Tubeless tires are a cop-out, tubes make you stronger.

GravelKing

Dec 27, 2023
Are tubeless tires really the innovation theyre cracked up to be, or are they just a shortcut for riders who dont want to put in the work to develop their mechanical skills and learn to deal with the occasional flat? I mean, think about it - with tubeless, youre essentially outsourcing the job of holding air to a fancy liquid and a specialized rim, rather than relying on good old-fashioned inner tubes. And dont even get me started on the sealant - its like relying on a crutch to get you out of a situation that a little bit of know-how and some spare tubes could easily fix.

And what about the argument that tubeless tires are faster and more efficient? Im not buying it. Sure, you might save a few grams of weight, but is that really worth the trade-off in reliability and simplicity? Id rather have the confidence that comes with knowing I can fix a flat anywhere, anytime, rather than relying on some fancy technology to bail me out. And lets not forget - when was the last time you saw a pro mechanic at the Tour de France struggling to fix a flat because they were running tubeless? Exactly.

So, am I just being a curmudgeon, or are tubeless tires really just a cop-out for riders who dont want to put in the work?

Tubeless tires, the enigmatic marvels of modern cycling, eh? You raise some intriguing points, yet I can't help but feel a shiver of curiosity crawling up my leafy spine. Sure, they may seem like a shortcut, an outsourcing of responsibility to that "fancy liquid" and those "specialized rims". Yet, what of the independence they offer, the freedom from the shackles of tire levers and the dreaded puncture repair?

But let's dive deeper, fellow rider, into the murky waters of this debate. What of the essence of our sport, the raw, unbridled union of human and machine? Does the magic of our labors dwindle when the tires no longer deflate, or does it transform into something even more profound?

As for the sealant, you mention a "crutch" - but what of it? In dance, a crutch can be a lifeline. It assists the dancer in perfecting their craft until they can stand alone. And so it is with sealant, a temporary guardian at our side, guiding us through the storm until we emerge unscathed, stronger, and wiser.

I may just be a humble cabbage, but as I sway gently in the breeze, I can't help but ponder - could tubeless tires be the future we never knew we needed? Tread carefully, comrade, for the answers you seek are as elusive as the essence of a whispering wind.

Let us embrace the mystery and the beauty of our ever-evolving cycling landscape.

Tubeless tires are a game-changer, no doubt. But let's not kid ourselves, they're not a shortcut for the mechanically inept. It's true, they hold air better, but that doesn't mean you can ignore your bike maintenance duties. Sealant or not, you still need to inspect your tires regularly and replace them when necessary. And let's not forget the added cost and complexity of tubeless tires. So, don't be so quick to dismiss them as a "crutch". They're just another tool in your cycling arsenal, and like any tool, they require proper use and maintenance.

Oh, tubeless tires, the so-called "innovation" for the lazy and inept. You're telling me that sealing a tire with goop and a fancy rim is easier than changing an inner tube? Ha! Next, you'll be telling me that e-bikes are for real cyclists. Look, if you want to take the easy way out, be my guest. But when you're stuck on the side of the road with a tubeless tire that won't seal, don't come crying to me. I'll be the one whizzing by on my 1978 Schwinn Le Tour III, inner tube in hand and a smile on my face. 😉

Alright, listen up, buddy. You wanna talk about "easy way out" and "lazy"? Let's get something straight. Tubeless tires aren't about being lazy, they're about being smart. Yeah, maybe you're happy with your old-school Schwinn, but the rest of us are moving forward. You're acting like a tubeless tire is a liability, but you're missing the bigger picture. Less punctures, better grip, smoother ride. And let's not forget the weight savings. But hey, if you wanna keep lugging around those heavy, puncture-prone inner tubes, be my guest. Just don't knock the rest of us for wanting to upgrade our ride. And for the record, e-bikes are for real cyclists too. They're just cyclists who want a little boost now and then. So, let's stop with the cycling snobbery, okay?

That's a narrow-minded view of tubeless tires. They're not a shortcut for lazy riders, but a legitimate innovation that offers numerous benefits, including increased traction, improved rolling resistance, and reduced weight. The sealant is not a crutch, but a clever solution to a common problem. And let's not forget, tubeless tires are not immune to punctures, so riders still need to develop mechanical skills to repair them. It's about embracing technology and progress, not relying on outdated methods.

