SPD-compatible shoes for wide feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Hoyle

I recently took the plunge and switched my mountain bike over to clipless pedals. I got WTB MP 250
Stealth pedals from a local shop and some inexpensive SPD-compatible shoes.

The shoes I bought seem to be just slightly too thin for the WTB cleat, and the cleats scrape when
I'm walking on concrete (but not asphalt).

Does anyone know of shoes that tend to run wide? I wear 8.5 EE in normal shoes and bought the widest
ones I could find in size 9, but they're still too narrow. I mostly use my shoes for commuting, so
something that looks like a normal shoe would be best....

I could also use sandals. I've seen a couple different models (Shimano and Look) for sale on the
net, but haven't seen them in stores.

Any suggestions?

Also can I use standard Shimano SPD cleats with these pedals?

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/ "I don't want the world, I just want your
half." -TMBG Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

Alan Hoyle <[email protected]> writes:

> I recently took the plunge and switched my mountain bike over to clipless pedals. I got WTB MP 250
> Stealth pedals from a local shop and some inexpensive SPD-compatible shoes.
>
> The shoes I bought seem to be just slightly too thin for the WTB cleat, and the cleats scrape when
> I'm walking on concrete (but not asphalt).
>
> Does anyone know of shoes that tend to run wide? I wear 8.5 EE in normal shoes and bought the
> widest ones I could find in size 9, but they're still too narrow. I mostly use my shoes for
> commuting, so something that looks like a normal shoe would be best....
>
> I could also use sandals. I've seen a couple different models (Shimano and Look) for sale on the
> net, but haven't seen them in stores.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Also can I use standard Shimano SPD cleats with these pedals?
>
> -alan
>
> --
> Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/ "I don't want the world, I just want
> your half." -TMBG Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

Sidi has a "megashoe", which is a wide size. See www.sidiusa.com faq, or any reseller of sidi and
the size ends with an "M". I have a "44M", e.g. I'm very VERY happy with my Sidi "Dominator 4". I
suppose the cheaper models come in "M" sizes too. I couldn't find another brand that had wide sizes.
I guess the (non-Italian) marketing types figured out that when you have wide feet you're no longer
sufficiently athletic to justify the expense of special shoes for biking.

"William Westphal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Hoyle <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I recently took the plunge and switched my mountain bike over to clipless pedals. I got WTB MP
> > 250 Stealth pedals from a local shop and some inexpensive SPD-compatible shoes.
> >
> > The shoes I bought seem to be just slightly too thin for the WTB cleat, and the cleats scrape
> > when I'm walking on concrete (but not asphalt).
> >
> > Does anyone know of shoes that tend to run wide? I wear 8.5 EE in normal shoes and bought the
> > widest ones I could find in size 9, but they're still too narrow. I mostly use my shoes for
> > commuting, so something that looks like a normal shoe would be best....
> >
> > I could also use sandals. I've seen a couple different models (Shimano and Look) for sale on the
> > net, but haven't seen them in stores.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Also can I use standard Shimano SPD cleats with these pedals?
> >
> > -alan
> >
> > --
> > Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/ "I don't want the world, I just want
> > your half." -TMBG Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
>
> Sidi has a "megashoe", which is a wide size. See www.sidiusa.com faq, or any reseller of sidi and
> the size ends with an "M". I have a "44M", e.g. I'm very VERY happy with my Sidi "Dominator 4". I
> suppose the cheaper models come in "M" sizes too. I couldn't find another brand that had wide
> sizes. I guess the (non-Italian) marketing types figured out that when you have wide feet you're
> no longer sufficiently athletic to justify the expense of special shoes for biking.

You can also get inexpensive (relatively) cheap chinese made wide sizes from Lake (Nashbar and
others.) Foot width, by the way, doesn't change and has nothing to do with athleticism any more than
arm length.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.