Stuffed mushrooms revisited

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Guest
It's all Kili's fault. ;-)
I've not had stuffed mushrooms in ages and have never attempted to make
them myself...

I was at the grocery store this morning and the packages of white
mushrooms were GORGEOUS!!! Huge, fresh and delicious looking.

I took those home and cleaned them off, popped the stems out of them and
put the caps aside after treating them with a small amount of Wishbone
italian dressing.

I then dropped the stems into a small electric food chopper and minced
them well, then pre-cooked them in the microwave for 3 minutes to get
out most of the water.

To that I added 3/4 cup of ground beef, 1 stalk of minced celery (did
that with the chinese knife), a little garlic powder, a dash of salt
free lemon pepper 1 Tbs. of roasted sesame seeds and a handful of
shredded jack cheese.

Mixed that all well and stuffed it into the caps, just 'till it was
rounded on top. It was just enough stuffing to do the entire lb.

I then turned on the Hamilton grill and let it heat for 5 minutes or so.
Placed the mushrooms into the grill, closed it and grilled for 10
minutes.

They were amazing......

My housemate wants me to do that more often. ;-) Total prep time was
maybe 10 minutes.

Next time I think I'll top them with a little grated parmesan.

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

That sounds great but what is Jack cheese?

Liz
"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's all Kili's fault. ;-)
> I've not had stuffed mushrooms in ages and have never attempted to make
> them myself...
>
> I was at the grocery store this morning and the packages of white
> mushrooms were GORGEOUS!!! Huge, fresh and delicious looking.
>
> I took those home and cleaned them off, popped the stems out of them and
> put the caps aside after treating them with a small amount of Wishbone
> italian dressing.
>
> I then dropped the stems into a small electric food chopper and minced
> them well, then pre-cooked them in the microwave for 3 minutes to get
> out most of the water.
>
> To that I added 3/4 cup of ground beef, 1 stalk of minced celery (did
> that with the chinese knife), a little garlic powder, a dash of salt
> free lemon pepper 1 Tbs. of roasted sesame seeds and a handful of
> shredded jack cheese.
>
> Mixed that all well and stuffed it into the caps, just 'till it was
> rounded on top. It was just enough stuffing to do the entire lb.
>
> I then turned on the Hamilton grill and let it heat for 5 minutes or so.
> Placed the mushrooms into the grill, closed it and grilled for 10
> minutes.
>
> They were amazing......
>
> My housemate wants me to do that more often. ;-) Total prep time was
> maybe 10 minutes.
>
> Next time I think I'll top them with a little grated parmesan.
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
> Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Staycalm" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That sounds great but what is Jack cheese?
>
> Liz

Monterey Jack.

You could substitute any other cheese that you may like.
Mozarella or meunster would work, and I might try Havarti one of these
times for a real treat! :)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Staycalm" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > That sounds great but what is Jack cheese?
> >
> > Liz

> Monterey Jack.
>
> You could substitute any other cheese that you may like.
> Mozarella or meunster would work, and I might try Havarti one of these
> times for a real treat! :)
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack

Nicholson

I created a monster. LOL (evil laugh.......)

kili

In article <[email protected]>,
"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Staycalm" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > That sounds great but what is Jack cheese?
> > >
> > > Liz

> > Monterey Jack.
> >
> > You could substitute any other cheese that you may like.
> > Mozarella or meunster would work, and I might try Havarti one of these
> > times for a real treat! :)
> > --

> I created a monster. LOL (evil laugh.......)
>
> kili

You have indeed. ;-)

They might very well become a regular part of the menu since we both
love mushrooms, and these were SO easy to make using the grill!

Next I'm going to try doing this with portabellos. ;-D

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

> To that I added 3/4 cup of ground beef, 1 stalk of minced celery (did
> that with the chinese knife), a little garlic powder, a dash of salt
> free lemon pepper 1 Tbs. of roasted sesame seeds and a handful of
> shredded jack cheese.

Sounds great, but if I were making them I would substitute mild italian
sausage in place of the ground beef. I've never had stuffed mushrooms
with ground beef but the recipe sounds interesting and I may have to
try it this way.
Also, I never mince the mushroom stems and add them to the mix.

