or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'... - Page 15

post #211 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

In article <MPG.1b65fa68fa6858b598976c@news.clara.net>,
Jon Senior <jon@restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote:
> I am aware of all this. I was demonstrating that the old internet myth
> is nothing but that. No ISP in their right mind would release _any_
> information about one of their users to a member of the public, but as
> an internet user you are _not_ anonymous. Just harder to locate.

I've received a S.29(3) notice, and been unable to respond because I
didn't hold the logs required. I don't believe that an ISP in the same
position would have had any more logs than I did.

> With regard to your last point, given how many people actually read the
> EULAs and similar, they could well hold far more information with your
> permission.

They can only hold what you give them. Consider the case of someone who
accesses the internet using Freeserve from a PAYG phone for which they
paid cash. There is precisely no traceback possible without
triangulation and a snatch squad. For extra points, consider access to
a French ISP using a roaming British PAYG phone bought for cash.

ian
post #212 of 222

Ian G Batten <I.G.Batten@batten.eu.org> writes:

> back to the complainant. And finally, the ISP knows nothing about their
> customers except for a billing address anyway, and any ISP which held
> more information than that would again be seeking a visit oop north.

Doesn't matter, because the NNTTP protocol is hierarchical, so all you
need do is go to your local news server and then up several
directories to the root "news" directory and look there.

Don't you agree?

Credulous

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"
post #213 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

In article <87k6wz8uy3.fsf@noetbook.telent.net>,
Daniel Barlow <dan@telent.net> wrote:
> Ian G Batten <I.G.Batten@batten.eu.org> writes:
>
> > back to the complainant. And finally, the ISP knows nothing about their
> > customers except for a billing address anyway, and any ISP which held
> > more information than that would again be seeking a visit oop north.

> Doesn't matter, because the NNTTP protocol is hierarchical, so all you
> need do is go to your local news server and then up several
> directories to the root "news" directory and look there.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. But I've only adminstered
news machines for fifteen years, so what do I know? NNTP doesn't
enforce any sort of naming structure, the news machines know nothing
about users...

ian

> Don't you agree?

You're talking gibberish.

ian

> Credulous
>
> --
> "please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"
post #214 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

Reply to Ian Smith
> I expect there's a name for
> vigorously (even offensively) demanding one standard from others while
> at teh same time deliberately breaking or violating that same standard
> in ones own behaviour.

There is - teen. ;-)

I've formed this powerful impression of Chez Curious:

"What's he doing up in his room all this time?"
"He's being quiet. Be grateful for small mercies."

--
Mark, UK.
We hope to hear him swear, we love to hear him squeak,

"Ambrose Nankivell" <firstname+n@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Dr Curious" <curiosity238@hotmail.com> writes:

round.

> > I've also just realised that you're a sometime colleague of xxxxxxx,
> > which kinda explains a lot.

> I've never met anyone from this group, more's the pity. I did study at
> the school where Chris Malcolm works, but that's pretty irrelevant,
> and I've not been there for 3 years now. I've also met the wife of one
> poster, too.

Nothing sinister intended. Simply it appears you've taught Courses
with someone I'm familiar with from other NewsGroups that's all.
Sorry I can't really be more specific than that.

Curious

post #216 of 222

Ian Smith <ian@astounding.org.uk> writes:

> On 19 Jul 2004, Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Dr Curious" <curiosity238@hotmail.com> writes:

> > > You Mr Nankerville are simply a very poor excuse for a bully boy,
> > > with a very unoriginal line in insults.

> > a) Please spell my name correctly if you insist on using it.

> You'll note that he's getting Michael MacClancy's name consistently
> wrong as well. It's curious (honestly, it really is), but I think
> he's got some sort of strange hang-up about spelling - he seems to
> deliberately spell people's names wrong, apparently as some sort of
> deliberate insult, while at the same time getting extraordinarily
> agitated about my typographic slips with 'the'.

