It's day three on my second go with Atkins - and I return to the group

Max Hollywood Harris

Guest
Hello all,

My name is Max, and I had a love/hate relationship with carbs. It
started in 2002, when I first read the New Diet Revolution and decided
to do something about myself. I weighed 256 the day I finally started.
I lived in LA, worked in TV production and was in a crappy relationship
(that I didn't realize or want to admit was crappy). My time on Atkins
was great. I lost weight, I felt better. I worked out 6 days a week (I
lived across the street from a gym). I posted frequently to this group
back when ANA was in the early days of the "network effects" (Atkins
shakes were just getting into the supermarkets of LA, at $9.99/4). No
South Beach yet, and supermarkets were very thin on processed LC
product. I used to drive out to Pasadena to shop the warehouse of an
early LC mailorder house (I forget the name, and I think it's changed
since then anyway).

Any rate, I lost 50 pounds which was about my goal (I used to sign
256/x/210). I loved the community of this group and found it really
useful. I moved to St. Louis with the bad relationship (which became a
lot more apparently bad after that move). I stayed in touch with the
group, but lost touch with the diet. I started a graduate degree (in
business). I restarted the diet, unsuccessfully twice. I ended the bad
relationship during my first set of finals (these would be my first set
of finals involving math in 13 years, which is a weird time span for a
guy of only 30 years to be able to use). I found myself, for a year and
a half always about month or two away from restarting Atkins. The
battery in my scale died, and I didn't bother to change it.

I gained it all back. With interest. A lending institution would have
to be a loan shark to charge this kind of interest. I graduated this
May weighing inat 273, feeling pretty fat, a little doomed, unhappy
with every aspect of my life, save two, one of which ended, officially,
on May 20th, with my graduation. I had the fullest and best experience
of my life in B-school, made great friends, joined clubs, became a
leader of my peers. Made the Olin school of B at Wash U in the Lou
better than it was before I got there. Really. Created a new
institution. Contributed a lot of thought in some course redesign.
Broadened the horizons of my peers, just as they opened mine. With all
of us moving on, many spreading out around the world, I was, probably
understandably unhappy.

I'm gonna go back in time a little here, so please bear with me. Right
after I broke up with the bad relationship, I met the woman who would
be the other light of my life. In all ways, she is wonderful, which
probably explains how I, full of fears of committment, especially after
the bad relationship, managed to ask her to marry me. Amazingly, she
said yes, and a month after graduation, we got married. Despite being a
pretty surreal day, emotionally speaking, it was one of the happiest of
my life. If I didn't have my wife right now, I suspect I'd be in a
pretty dark place.

My wife has recently started a diet with LA Weight Loss, which she
likes and I don't have a problem with, since she's had success when she
wanted it with them before, and is having success with them now.
Motivated by her wonderful example, the pressure in my head, and some
free time, I started Atkins on Tuesday of this week. This time, I know
it's going to work. The support system is actually supportive (instead
of competitive). I'm applying my business administration skills to it
(Excel is a fun tool for diet and exercise... I suspect charts will be
very motivating...). I have a fridge full of good stuff to eat. And it
seems a lot easier to do now than when I first did it.

I hope to rejoin the group, as an active participant, maybe even meet
anyone here in the Lou. I hope to meet and exceed my goals. I hope to
develop the rockstar body that my rockstar personality deserves and
that my wife deserves as well.

It's day three. I'm in ketosis (this morning, at 4 AM, I turned the
strip very purple, which tells me I should probably drink more water).
I don't feel tired, cranky, weak or crave-y (Days two and three have
been miserable for me the previous four times I have tried this,
sabotaging me once right there). I feel kind of optimistic about the
future, which is a little strange right now, but I'm enjoying it.

Hollywood Harris
264/263.5/206
40/40/20 (body fat % by my Tanita scale)

"Max Hollywood Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>
> My name is Max, and I had a love/hate relationship with carbs.

Hi, Max! Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations on the degree
and the marriage! Good luck with the diet, you sound really committed this
time. Have you and your lady planned any mutual treats as you lose?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

We're going out to dinner tomorrow night, a little fancy (we know the
place, so both know we can work our respective nutritional approaches
there).

Trip to Italy, possibly in November (honeymoon, 5 months late, but
probably better able to be enjoyed), and a friend's wedding next
memorial day in the Carribean are the big plans.

I dunno if this is the kind of thing you mean, so I'd be curious to get
other ideas.

