Re: Old TA crank - which puller needed ?

Sheldon Brown

Guest
Retro Bob wrote:

> Ok, old dogs... dig into your memory:
>
> Do the vintage TA cranks (1970's) use a Stronglight type/thread puller

[23.15 mm]

> or a more standard (aka modern) puller ?

[22 mm]

No, they don't.

They use a TA puller, 23 mm.

We've got 'em:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#tools

We've got the cranks too!

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks

Sheldon "Outillage Française" Brown
| This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons |
| exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, |
| send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable |
| sub-atomic resources for future generations. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

I wrote:

>>They use a TA puller, 23 mm.
>>
>>We've got 'em:
>>
>>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#tools

> Sheldon: Maybe I went too "old" on that one. I notice that the
> Item Description says "This is a unique size, only for the
> Cyclotouriste and Tevano models". What about the 3 arm alloy
> TA's popular in the 70's ?

All of the older models used that 23 mm size. It'll be obvious if you
try to fit a 22 mm puller in, 'onacountta the threads won't grab even a
little bit.

I've updated that page.

What is confusing is that newer designs from TA, such as the Zephyr and
Alize and the newer Carmina have adopted the 22 mm standard, but the
older models, such as your Professionnel and the Tevano, as well as the
Cyclotouriste (which appears to still be in production) use the older
23 mm tool.

By the way, don't curse TA for being non-standard...I think they were first!

Sheldon "Cyclotouriste" Brown
| ...what is hailed as a new style or a new school |
| in literature often consists of doing as a novelty |
| what a Victorian did long ago as a joke. |
| -- G.K. Chesterton |

Retro Bob wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:18:52 -0400, Sheldon Brown
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>They use a TA puller, 23 mm.
>>
>>We've got 'em:
>>
>>http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#tools

> Sheldon: Maybe I went too "old" on that one. I notice that the
> Item Description says "This is a unique size, only for the
> Cyclotouriste and Tevano models". What about the 3 arm alloy
> TA's popular in the 70's ?

Same tool, 23mm

--
Andrew Muzi