or Connect
Cycling Forums › Forums › Other Stuff › Archives › General health and fitness › Health and nutrition › Food and nutrition › Low Carb Sugar Free Zucchini Relish - Tasty!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Low Carb Sugar Free Zucchini Relish - Tasty!

post #1 of 6
Sugar Free Zucchini Relish
Makes approximately 6, 2 pint jars.
Carbohydrates per Serving: 4.12 - Carbohydrates per Serving minus
Fiber: 2.22

10 cups shredded zucchini
5 cups onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper

Chop and mix together. Then stir in 5 T. pickling salt and let stand
overnight covered in the fridge. Drain well in colander.

Add:
5 c. All Natural Steviva Blend or whatever no caloric sweetener you
prefer.
1 T dry mustard
1 T turmeric
2 T. celery seed
1T cornstarch
1/2 t. pepper
2 1/2 c. white vinegar.

Boil for 15 min in open kettle. Put into sterilized jars and hot
canning lids. The heat should seal the jars.

You can find All Natural Steviva Brand Stevia Blend and Stevia Powder
at http://www.steviva.com. Great for low carb cookng and baking.
post #2 of 6

Re: Low Carb Sugar Free Zucchini Relish - Tasty!

"Luna" <lunachick@NOSPAMmindspring.com> wrote

> Why does relish need sweetener at all? I eat dill pickle relish, which is
> not sweet and is delicious.

Yes, but many people sometimes like a sweet relish for some things. I like
dill pickles, but for tuna salad I really want a sweet pickle relish. I
compromise by using a dill (non-sweet) relish and adding a few drops of
sweetener.

> CORNSTARCH IS EVIL!!! sorry for the yelling, but it is. And it isn't
> low-carb.

No, but a small amount in a large recipe won't add much in the way of carbs
to an individual serving. I think I'd use xanthan or guar gum, though, for
this recipe. Most people could handle the small amount here, but a few
people may find even small amounts of certain things - sugar, flour, corn,
etc. - to be trigger foods.

Luna, one of the things we need to realize is that even though we prefer to
to eat low carb, need it for our health even, higher carb things aren't
necessarily evil. That's the kind of black and white thinking that many
people find incompatible with long-term maintenance. It also reminds me a
lot of the quasi-religious mindset of vegan animal rights groups.

It is all in the amount... we got fat/damaged our health because of the
amount of this kind of thing we used, because we made it the center of our
diets rather than just a moderate or small part. and at the same time we
consistently ate more calories than we burned. Not because we added a small
amount of cornstarch to a gravy in an otherwise low-carb meal.

There are certain foods I'd say are pretty bad for health... transfats...
maybe Krispy Kreme donuts for that reason... stuff like that. But most
starchy foods are relatively innocuous in small amounts, depending on our
personal tolerance level. Recognizing this allows us to make wider, but
intelligent, choices and still stay low carb. I would say that vegetables
are the best source of carbs for us, because of their higher nutrient
density. But learning to live with small amounts of things like cornstarch
allows us to eat at restaurants and friend's houses... in the real world.

HG

> > 1/2 t. pepper
> > 2 1/2 c. white vinegar.
> >
> > Boil for 15 min in open kettle. Put into sterilized jars and hot
> > canning lids. The heat should seal the jars.
> >

> --
> Michelle Levin
> http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.
post #3 of 6

Re: Low Carb Sugar Free Zucchini Relish - Tasty!

bob,
i have a container that has nothing in it but VERY finely
chopped nuts...................that is what i use "to flour" my
chicken.