"Max Hollywood Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We're going out to dinner tomorrow night, a little fancy (we know the
> place, so both know we can work our respective nutritional approaches
> there).
>
> Trip to Italy, possibly in November (honeymoon, 5 months late, but
> probably better able to be enjoyed), and a friend's wedding next
> memorial day in the Carribean are the big plans.
>
> I dunno if this is the kind of thing you mean, so I'd be curious to get
> other ideas.

Rewards for losing was what I had in mind - but those ideas sound cool : )

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/76/72Kg

I guess you were here before I started, around 11/2003. So, you should know
it before I say it: WOL = Way Of Life

You have been using low carb as a temporary diet between periods of whatever
you consider normal. It is possible to develop a broad menu of LC choices
to keep some variety without returning to carby stuff.

Having carby food on hand for your wife may make things difficult for you.
Ideally, all the carbs would go into the trash can.

Unless you are very tall or muscular, you might consider a lower goal
weight.

Cubit 311/162/150

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Cubit wrote:

> I guess you were here before I started, around 11/2003. So, you should know
> it before I say it: WOL = Way Of Life
>
> You have been using low carb as a temporary diet between periods of whatever
> you consider normal. It is possible to develop a broad menu of LC choices
> to keep some variety without returning to carby stuff.
>
> Having carby food on hand for your wife may make things difficult for you.
> Ideally, all the carbs would go into the trash can.

That's one way of doing it, but not the only way to be successful. When I
started lowcarbing and during the period in which I had most of my losses,
I lived w/ housemates who were not low-carbing, indeed quite the reverse.
I just treated their food as off limits and so it wasn't an issue. Now
that I live alone, my kitchen is pretty low carb, but I keep a few high
carb things in, but they're there for specific reasons, not for me to
snack on.

We live surrounded by high carb foods - my office puts out cookies in the
afternoons a couple of times a week; we frequently have free food
available in the kitchen and it's usually carby. We need to ingrain into
ourselves the knowledge that just because the food is there doesn't mean
we have to eat it.

Yes, it is easier if you can remove temptations from your home space, but
if you live w/ someone who isn't following this WOE, then you just have to
learn to ignore them (the foods, not the person).

> Unless you are very tall or muscular, you might consider a lower goal
> weight.

Some people find it more rewarding to set their goals high, so they can
definitely make them and then revise downward as they meet their original
targets.

Martha

--
Sig pending

> [...]
> (Excel is a fun tool for diet and exercise... I suspect charts will be
> very motivating...). I have a fridge full of good stuff to eat. And it
> seems a lot easier to do now than when I first did it.
>
> I hope to rejoin the group, as an active participant, maybe even meet
> anyone here in the Lou. I hope to meet and exceed my goals. I hope to
> develop the rockstar body that my rockstar personality deserves and
> that my wife deserves as well.
>
> It's day three. I'm in ketosis (this morning, at 4 AM, I turned the
> strip very purple, which tells me I should probably drink more water).
> I don't feel tired, cranky, weak or crave-y (Days two and three have
> been miserable for me the previous four times I have tried this,
> sabotaging me once right there). I feel kind of optimistic about the
> future, which is a little strange right now, but I'm enjoying it.

Hi Max, I hope that you will do great with the support you're getting and
the new life you're creating for yourself! I hope that this nutritional
plan becomes a permanent lifestyle instead of just a temporary way to lose
weight - shouldn't be as hard this time around with your optimism and the
changes that you're making, if you just get rid of the carby foods and
incorporate the healthy ones as you go.

I'll be watching this space and hope you'll keep posting so we can share in
your success! :)

--
Sherry
364/315/195

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I hope to rejoin the group, as an active participant, maybe even meet
> anyone here in the Lou. I hope to meet and exceed my goals. I hope to
> develop the rockstar body that my rockstar personality deserves and
> that my wife deserves as well.

Hi Max, welcome back!

--
Saffire
205/135/125

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

Thanks all,

Def. looking at it as a WOL not the D word. I did the first time (when
I was successful back in two-double-ought-two), but lived with a woman
who was alternatively very supportive and very jealous of the success I
had. The cross country move (four days in a car with said woman and our
dog) basically broke my WOL and I had a hella time trying to refind it,
with a lot of complications around the move.

I look at my dad as an inspiration. On my advice and success, he has
been living la vida LC since about Jan of 03. He met his goal, kept
going to a second goal. Then a third. He didn't have that much to lose,
I think he's down 45, and has maintained through present and I suspect
will maintain. He looks great, beat his DNA-destined diabetes (he was
pre when he started, his mother, father, brother, uncle and two cousins
developed adult onset). Dad is the man, no doubt.