He was also clearly able to spell my name correctly to do a web search
on me, as well.

post #217 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

Ian G Batten <I.G.Batten@batten.eu.org> writes:

> In article <s83df01da1jjtdida17igl2ajoijfhsn99@4ax.com>,
> Gawnsoft <xlucid@users.sourceforge.remove.this.antispam.net> wrote:
> > At least some of Moore's last book was him re-publicising facts that
> > had been published in the New Yorker, yet which had not been
> > highlighted in any on the major daily newspapers.

> But according to Jon it's a right wing magazine. Not that he's troubled
> himself to read a copy, eh?

That reminds me, I wonder where I can get hold of one. Looking for
some nice concentration span expanding stuff.

post #218 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

Ian G Batten <I.G.Batten@batten.eu.org> writes:

> In article <87k6wz8uy3.fsf@noetbook.telent.net>,
> Daniel Barlow <dan@telent.net> wrote:
> > Doesn't matter, because the NNTTP protocol is hierarchical, so all you
> > need do is go to your local news server and then up several
> > directories to the root "news" directory and look there.

> I have absolutely no idea what this means. But I've only adminstered
> news machines for fifteen years, so what do I know? NNTP doesn't
> enforce any sort of naming structure, the news machines know nothing
> about users...
>
> > Don't you agree?

> You're talking gibberish.

I think he missed the smiley off the end. I think the double TT was an
allusion to something else. A thread that the sensible won't have
read, of course.

post #219 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

In article <uisci3czn.fsf@gmail.com>,
Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But according to Jon it's a right wing magazine. Not that he's troubled
> > himself to read a copy, eh?
> >

> That reminds me, I wonder where I can get hold of one. Looking for
> some nice concentration span expanding stuff.

WH Smith major stations or city centres.

ian
post #220 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

Ian G Batten <I.G.Batten@batten.eu.org> writes:
> In article <uisci3czn.fsf@gmail.com>,
> Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+n@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > But according to Jon it's a right wing magazine. Not that he's troubled
> > > himself to read a copy, eh?
> > >

> > That reminds me, I wonder where I can get hold of one. Looking for
> > some nice concentration span expanding stuff.

> WH Smith major stations or city centres.

Will find out if Wolverhampton's a major station, then. Don't remember
seeing it. I'll find a copy somewhere anyway.

post #221 of 222

Re: South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'...

In article <MPG.1b67749fc82ecbcf989909@news.clara.net>,
Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:
> > I've received a S.29(3) notice, and been unable to respond because I
> > didn't hold the logs required. I don't believe that an ISP in the same
> > position would have had any more logs than I did.

> Why not? The main reason that the ISPs used to argue against the RIP
> bill was that the data storage necessary would be phenomenal. I believe
> that they are obliged to keep basic logs for a month (This is from

I received a S.29(3) notice relating to events six months previously.

> you're a dog."! The PAYG revolution has definately changed the face of
> anonymity (I like that phrase, have to remember it!).

Amusingly, everyone, for some value of everyone, assumed that what
criminals wanted from mobile phones was the ability to make cheap calls:
cloning had been a huge problem with TACS analogue. PAYG could only be
done by leveraging the reasonable security of GSM. Of course, what
criminals _really_ wanted was anonymous, untracable phones. And lo,
they have been given them.

ian
post #222 of 222

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Ian G Batten wrote:
>
>>In article <au2df05nqf4gl86o9q60ck6lm5ukdu0r8p@4ax.com>,
>>Gawnsoft <xlucid@users.sourceforge.remove.this.antispam.net> wrote:
>>
>>>We also tend not to react to horrific incidents by declaring war on
>>>the most convenient uninvolved nation.

>>That's right. We don't even need a horrific incident. Or is Suez
>>somehow not a war?

> Probably a police action ;-)

Don't forget about pre-emptive retaliation.

Tony
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK and Europe