Re: Old TA crank - which puller needed ?

Jay Beattie

Guest
"Retro Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Ok, old dogs... dig into your memory:
>
> Do the vintage TA cranks (1970's) use a Stronglight type/thread

puller
> or a more standard (aka modern) puller ?

Well, Retro Bob (any relationship to Sideshow Bob?), as I was
looking for my old Stronglight puller, I happened across an old
T.A. puller, too. It is a compact model with a short tool body
and a threaded bolt through the center -- the standard consumer
tool from the late '70s early 80s. I think it is a 23mm, since I
already had a 22mm Campagnolo tool and would not have bought a
duplicate. Is this something you need? If so, I am having a
puller sale at $10 a pop shipping included. I also have a 1976
Dura Ace puller that actually came with the crank. Imagine that,
getting a real puller with the crank (and not just a flakey
chainring bolt wrench). Those were the good old days! -- Jay
Beattie.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:01:51 GMT, Retro Bob
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:18:18 -0700, "Jay Beattie"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Well, Retro Bob (any relationship to Sideshow Bob?), as I was
>>looking for my old Stronglight puller, I happened across an old
>>T.A. puller, too. It is a compact model with a short tool body
>>and a threaded bolt through the center -- the standard consumer
>>tool from the late '70s early 80s. I think it is a 23mm, since I
>>already had a 22mm Campagnolo tool and would not have bought a
>>duplicate. Is this something you need? If so, I am having a
>>puller sale at $10 a pop shipping included. I also have a 1976
>>Dura Ace puller that actually came with the crank. Imagine that,
>>getting a real puller with the crank (and not just a flakey
>>chainring bolt wrench). Those were the good old days! -- Jay
>>Beattie.
>>

>Offer accepted via email!
>
>... and, er, no... not enough hair to put the bone in there.
>I can do a great crusty impersonation though, but not through
>a newsgroup.
>
>Bob

Dear Bob,

Dear God!

The elegantly coiffed Sideshow Bob has no bone in his hair!

http://www.16bit.com/simsidbob.asp

You're thinking of Sideshow Mel:

http://www.16bit.com/simsidmel.asp

I know this is petty, but without eternal vigilance, we'll
have Hamlet babbling "get thee to a nunnery" while
strangling Desdemona, with Cordelia standing next in line.

Carl Fogel

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:05:49 GMT, Retro Bob
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:15:21 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I know this is petty, but without eternal vigilance, we'll
>>have Hamlet babbling "get thee to a nunnery" while
>>strangling Desdemona, with Cordelia standing next in line.

><voice=sideshowBob>
>
>Oh, good heavens, deary me. Please, send my apologies to everyone
>concerned. It's just all this pressure of writing and posting,
>writing and posting, more writing and posting. Perhaps I should hire
>a young assistant to help me in my literary affairs.
>
></voice>

Dear Bob,

There's a well-known and far-from-shy poster who shares your
passion for Gilbert and Sullivan, but he'll be too busy to
assist you until--well, why not let him tell it?

| I ll be appearing in: |
| Gilbert & Sullivan's Iolanthe at M.I.T. |
| November 12, 13, 14 and 18, 19, 20, 21 |
| http://web.mit.edu/gsp/www |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |

Imagine Carapace Completed Umber applying his talents to the
explanation of the Simpsons! The mind boggles.

Carl Fogel

Jay Beattie wrote:
> Well, Retro Bob (any relationship to Sideshow Bob?), as I was
> looking for my old Stronglight puller, I happened across an old
> T.A. puller, too. It is a compact model with a short tool body
> and a threaded bolt through the center -- the standard consumer
> tool from the late '70s early 80s. I think it is a 23mm, since I
> already had a 22mm Campagnolo tool and would not have bought a
> duplicate. Is this something you need? If so, I am having a
> puller sale at $10 a pop shipping included. I also have a 1976
> Dura Ace puller that actually came with the crank. Imagine that,
> getting a real puller with the crank (and not just a flakey
> chainring bolt wrench). Those were the good old days! -- Jay
> Beattie.

TA pullers are silver with a TA logo on the top, 15mm drive.
Stronglight are similar but no logo and 16mm (5/8") drive.
(Later Stronglights are 22mm and black )

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Retro Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...
> >>Ok, old dogs... dig into your memory:
> >>Do the vintage TA cranks (1970's) use a Stronglight

type/thread
> > puller
> >>or a more standard (aka modern) puller ?

> Jay Beattie wrote:
> > Well, Retro Bob (any relationship to Sideshow Bob?), as I

was
> > looking for my old Stronglight puller, I happened across an

old
> > T.A. puller, too. It is a compact model with a short tool

body
> > and a threaded bolt through the center -- the standard

consumer
> > tool from the late '70s early 80s. I think it is a 23mm,

since I
> > already had a 22mm Campagnolo tool and would not have bought

> > duplicate. Is this something you need? If so, I am having a
> > puller sale at $10 a pop shipping included. I also have a

1976
> > Dura Ace puller that actually came with the crank. Imagine

that,
> > getting a real puller with the crank (and not just a flakey
> > chainring bolt wrench). Those were the good old days! -- Jay
> > Beattie.
> >

> TA pullers are silver with a TA logo on the top, 15mm drive.
> Stronglight are similar but no logo and 16mm (5/8") drive.
> (Later Stronglights are 22mm and black )

The TA puller has the logo and is a 15mm drive, although it
measures at just under 23mm, but not 22mm. Could be my calipers.
It certainly does not fit a 22mm thread. Was there any other TA
standard besides 23mm and later 22mm? -- Jay Beattie.