[OT] Tsunami donations

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zog The Undeniable, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Took me a while to find, so...

    If you have less than £50 lying around in a PayPal account that would
    cost you money to withdraw, these guys can use it:

    http://www.colombopage.com/

    None of the major UK charities seem to take PayPal.

    Roger

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <hrothgar19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Took me a while to find, so...
    >
    > If you have less than £50 lying around in a PayPal account that would cost
    > you money to withdraw, these guys can use it:
    >
    > http://www.colombopage.com/

    Saw this on another NG:

    Cost of one F-22 Raptor tactical fighter jet -- $225 million

    Cost of the ongoing U.S. war in Iraq--$228 million/day

    Amount spent by Kerry and Bush campaigns -- $400 million

    U.S. aid to Yushchenko camp in recent Ukrainian conflict -- $30+ million

    Estimated cost of Bush's Second Inauguration and Ball -- $ 40+ million

    Amount of U.S. tax cuts under Bush -- $1 trillion

    Cost of the U.S. Iraq War in 2004 -- $147 billion

    U.S. reconstruction aid budgeted for Iraq (though never spent!) -- $18
    billion

    Amount the U.S. initially in aid to Indian Ocean tsunami victims -- $
    10 million

    Amount U.S. offered in tsunami aid after being chastised by UN official
    -- $35 million*

    * the 20 million addition is in loan guarantees, not aid.
    Bush/Blair should just say........... "let them eat cake"

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > Saw this on another NG:
    >
    > Cost of one F-22 Raptor tactical fighter jet -- $225 million
    >
    > Cost of the ongoing U.S. war in Iraq--$228 million/day
    >
    > Amount spent by Kerry and Bush campaigns -- $400 million
    >
    > U.S. aid to Yushchenko camp in recent Ukrainian conflict -- $30+
    > million
    >
    > Estimated cost of Bush's Second Inauguration and Ball -- $ 40+ million
    >
    > Amount of U.S. tax cuts under Bush -- $1 trillion
    >
    > Cost of the U.S. Iraq War in 2004 -- $147 billion
    >
    > U.S. reconstruction aid budgeted for Iraq (though never spent!) -- $18
    > billion
    >
    > Amount the U.S. initially in aid to Indian Ocean tsunami victims -- $
    > 10 million
    >
    > Amount U.S. offered in tsunami aid after being chastised by UN
    > official -- $35 million*
    >
    > * the 20 million addition is in loan guarantees, not aid.
    > Bush/Blair should just say........... "let them eat cake"

    Hi Simon
    Do you know the original source of this?
    I'd like to forward it to a " everything America does is wonderful" DJ at my
    local radio station ;-)
    Ta
    Jan

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Jan" <jan@freeinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Simon
    > Do you know the original source of this?
    > I'd like to forward it to a " everything America does is wonderful" DJ at
    > my
    > local radio station ;-)

    Don't know about the original source, but I found it on
    uk.media.radio.bbc-r5. I haven't checked out the veracity of the figures
    either.
    --
    Simon M.

  5. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > "Jan" <jan@freeinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Simon
    >> Do you know the original source of this?
    >> I'd like to forward it to a " everything America does is wonderful"
    >> DJ at my
    >> local radio station ;-)

    > Don't know about the original source, but I found it on
    > uk.media.radio.bbc-r5. I haven't checked out the veracity of the
    > figures either.
    > --
    > Simon M.

    Ta
    I'll have a look

    Jan

  6. "Zog The Undeniable" <hrothgar19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Took me a while to find, so...
    >
    > If you have less than £50 lying around in a PayPal account that would cost
    > you money to withdraw, these guys can use it:
    >
    > http://www.colombopage.com/
    >
    > None of the major UK charities seem to take PayPal.
    >
    > Roger

    Can you be sure this site is a genuine charity site? I'd hate to be donating
    to a scammer.

  7. bob watkinson wrote:

    > Can you be sure this site is a genuine charity site? I'd hate to be donating
    > to a scammer.

    Not absolutely (can you ever be with the Internet?), but a quick Google
    shows that the website has been up since well before the disaster, so it
    certainly hasn't been set up to capitalise on recent events.

    If you're in any doubt, you can of course use a credit card to donate to
    a UK charity.

