bikes for tall people

Togigo

Guest
I know they make large frames for for tall people, but on a cruiser style and on 20'' wheeled bikes
, the only option they give you is to raise the seat post. But I think to be comfortable the seat
not only has to go up but back a little, any ideas?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

>I know they make large frames for for tall people, but on a cruiser style and on 20'' wheeled bikes
>, the only option they give you is to raise the seat post. But I think to be comfortable the seat
>not only has to go up but back a little, any ideas?

Custom built.

Why do you want such a bike?

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
>I know they make large frames for for tall people, but on a cruiser style and on 20'' wheeled bikes
>, the only option they give you is to raise the seat post. But I think to be comfortable the seat
>not only has to go up but back a little, any ideas?

Are you talking about 20" and 24" wheel BMX frames? There is actually a lot of variation in top-tube
length in those frames because they are made in different versions for everyone from a 6-year old
kid to 6'+ tall adult. You can also get longer stems and seatposts with significant set-back.

A lay-back style BMX seatpost can also be used in some beach-cruiser style frames as well, depending
on the diameter.

--Paul

RE/
>I know they make large frames for for tall people,

Production frames? I wish.

A Jamis rep once told me that the chances for a proper fit drop off sharply once somebody's height
gets over 6'3" - that no mass-produced line of bikes has anything designed for taller people.

I took that here and posted it - and the next day somebody came back that they were 6'5" or 6'6" and
had no problem at all finding a production bike to fit.

My own experience has been to the contrary - especially the part about having to move the saddle
backwards as well as up.

-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Rivendell offers frames for taller riders both in their production lines (Atlantis, Rambouillet,
Romulus and Redwood, especially the latter) as well as their custom frames.

Cannondale also offers larger size road frames. Ritchey's road frame is available in a 62 cm size.

I'm 6'4" and have never had a lot of trouble getting frames tall enough, although there has tended
to be other fit problems.

Oh man, you've got to see our "Menotomy High Tide". It's a 26" cruiser with giant ape hangers and a
banana seat. http://oldroads.com/rs_hightide.html

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

>I know they make large frames for for tall people, but on a cruiser style and on 20'' wheeled bikes
>, the only option they give you is to raise the seat post. But I think to be comfortable the seat
>not only has to go up but back a little, any ideas?
>

>Why do you want such a bike?

People are interested in all kinds of bicycles - just like cars, boats or anything else. And some
styles are better suited for certain tasks than others.

You wouldn't take your road bike down a mountain trail right? And you wouldn't take your mountain
bike on a nice slow cruise on the boardwalk or the bike trail or a pub crawl - you'd prolly rather
something cool and slow like a cruiser or a musclebike or a lowrider!

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

I'll tell you why I would like such a bike ,because I like to collect them and I am tall and don't
want to be limited to just a few styles that I can ride.