Shoes for wide feet?

I just bought my first road bike with SPD pedals ('04 Lemond Buenos
Aires), but I don't have the shoes yet. I spent a little time in a bike
store trying on a few shoes, but, if they were wide enough, they had
over an inch of free room in the toe. How much does that matter? It
seems to me that there is not much advantage to having stiff shoes if
my feet can shift forward within the shoes.

I am looking for SPD compatible shoes with recessed cleats - decent
shoes, not too expensive. An recommendations for shoes that are good
for wide feet?

Thanks,

Atri

On 12 Dec 2004 22:24:12 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc,
[email protected] wrote:

> I am looking for SPD compatible shoes with recessed cleats - decent
> shoes, not too expensive. An recommendations for shoes that are good
> for wide feet?

the first ones if found that fit my EE feet are pearl izumi
mountain bike shoes. i've heard that carnac shoes are also wide.

I have size13 3E feet and use Sidi Dominator Mega MTB shoes. For the road
I use Lake shoes, don't remember the name but I think they are called LX200
Extreme. Both shoes are great.
Chris Hughes

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] wrote:

> I am looking for SPD compatible shoes with recessed cleats - decent
> shoes, not too expensive. An recommendations for shoes that are good
> for wide feet?

I use Sidi Dominators. They are SPD compatible, at least the MTB
variant. They fit my wide, messed-up feet pretty well.

One major complaint though. If you stand on the pedal without clicking
in (say just to push off at a stop) it's easy for your foot to slip off
the pedal, and ooof! The hard plastic things between the soles and the
ground (what would be called the "cleats" if we were talking soccer
shoes, say) are very slippery. My foot also sometimes rolls when I'm
walking in them, and I lose my balance a trifle, again due to these
plastic supports.

I still wouldn't go back to my narrow Shimanos, though.

Dave