  8. mark

    mark Guest

    "Simon Mason" wrote>
    > Saw this on another NG:
    >
    > Cost of one F-22 Raptor tactical fighter jet -- $225 million
    >
    > Cost of the ongoing U.S. war in Iraq--$228 million/day
    >
    > Amount spent by Kerry and Bush campaigns -- $400 million
    >
    > U.S. aid to Yushchenko camp in recent Ukrainian conflict -- $30+ million
    >
    > Estimated cost of Bush's Second Inauguration and Ball -- $ 40+ million
    >
    > Amount of U.S. tax cuts under Bush -- $1 trillion
    >
    > Cost of the U.S. Iraq War in 2004 -- $147 billion
    >
    > U.S. reconstruction aid budgeted for Iraq (though never spent!) -- $18
    > billion
    >
    > Amount the U.S. initially in aid to Indian Ocean tsunami victims -- $
    > 10 million
    >
    > Amount U.S. offered in tsunami aid after being chastised by UN official
    > -- $35 million*
    >
    > * the 20 million addition is in loan guarantees, not aid.
    > Bush/Blair should just say........... "let them eat cake"

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/30/opinion/30thu2.html?th

    Behind free registration, but it seems to support Mr. Mason's premise.
    Excuse me for not scanning the text into this post, but I tried twice and
    got a big mess with all the links that were on the page.
    --
    mark

  9. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > If you have less than £50 lying around in a PayPal account that would
    > cost you money to withdraw, these guys can use it:
    >
    > http://www.colombopage.com/
    >
    > None of the major UK charities seem to take PayPal.

    For anyone who does have credit with Paypal and wishes to donate can do so
    on through this site:
    http://www.ezzy.com/

    (Ezzy Sails manufacture windsurfing sails for the world market in Sri Lanka.
    They are pledging the money to their distressed workers with any surplus
    being forwarded to the Red Cross).

    Pete

  10. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:18:11 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <peter28@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >"Zog The Undeniable" <hrothgar19@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> If you have less than £50 lying around in a PayPal account that would
    >> cost you money to withdraw, these guys can use it:
    >>
    >> http://www.colombopage.com/
    >>
    >> None of the major UK charities seem to take PayPal.

    >For anyone who does have credit with Paypal and wishes to donate can do so
    >on through this site:
    >http://www.ezzy.com/
    >
    >(Ezzy Sails manufacture windsurfing sails for the world market in Sri Lanka.
    >They are pledging the money to their distressed workers with any surplus
    >being forwarded to the Red Cross).

    Alternatively just use your regular credit card at
    <http://www.dec.org.uk/>, although the site's a bit busy.

    Just how much are you going to spend on bikes this year?

    Tim

  11. BrianW

    BrianW Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > Took me a while to find, so...
    >
    > If you have less than £50 lying around in a PayPal account that would
    > cost you money to withdraw, these guys can use it:
    >
    > http://www.colombopage.com/
    >
    > None of the major UK charities seem to take PayPal.

    http://www.dec.org.uk

    Accepted my credit card for a donation.

    Brian

  12. "mark" <mark@mousepotato.com> wrote in message

    > "Simon Mason" wrote>
    >> Saw this on another NG:
    >>
    >> Cost of one F-22 Raptor tactical fighter jet -- $225 million
    >>
    >> Cost of the ongoing U.S. war in Iraq--$228 million/day
    >>
    >> Amount spent by Kerry and Bush campaigns -- $400 million
    >>
    >> U.S. aid to Yushchenko camp in recent Ukrainian conflict -- $30+ million
    >>
    >> Estimated cost of Bush's Second Inauguration and Ball -- $ 40+ million
    >>
    >> Amount of U.S. tax cuts under Bush -- $1 trillion
    >>
    >> Cost of the U.S. Iraq War in 2004 -- $147 billion
    >>
    >> U.S. reconstruction aid budgeted for Iraq (though never spent!) -- $18
    >> billion
    >>
    >> Amount the U.S. initially in aid to Indian Ocean tsunami victims -- $
    >> 10 million
    >>
    >> Amount U.S. offered in tsunami aid after being chastised by UN official
    >> -- $35 million*
    >>
    >> * the 20 million addition is in loan guarantees, not aid.
    >> Bush/Blair should just say........... "let them eat cake"

    For a US perspective on the cost of the war in Iraq:

    http://www.costofwar.com/

  13. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tim Hall" <timhall@nospamtoday.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Alternatively just use your regular credit card at
    > <http://www.dec.org.uk/>, although the site's a bit busy.

    Which is how I made my donation, however the OP was referring to people with
    small(ish) credits in their Paypal accounts that they might wish to donate
    to empty the account.

    Regards,
    Pete

Share This Page