> > To that I added 3/4 cup of ground beef, 1 stalk of minced celery (did
> > that with the chinese knife), a little garlic powder, a dash of salt
> > free lemon pepper 1 Tbs. of roasted sesame seeds and a handful of
> > shredded jack cheese.

> Sounds great, but if I were making them I would substitute mild italian
> sausage in place of the ground beef. I've never had stuffed mushrooms
> with ground beef but the recipe sounds interesting and I may have to
> try it this way.
> Also, I never mince the mushroom stems and add them to the mix.

Ooh why not? :)
It's a waste of mushroom stems IMHO not to do that, and if you wilt them
down like I did, they don't take up a lot of room in the recipe. I had
just enough stuffing to stuff the lb. of mushrooms that I did.

I'd considered sausage, but the beef was in the 'frige already thawed.
<G> Mushrooms have such a light and delicious flavor of their own.

A little breakfast sauses might work as well.

This is also a low carb recipe. Some folks add breadcrumbs, but I did
not see a real need for it.

Cheers!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

> Sounds great, but if I were making them I would substitute mild italian
> sausage in place of the ground beef. I've never had stuffed mushrooms
> with ground beef but the recipe sounds interesting and I may have to
> try it this way.
> Also, I never mince the mushroom stems and add them to the mix.

If I may interject tersely....

Mix ground beef, mild Italian sausage in equal ammounts. Brown with,
fennel,garlic,a small amount of soy sauce. Add minced stems, and continue.
After browing, mix in bread crumbs and grated romano cheese and stuff
mushrooms 3/4 way,and place thin slice of mozzarella in cap. Fill caps, and
top with more bread crumbs,and grated cheese. When done the tops should be
browned and the Mozzarella melted. Anchovy may be used instead of soy sauce,
but this is getting obsessive/compulsive in my mind.
There are no measurements here..experiment and do it your way. It may take a
try or so to make it work for you.

Have fun with this,it is good.

Hubert

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > > To that I added 3/4 cup of ground beef, 1 stalk of minced celery (did
> > > that with the chinese knife), a little garlic powder, a dash of salt
> > > free lemon pepper 1 Tbs. of roasted sesame seeds and a handful of
> > > shredded jack cheese.

> > Sounds great, but if I were making them I would substitute mild italian
> > sausage in place of the ground beef. I've never had stuffed mushrooms
> > with ground beef but the recipe sounds interesting and I may have to
> > try it this way.
> > Also, I never mince the mushroom stems and add them to the mix.
> >

> Ooh why not? :)
> It's a waste of mushroom stems IMHO not to do that, and if you wilt them
> down like I did, they don't take up a lot of room in the recipe. I had
> just enough stuffing to stuff the lb. of mushrooms that I did.
>
> I'd considered sausage, but the beef was in the 'frige already thawed.
> <G> Mushrooms have such a light and delicious flavor of their own.
>
> A little breakfast sauses might work as well.
>
> This is also a low carb recipe. Some folks add breadcrumbs, but I did
> not see a real need for it.
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.

My 'recipe' was certainly not low carb, nor cholesterol free!...tastes good
though..:)

Cheers!

Hubert

My mushrooms are the reason my hubby proposed to me! (and probably the
reason for 20 extra pounds since)

Dont have exact measurements- usually having a good Chardonnay while
making them:

Stuffing:
fresh Italian sausage - or bacon (pre cooked)
blue crab meat
Mozzarella
Monterey jack
Feta cheese
Smoked gouda
lots of fresh garlic
fresh basil
half a bottle of Chardonnay (the other half!)
2 sticks unsalted butter (!)

I put all of that into my food processor and mix it- adding a little
salt and pepper. Should be "sticky" enough to hold together in a spoon.
Stuff the mushrooms and then sprinkle with more mozzarella and a little
more chardonnay.
When they are toasty on the top they are ready! I usually spoon a
little of the "sauce" from the bottom of the pan on to the shrooms
while they are cooking. Heavenly.

A.

In article <[email protected]>,
"hubert liverman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Sounds great, but if I were making them I would substitute mild italian
> > sausage in place of the ground beef. I've never had stuffed mushrooms
> > with ground beef but the recipe sounds interesting and I may have to
> > try it this way.
> > Also, I never mince the mushroom stems and add them to the mix.