I will tell you this on the D-word/WOL distinction. When you are flat
out lying to yourself about what you need to lose, along the lines of
"I need to lose 10-15 when you really need to lose 50" it's hard to
make the commitment to a shift in WOL. When you wake up, finally admit
you have a problem (love bad carbs, eat like ****, don't move a lot),
and you have real reasons to solve that problem (wife, self respect,
etc), making that committment is not that hard at all.

Saffire - I remember you from my last days in the digital neighborhood.
I just looked at your pics, Rockstar. You definitely rock.

Cubit - I am 6'2", and particularly flabby, not muscular. That said, I
think 58 lbs (~22% of me on 7/19) is a worthy middle-long term goal. As
Martha noted, I always have the option of revising when I get there.
But I'm a wonk, who likes charts, graphs and spreadsheets so I needed
some numbers to plug. I came up with this number based on BMI, Fat%,
and memory of where I was when I did well. Come next year, when I get
there, I might decide to go to my "Senior Year of High School two-sport
Athlete" weight of 175. But I think being that shape 15 years later is
very ambitious and should probably only be considered after an
intermediary goal. Thanks for your thought.

Hollywood.

Max Hollywood Harris wrote:

> I hope to rejoin the group, as an active participant,
> maybe even meet
> anyone here in the Lou. I hope to meet and exceed my
> goals. I hope to
> develop the rockstar body that my rockstar personality
> deserves and
> that my wife deserves as well.
>
> It's day three. I'm in ketosis (this morning, at 4 AM, I
> turned the
> strip very purple, which tells me I should probably drink
> more water).
> I don't feel tired, cranky, weak or crave-y (Days two and
> three have
> been miserable for me the previous four times I have tried
> this,
> sabotaging me once right there). I feel kind of optimistic
> about the
> future, which is a little strange right now, but I'm
> enjoying it.
>
> Hollywood Harris
> 264/263.5/206
> 40/40/20 (body fat % by my Tanita scale)

Welcome back Max.

--
JJ.
275/180/180 - as of February 18, 2005 (adjusted target

Sounds like you have a good attitude and motivation, and you know in
your heart that you can do it.

So you will

Good luck, but you won't need it.

Jim

Max Hollywood Harris wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My name is Max, and I had a love/hate relationship with carbs. It
> started in 2002, when I first read the New Diet Revolution and decided
> to do something about myself. I weighed 256 the day I finally started.

I hope to rejoin the group, as an active participant, maybe even meet
> anyone here in the Lou. I hope to meet and exceed my goals. I hope to
> develop the rockstar body that my rockstar personality deserves and
> that my wife deserves as well.
>
> It's day three. I'm in ketosis (this morning, at 4 AM, I turned the
> strip very purple, which tells me I should probably drink more water).
> I don't feel tired, cranky, weak or crave-y (Days two and three have
> been miserable for me the previous four times I have tried this,
> sabotaging me once right there). I feel kind of optimistic about the
> future, which is a little strange right now, but I'm enjoying it.
>
> Hollywood Harris
> 264/263.5/206
> 40/40/20 (body fat % by my Tanita scale)

*** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- it's appearance
in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Saffire - I remember you from my last days in the digital neighborhood.
> I just looked at your pics, Rockstar. You definitely rock.

Thanks!

--
Saffire
205/135/125

Max Hollywood Harris wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My name is Max, and I had a love/hate relationship with carbs. It
> started in 2002, when I first read the New Diet Revolution and decided
> to do something about myself.

>I feel kind of optimistic about the
> future, which is a little strange right now, but I'm enjoying it.
>
> Hollywood Harris
> 264/263.5/206
> 40/40/20 (body fat % by my Tanita scale)

Welcome back Max. Its good to see that you're still optimistic
about changing your health... in every way. I remember reading
your post and getting the ~something isn't solid~ vibe about your
relationship. When people fall off the NG its hard not to wonder
if they found something that worked for them or if they had
totally gave up on trying to change their health.

--
Rudy - Remove the Z from my address to respond.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!"
-Emiliano Zapata

Check out the a.s.d.l-c FAQ at:
http://www.grossweb.com/asdlc/faq.htm

Thanks Rudy,

I had done extremely well, was very happy with ongoing results and was
totally bought into the WOL. Then totally gave up, now back to being
very interested. I hope the incentives are right now (I think they were
mixed before). Now, if I can just get the post-MBA job, everything will
be well on it's way to great.

-Hollywood