ride? Volea Team (recumbent)

How do you ride? Road, slow and steady

What are your goals? Short term...250lbs...long term I would like to lose my clydesdale status!!!

Wlfdg said:

Who are you? j-hoss aka jerome 46yo

Where are you? tiline kentucky

How big are you? 300 pounds :eek:

What do you ride? trek 1.2 and trek fx 7.2

How do you ride? back roads and park areas usually alone:p

What are your goals?
225lb riding century's:D

BHOFM said:
Welcome Smudge, be sure and join in the challenge, add your miles to the total.

How do you handle ten miles in the mid day heat:p?? I ride early in the am., like 3am!:D

Your bike cost twice what mind did.

I will!

I handle it alright, drink lots of water before, during and after. I like to go during that time because there's nobody else out there. :D

AGreenSmudge said:
I will!

I handle it alright, drink lots of water before, during and after. I like to go during that time because there's nobody else out there. :D

Trust me, there is no one at 3am either!!:D:D:D

BHOFM said:

Same here.

I ride mostly at night just to keep away from the traffic.

Who are you?

My name is Graham I am a long time mtb'er but havent been riding much over the past few years.

Where are you?

I live in the Kansas City area, my wife and I just purchased our first home in January about 20 miles outside of the KC metro area in Gardner, KS.

How big are you?

Right now I am weighing in around 270-275 depending on the day, lol.

What do you ride?

I currently only have one of my rides in ridable condition and it is a GT Zaskar that I built just after I graduated from HS. So its a bit outdated but still rides just as sweet as ever. I love the frame as it is absolutely bomb proof and I have given it plenty of punishment over the years. It was the last model year that Gary Turner was actually doing all the handwelding on the Zaskars and I got it on close out. I was extremely stoked at the time!
How do you ride?

What are your goals?

My goals are to get back to enjoying the trails and the outdoors. I have been away from cycling for a few years and miss it dearly. I also have let my fitness fall by the wayside which was something I was always very much on top of being a multi sport athlete through HS and college as well as my riding. I am hoping to get back down to my normal fit and in shape weight while enjoying riding as a way to help me towards that goal and just enjoying one of my hobbies that I lost touch with.

BHOFM said:
Trust me, there is no one at 3am either!!:D:D:D
Not counting the drunks who finally managed to get their keys in the ignition...:eek: *

* - this joke may or may not work depending on what bar time is in your area. It's perfect for the 2 am weekdays/2:30 am weeknights Wisconsin law.

Who are you? My name is Aaron

Where are you? I live in Las Vegas Nevada

How big are you? About 5'11" @ 310lbs.

What do you ride? I have a GIANT OCR 3, a Mongoose MGX d50i, and I just got a 2010 TREK 4300 three days ago courtesy of the wife as an early birthday gift (loving it BTW)!!

How do you ride? Mostly road riding but plan to tackle some off roading fun too!

What are your goals? I frequent the gym and ride often but I eat **** too much, and my big downfall is eating it late at night! I really need to break this habit! I "THINK" I feel fine but something tells me I should be feeling even better! I want to be in the low 200s, I also ride a motorcycle and know it will make me a better rider on all my two wheeled vehicles!

Chavez said:
Not counting the drunks who finally managed to get their keys in the ignition...:eek: *

* - this joke may or may not work depending on what bar time is in your area. It's perfect for the 2 am weekdays/2:30 am weeknights Wisconsin law.

Not a problem, dry county! very low DUI count.

Crocosis said:

Who are you? My name is Aaron

Where are you? I live in Las Vegas Nevada

How big are you? About 5'11" @ 310lbs.

What do you ride? I have a GIANT OCR 3, a Mongoose MGX d50i, and I just got a 2010 TREK 4300 three days ago courtesy of the wife as an early birthday gift (loving it BTW)!!

How do you ride? Mostly road riding but plan to tackle some off roading fun too!

What are your goals? I frequent the gym and ride often but I eat **** too much, and my big downfall is eating it late at night! I really need to break this habit! I "THINK" I feel fine but something tells me I should be feeling even better! I want to be in the low 200s, I also ride a motorcycle and know it will make me a better rider on all my two wheeled vehicles!

I am going to speak frankly!! You are only fooling your self! I was 318 and now
220! I kept telling myself I felt fine, right up to the heart attack! Cut down on
the grub, ride a regular schedule.

Live long and prosper! Please!

I totally agree with you!! I know if I lose some of the weight I will be much better off! Believe it or not most people don't believe me when I tell them my weight, I said I "THINK" I feel fine sarcastically I know my body wants to feel even better!
I will feel better when I can go shirtless in public with no fear of indecent exposure lol, in all seriousness it's all about a lifestyle change! Congrats on your succcess, that is inspiration indeed!!

Hello, my name is Chris, I live in Jacksonville, N.C. I used to ride a ton when I was a kid up until I graduated high school, but then I stopped. Now I'm 43 and trying to get back into it, along with my wife who's excited about riding now too. I'm a short little dude at 5' 6", but I'm just over 200 lbs so I have quite the gut to lose. We both have a mountain bike and a road bike. I have a Trek 3700 mountain bike I bought some years ago and have road erratically since then. My wife had a GT mountain bike but hated it and never road. We've been looking around a bit at the trails and bike paths since we moved here a few months ago and then ran across a Trek 2000 road bike at a LBS that my wife fell in love with. She's been riding it quite a bit since we bought it so I had to go out and get my own road bike, I got a Canondale Caad 8 6. Since then she got more interested in the mountain bikes too so we got her a new Trek 4300 that she also likes so hopefully we'll be riding together more.