--
rosie
MORNING COFFEE VIEW

"Bob M" <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote in message
newspslzj39cwh8ewrd@esq03.mfh.com...
: On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:09:38 -0500, Hannah Gruen
: <inriverheights@yahoo.com> wrote:
:
: >
: > "Luna" <lunachick@NOSPAMmindspring.com> wrote
: >>
[...]
: Speaking of this, what's a good replacement for flour as a
thickener? My
: girlfriend last night made chicken and the recipe called for
flouring the
: chicken then making a sauce with what remained after sauteing (sp?
Dang
: French!) the chicken. To me, it seemed as if all the flour went
into the
: sauce. What else could be done? Could you just saute the chicken
then
: add a different thickener?
:
: --
: Bob in CT
post #4 of 6

Re: Low Carb Sugar Free Zucchini Relish - Tasty!

hannah,
i couldn't agree with you more......................lots of us who
participate in ASD-LC have adopted LC as a way of life, and learning
to change the way we eat, out here in the real world, WITHOUT
feeling deprived has proved the most successful for the long term,
imo.

--

"Hannah Gruen" <inriverheights@yahoo.com> wrote in message
:
[...]
: > >
: > > Boil for 15 min in open kettle. Put into sterilized jars and
hot
: > > canning lids. The heat should seal the jars.
: > >
: >
: > --
: > Michelle Levin
: > http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
: >
: > I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have
3 flaws.
:
:
post #5 of 6

Re: Low Carb Sugar Free Zucchini Relish - Tasty!

when cooked, cornstarch turns rapidly to glucose. But uncooked, cornstarch
has a very slow release profile that can maintain a steady blood glucose for
many hours.

"Luna" <lunachick@NOSPAMmindspring.com> wrote in message
> In article <1107913549.605353.76160@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Steviva_Stevia" <king@swmm.com> wrote:
>
>> Sugar Free Zucchini Relish
>> Makes approximately 6, 2 pint jars.
>> Carbohydrates per Serving: 4.12 - Carbohydrates per Serving minus
>> Fiber: 2.22
>>
>> 10 cups shredded zucchini
>> 5 cups onion
>> 1 red pepper
>> 1 green pepper
>>
>> Chop and mix together. Then stir in 5 T. pickling salt and let stand
>> overnight covered in the fridge. Drain well in colander.
>>
>> Add:
>> 5 c. All Natural Steviva Blend or whatever no caloric sweetener you
>> prefer.

> Why does relish need sweetener at all? I eat dill pickle relish, which is
> not sweet and is delicious.
>
>> 1 T dry mustard
>> 1 T turmeric
>> 2 T. celery seed
>> 1T cornstarch

> CORNSTARCH IS EVIL!!! sorry for the yelling, but it is. And it isn't
> low-carb.
>

>> 1/2 t. pepper
>> 2 1/2 c. white vinegar.
>>
>> Boil for 15 min in open kettle. Put into sterilized jars and hot
>> canning lids. The heat should seal the jars.
>>

> --
> Michelle Levin
> http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.
post #6 of 6

Re: Low Carb Sugar Free Zucchini Relish - Tasty!

"Bob M" <ctviggen.y@adelphia.net> wrote in message
newspslzj39cwh8ewrd@esq03.mfh.com...

> Speaking of this, what's a good replacement for flour as a thickener? My
> girlfriend last night made chicken and the recipe called for flouring the
> chicken then making a sauce with what remained after sauteing (sp? Dang
> French!) the chicken. To me, it seemed as if all the flour went into the
> sauce. What else could be done? Could you just saute the chicken then
> add a different thickener?

Well, it depends on the recipe. I usually use Atkins bake mix for flouring
things before sautéing. That's about all I use it for. It seems to do a
fairly good job, but doesn't "stick" quite as well as regular flour. More
often I don't even use any kind of breading, though.

Bake mix, or other things commonly used for breading in lc cookery, such as
ground nuts, finely grated parmesan cheese, ground pork rinds, won't thicken
the sauce. For that, I'd add a bit of xanthan gum. It's thickening is more
like corn starch than flour, but it's pretty good and carb-free. It takes a
while to learn to use, and keep in mind you use far less than you would
flour or cornstarch. There's something called Thick 'n Thin by Expert Foods
that is supposed to be even better, but I haven't tried it. It's a mixture
of gums IIRC. Some people with higher carb limits go ahead and just use a
bit of flour or corn starch for gravies, sauces. The amount of carb per
serving is usually fairly low when you do that.

HG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food and nutrition