A lesson or two

wafflycat

Guest
Yesterday Nathan cycled over to one of his mates's homes yesterday. As
Nathan had some training to do, he went over on his time trial bike. A
couple of other on an electric-assist bike. They decided to 'race' back.
Nathan gave them a head start. The lad on the BMX set off first, followed by
the lad on the electric-assist. It's an uphill drage from the 'start' so
Nathan let them get a several hundred yard start. The lad on the electric
assist soon caught the BMX. Both were well-gobsmacked when a few seconds
later Nathan sped by and he wasn't even in top gear. Apparently it brought
home to them that you can go a lot faster on a bicycle than they thought
possible.

Then today, Vernon was chatting to Nathan about bikes (quelle surprise...
not...) and mentioned an Ambrosio frame.

Quote from Nathan, "Who would want a bike built by a custard manufacturer??"
:-D

Cheers, helen s

> Then today, Vernon was chatting to Nathan about bikes (quelle surprise...
> not...) and mentioned an Ambrosio frame.
>
> Quote from Nathan, "Who would want a bike built by a custard

manufacturer??"

Sod the bike just give me the custard :)

t'other Vernon

In article <[email protected]>, wafflycat
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
> Apparently it brought home to them that you can go a lot faster on
> a bicycle than they thought possible.

I have had to disable the big ring on the front gear on the tandems -
the hoogalins were breaking the speed limit!

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

On 07/17/2005 19:51:56 "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

> Yesterday Nathan cycled over to one of his mates's homes yesterday. As
> Nathan had some training to do, he went over on his time trial bike. A
> couple of other on an electric-assist bike. They decided to 'race' back.
> Nathan gave them a head start. The lad on the BMX set off first, followed
> by the lad on the electric-assist. It's an uphill drage from the 'start'
> so Nathan let them get a several hundred yard start. The lad on the
> electric assist soon caught the BMX. Both were well-gobsmacked when a few
> seconds later Nathan sped by and he wasn't even in top gear. Apparently
> it brought home to them that you can go a lot faster on a bicycle than
> they thought possible.

> Then today, Vernon was chatting to Nathan about bikes (quelle surprise...
> not...) and mentioned an Ambrosio frame.

> Quote from Nathan, "Who would want a bike built by a custard
> manufacturer??"

>> -D

That's stupid, what are you teaching the boy?

Everyone knows they make rice pudding!

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Buck wrote:

> That's stupid, what are you teaching the boy?
>
> Everyone knows they make rice pudding!

....and custard.

--
Tony

Anon

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:51:56 +0100, "wafflycat"
<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>... It's an uphill drage from the 'start' ... Both were well-gobsmacked when a few seconds

^^^^^^
>later Nathan sped by and he wasn't even in top gear.

Rather doubtful he'd have sped by if he was, I'd have thought.

Sandy Morton wrote:

> I have had to disable the big ring on the front gear on the tandems -
> the hoogalins were breaking the speed limit!

Fortunately, public highway speed limits only apply to motor vehicles, I
believe...

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

Tony Raven wrote:
> Buck wrote:
>>
>> That's stupid, what are you teaching the boy?
>>
>> Everyone knows they make rice pudding!
>>

> ...and custard.

No comment.

I'm not thinking of the school playground or anything now.
--
Ambrose

wafflycat wrote:
Both were well-gobsmacked
> when a few seconds later Nathan sped by and he wasn't even in top gear.
> Apparently it brought home to them that you can go a lot faster on a
> bicycle than they thought possible.

Some years back we pedalled up into the Alps, starting with the
Dover-Ostend ferry. On our first morning, in Belgium, we got to share
some psyclepfaffs with the mopeds. I don't think most of the local
teenagers on their mutant lawnmowers were very accustomed to being
passed by three heavily-laden Brits on human-powered touring machines!

Sadly I don't think I could do that any more. Certainly not on the
uphill.

--
Not me guv