> If I may interject tersely....
>
> Mix ground beef, mild Italian sausage in equal ammounts. Brown with,
> fennel,garlic,a small amount of soy sauce. Add minced stems, and continue.
> After browing, mix in bread crumbs and grated romano cheese and stuff
> mushrooms 3/4 way,and place thin slice of mozzarella in cap. Fill caps, and
> top with more bread crumbs,and grated cheese. When done the tops should be
> browned and the Mozzarella melted. Anchovy may be used instead of soy sauce,
> but this is getting obsessive/compulsive in my mind.
> There are no measurements here..experiment and do it your way. It may take a
> try or so to make it work for you.
>
> Have fun with this,it is good.
>
> Hubert

I think there are a thousand ways to stuff mushrooms. :)

And all of them are good...... ;-d
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"hubert liverman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > Sounds great, but if I were making them I would substitute mild italian
> > > sausage in place of the ground beef. I've never had stuffed mushrooms
> > > with ground beef but the recipe sounds interesting and I may have to
> > > try it this way.
> > > Also, I never mince the mushroom stems and add them to the mix.
> > >

> > Ooh why not? :)
> > It's a waste of mushroom stems IMHO not to do that, and if you wilt them
> > down like I did, they don't take up a lot of room in the recipe. I had
> > just enough stuffing to stuff the lb. of mushrooms that I did.
> >
> > I'd considered sausage, but the beef was in the 'frige already thawed.
> > <G> Mushrooms have such a light and delicious flavor of their own.
> >
> > A little breakfast sauses might work as well.
> >
> > This is also a low carb recipe. Some folks add breadcrumbs, but I did
> > not see a real need for it.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > --
> > Om.

> My 'recipe' was certainly not low carb, nor cholesterol free!...tastes good
> though..:)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Hubert

With low carbing, you don't have to worry much about cholesterol... <G>
'sides, modern research has proven that _eating_ cholesterol does not
raise your serum lipids. Your liver makes it in response to other items
in your diet.

Your recipe sounded delicious...

Cheers!
--

"Alexandra" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My mushrooms are the reason my hubby proposed to me! (and probably the
> reason for 20 extra pounds since)
>
> Dont have exact measurements- usually having a good Chardonnay while
> making them:
>
> Stuffing:
> fresh Italian sausage - or bacon (pre cooked)
> blue crab meat
> Mozzarella
> Monterey jack
> Feta cheese
> Smoked gouda
> lots of fresh garlic
> fresh basil
> half a bottle of Chardonnay (the other half!)
> 2 sticks unsalted butter (!)
>
> I put all of that into my food processor and mix it- adding a little
> salt and pepper. Should be "sticky" enough to hold together in a spoon.
> Stuff the mushrooms and then sprinkle with more mozzarella and a little
> more chardonnay.
> When they are toasty on the top they are ready! I usually spoon a
> little of the "sauce" from the bottom of the pan on to the shrooms
> while they are cooking. Heavenly.
>
> A.

Oh gods! <swoon>
This sounds heavenly!!!

I'd not thought about using a seafood mix!

I might have to try some chopped cocktail shrimps.
I also have fresh garden herbs I can mince.

Thanks!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "hubert liverman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

(did

salt

italian

mushrooms

> > > Ooh why not? :)
> > > It's a waste of mushroom stems IMHO not to do that, and if you wilt

them
> > > down like I did, they don't take up a lot of room in the recipe. I had
> > > just enough stuffing to stuff the lb. of mushrooms that I did.
> > >
> > > I'd considered sausage, but the beef was in the 'frige already thawed.
> > > <G> Mushrooms have such a light and delicious flavor of their own.
> > >
> > > A little breakfast sauses might work as well.
> > >
> > > This is also a low carb recipe. Some folks add breadcrumbs, but I did
> > > not see a real need for it.
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > > --
> > > Om.

> > My 'recipe' was certainly not low carb, nor cholesterol free!...tastes

good
> > though..:)
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Hubert
> >

> With low carbing, you don't have to worry much about cholesterol... <G>
> 'sides, modern research has proven that _eating_ cholesterol does not
> raise your serum lipids. Your liver makes it in response to other items
> in your diet.
>
> Your recipe sounded delicious...
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.

Thank You!

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of all this... If my liver
fails could I be called?

Hugh (sic) Mann...:)

( I hope so.)

Cheers!