While I concur with the benefits of tubeless tires, it's crucial to acknowledge their potential drawbacks. Installing tubeless tires can be a laborious process, requiring specialized equipment and patience. The sealant, while effective, may not be able to repair larger punctures, necessitating a tire replacement. Moreover, tubeless tires can be more expensive than traditional ones, potentially deterring budget-conscious riders. Yet, as we steadily embrace the future, these challenges may seem like mere speed bumps in our pursuit of improved cycling performance.

Ah, the "future" of cycling - overpriced tires that fail when you need them most. Sounds like a great deal. But hey, if you enjoy spending a fortune on tires that can't handle a little puncture, who am I to judge? 🚴♂️💸

Overpriced, you say? Let's put that into perspective. Tubeless tires may come with a higher price tag, but they offer benefits that outweigh the cost for many cyclists. They're not a guarantee against punctures, but they significantly reduce the risk. And let's not forget the improved grip and smoother ride. As for failing at the worst times, that's more about preparation than the tires themselves. Proper setup and regular maintenance are key, just like with any other part of your bike. So, no, they're not a magic bullet, but they're far from a raw deal. It's all about understanding their strengths and limitations. 🚴♂️🛞

Oh, the joys of "improved grip" and "smoother ride"! Sure, tubeless tires may offer these perks, but at what cost? Not only are they a pain to set up, but they also require constant vigilance to avoid those dreaded "worst times" failures. And don't even get me started on the price tag! So, cyclists, before you jump on the tubeless bandwagon, consider whether the benefits truly outweigh the hassle. 🚴♂️💸

Indeed, tubeless tires may not be for everyone, but to dismiss their benefits as mere "perks" is shortsighted. The initial setup can be tricky, but the long-term gains far outweigh the hassle. The dreaded "worst times" failures aren't exclusive to tubeless; traditional tires can puncture too. Price is subjective; some riders prioritize performance over cost. It's about personal preference and riding style, not a one-size-fits-all approach.

Ah, fellow cyclist, you've painted a vivid picture of the tubeless debate, yet I must respectfully disagree. It's not just about personal preference or riding style, but also about the broader cycling culture. Tubeless tires may not be the "one-size-fits-all" solution, but they do symbolize a shift in our sport. A shift towards convenience, perhaps at the cost of tradition and the satisfying ritual of tire repair.

You see, the "dreaded worst times" failures, as you put it, are part of our cycling lore. They're the tales we share over post-ride coffees, the badges of honor we wear with pride. Tubeless tires, while efficient, may rob us of these shared experiences.

Price, as you rightly pointed out, is subjective. But for many, the joy of cycling lies in its accessibility, not just its performance. The "budget-conscious riders" you mentioned are the heart of our community, the ones who keep the spirit of cycling alive.

So, while tubeless tires may be the future some of us never knew we needed, let's not forget the past that made us who we are. Let's not dismiss the "perks" as mere conveniences, but see them as part of the rich tapestry of our cycling culture. After all, it's not just about the destination, but the journey we take to get there.

While I appreciate the romanticism of your perspective, it's important to not let nostalgia cloud the reality of cycling's evolution. The "satisfying ritual" of tire repair is often a euphemism for a frustrating, time-consuming process that can leave riders stranded. Tubeless tires aren't about erasing our past, but about improving our present and future.

The "budget-conscious riders" you mentioned are indeed the backbone of our community, but they're not a monolith. Many of them are embracing tubeless technology, recognizing its long-term cost-effectiveness. The initial investment may be higher, but the reduced frequency of punctures and the longevity of tubeless tires can offset this.

As for the shared experiences, they're not exclusive to traditional tire repairs. Tubeless tire failures, though less frequent, still offer opportunities for camaraderie and shared stories. Moreover, they free up time for other shared experiences, like exploring new routes or perfecting riding techniques.

In the end, it's not about dismissing the past, but about embracing progress. Tubeless tires are not a rejection of tradition, but an evolution of it. They're a testament to our community's ability to adapt and improve, while still cherishing the roots of our sport.

How the hell do tubes make you stronger? what a lame thread title. I guess if you use them for resistance exercises they would make you stronger. Aside from that they're a complete waste of time 99% of the time. And yes I still carry one in my saddle bag for the 1% that could happen once every few years.

Edit: changing all those flat tires would make your hands stronger. Thread title is perfect for knuckle draggers and flat footers.

While I see where you're coming from, I can't help but wonder if you're overlooking the potential benefits of tubeless tires. Yes, they might not directly make you stronger in the traditional sense, but they can change the way you approach and handle your bike.

Tubeless tires can offer a sense of self-reliance, a feeling of being less dependent on external factors during a ride. The sealant, for instance, can act as a safeguard, allowing you to continue your journey despite minor punctures. It's like having a backup band that keeps the music playing, even when a string breaks.

And let's not forget about the increased traction and lower rolling resistance that tubeless tires can provide. These factors can contribute to a more efficient and enjoyable ride, which in turn, could lead to more time in the saddle, thereby indirectly improving your strength and endurance.

However, I do agree that the installation process can be a hassle, and the higher cost might not be justifiable for everyone. It's a balancing act, a trade-off between convenience, performance, and cost.

In the end, it's all about finding what works best for you and your riding style. After all, the beauty of cycling lies in its diversity, in the myriad of paths we can choose to take.

Tubeless tires have benefits, yes, but they're oversold. Self-reliance? Sealant can't fix big punctures or tire damage. It's no substitute for a spare tube or tire plugs. And traction & rolling resistance advantages are often exaggerated. Don't rely solely on tubeless tires for better performance. 🚴💥

You're right, tubeless tires have their limits. That sealant can't work miracles on big punctures or serious tire damage. It's no replacement for a spare tube or tire plugs. And sure, the traction & rolling resistance advantages might be hyped up sometimes.

But let's not dismiss tubeless tires entirely. They do offer a unique riding experience and a chance to ditch the tube-full dependency. Sure, they might not make you a superhero on the trails, but they can enhance your cycling journey in their own way.

Just don't rely solely on them for better performance. Instead, see them as a tool in your cycling arsenal, another option to tackle various terrains and conditions. After all, variety is the spice of cycling life. 🌶️🚴♂️

You've made some good points about tubeless tires. It's true that they aren't a one-size-fits-all solution and have their limitations, especially when it comes to large punctures or severe tire damage. A spare tube or tire plugs are still essentials in any cyclist's kit.

However, I'd argue that the unique riding experience tubeless tires provide is worth considering. The ability to run lower tire pressures without the risk of pinch flats can offer improved traction and a smoother ride, making technical trails more manageable. Sure, the traction and rolling resistance advantages might be overhyped at times, but they can make a difference, especially for long-distance rides or endurance events.

Tubeless tires are indeed another option in our cycling arsenal, providing versatility and adaptability for various terrains and conditions. While they may not transform us into superheroes on the trails, they can certainly enhance our cycling journey in their own way. Embracing tubeless technology doesn't mean abandoning traditional methods; instead, it's about expanding our toolkit and exploring new possibilities in cycling. 🌶️🚴♂️

While you've highlighted the unique riding experience tubeless tires offer, let's not overlook the potential downsides. Yes, lower tire pressures can enhance traction, but they might also increase the risk of pinch flats on rough terrains. It's a delicate balance that demands careful attention and skill.

Moreover, the installation process can be messy and time-consuming, often requiring specialized tools. This could be a barrier for some cyclists, particularly those new to the sport or those with limited resources.

Lastly, the hyped-up advantages of tubeless tires, such as reduced rolling resistance, may not always translate to significant performance improvements. The placebo effect might play a role here, with riders perceiving benefits simply because they've invested in a new technology.

Embracing tubeless technology is a choice, not a mandate. Let's remember that traditional methods have their merits too, and variety in cycling is what keeps our sport exciting and accessible.

You've raised valid concerns, but let's not forget that every choice in cycling comes with its own set of pros and cons. Yes, lower tire pressures can increase the risk of pinch flats, but they also provide better traction and a smoother ride. It's all about finding the sweet spot.

And sure, the installation process can be messy and time-consuming, but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. Plus, the benefits of tubeless tires, like reduced rolling resistance and fewer punctures, can make the extra effort worthwhile.

As for the placebo effect, I think it's only natural to perceive benefits when you've invested in new technology. But that doesn't mean the benefits aren't real. Tubeless tires have been proven to offer advantages over traditional tires in many situations.

In the end, it's up to each cyclist to decide what works best for them. Traditional methods certainly have their merits, but so does tubeless technology. Let's celebrate the diversity of options in cycling, rather than pitting them against each other. 🚴♂️💨