Hubert

"Alexandra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My mushrooms are the reason my hubby proposed to me! (and probably the
> reason for 20 extra pounds since)
>
> Dont have exact measurements- usually having a good Chardonnay while
> making them:
>
> Stuffing:
> fresh Italian sausage - or bacon (pre cooked)
> blue crab meat
> Mozzarella
> Monterey jack
> Feta cheese
> Smoked gouda
> lots of fresh garlic
> fresh basil
> half a bottle of Chardonnay (the other half!)
> 2 sticks unsalted butter (!)
>
> I put all of that into my food processor and mix it- adding a little
> salt and pepper. Should be "sticky" enough to hold together in a spoon.
> Stuff the mushrooms and then sprinkle with more mozzarella and a little
> more chardonnay.
> When they are toasty on the top they are ready! I usually spoon a
> little of the "sauce" from the bottom of the pan on to the shrooms
> while they are cooking. Heavenly.
>
> A.

Yes Alexandra!

The cheese variants open up a whole new field,as well as the the results,of
using the proper ingredients. As my Italian Grandfather said....."Gargle
well with Muscatel". :)

Thanks!

Male chauvinist pig...

Hubert

In article <M%[email protected]>,
"hubert liverman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Alexandra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > My mushrooms are the reason my hubby proposed to me! (and probably the
> > reason for 20 extra pounds since)
> >
> > Dont have exact measurements- usually having a good Chardonnay while
> > making them:
> >
> > Stuffing:
> > fresh Italian sausage - or bacon (pre cooked)
> > blue crab meat
> > Mozzarella
> > Monterey jack
> > Feta cheese
> > Smoked gouda
> > lots of fresh garlic
> > fresh basil
> > half a bottle of Chardonnay (the other half!)
> > 2 sticks unsalted butter (!)
> >
> > I put all of that into my food processor and mix it- adding a little
> > salt and pepper. Should be "sticky" enough to hold together in a spoon.
> > Stuff the mushrooms and then sprinkle with more mozzarella and a little
> > more chardonnay.
> > When they are toasty on the top they are ready! I usually spoon a
> > little of the "sauce" from the bottom of the pan on to the shrooms
> > while they are cooking. Heavenly.
> >
> > A.

> Yes Alexandra!
>
> The cheese variants open up a whole new field,as well as the the results,of
> using the proper ingredients. As my Italian Grandfather said....."Gargle
> well with Muscatel". :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Male chauvinist pig...
>
> Hubert

Your grandfather was a very wise human...... ;-D
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Staycalm" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> That sounds great but what is Jack cheese?
>>
>> Liz

> Monterey Jack.
>
> You could substitute any other cheese that you may like.
> Mozarella or meunster would work, and I might try Havarti one of these
> times for a real treat! :)
> --
> Om.

We don't get anything called Monterey Jack here in Oz. I guess I'd use the
Mozzarella but what cheese is it most like?

Liz

Liz wrote:

> We don't get anything called Monterey Jack here in Oz. I guess I'd use the
> Mozzarella but what cheese is it most like?

Monterey Jack is a bit more flavorful and less rubbery than mozzarella. Edam
would be a fairly good substitute. So would Gouda.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
"Staycalm" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Staycalm" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> That sounds great but what is Jack cheese?
> >>
> >> Liz

> > Monterey Jack.
> >
> > You could substitute any other cheese that you may like.
> > Mozarella or meunster would work, and I might try Havarti one of these
> > times for a real treat! :)
> > --
> > Om.

> We don't get anything called Monterey Jack here in Oz. I guess I'd use the
> Mozzarella but what cheese is it most like?
>
> Liz

Monterey jack is pretty rich and creamy, so I'd say a close second would
be Muenster cheese. :)

Havarti would work, but it's creamier and softer so more difficult to
work with.

Cheers!
--

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Liz wrote:
>
> > We don't get anything called Monterey Jack here in Oz. I guess I'd use the
> > Mozzarella but what cheese is it most like?

> Monterey Jack is a bit more flavorful and less rubbery than mozzarella. Edam
> would be a fairly good substitute. So would Gouda.
>
> Bob

Hmmmm... Except Gouda is harder and smoky.
Jack has no smoky flavor at all and is slightly creamy.
A good _ripe_ mozarella, or even a goat cheese would work.

I've not eaten Edam?