Stuffed mushrooms revisited

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <M%[email protected]>,
> "hubert liverman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Alexandra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > My mushrooms are the reason my hubby proposed to me! (and probably the
> > > reason for 20 extra pounds since)
> > >
> > > Dont have exact measurements- usually having a good Chardonnay while
> > > making them:
> > >
> > > Stuffing:
> > > fresh Italian sausage - or bacon (pre cooked)
> > > blue crab meat
> > > Mozzarella
> > > Monterey jack
> > > Feta cheese
> > > Smoked gouda
> > > lots of fresh garlic
> > > fresh basil
> > > half a bottle of Chardonnay (the other half!)
> > > 2 sticks unsalted butter (!)
> > >
> > > I put all of that into my food processor and mix it- adding a little
> > > salt and pepper. Should be "sticky" enough to hold together in a

spoon.
> > > Stuff the mushrooms and then sprinkle with more mozzarella and a

little
> > > more chardonnay.
> > > When they are toasty on the top they are ready! I usually spoon a
> > > little of the "sauce" from the bottom of the pan on to the shrooms
> > > while they are cooking. Heavenly.
> > >
> > > A.

> > Yes Alexandra!
> >
> > The cheese variants open up a whole new field,as well as the the

results,of
> > using the proper ingredients. As my Italian Grandfather said....."Gargle
> > well with Muscatel". :)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Male chauvinist pig...
> >
> > Hubert

> Your grandfather was a very wise human...... ;-D
> --
> Om.

Yes, just another Italian immigrant that started out with a rented push cart
and parlayed it into a Brooklyn Brownstone Grocery. He was wise enough to
help send six of his eight children througn College. He was buried with his
citizenship papers and American Flag in his 'best suit' coat pocket next to
his heart. He kept a book for the neighbors that were short of food and
money. My Mother,Aunts and Uncles looked at the book that dated back to the
depression, and saw that those who could, would keep the book up to date as
possible. They closed the arrears book! The dollars etc. that came in to
settle accounts were spent for his wake and the entire neighborhood was
invited regardless of their contribution.

Good food, good gargle,good friends. Thats the way he wanted it.

Cheers!

Hubert

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
>

>>Liz wrote:
>>

>>>We don't get anything called Monterey Jack here in Oz. I guess I'd use the
>>>Mozzarella but what cheese is it most like?

>>Monterey Jack is a bit more flavorful and less rubbery than mozzarella. Edam
>>would be a fairly good substitute. So would Gouda.
>>
>>Bob
>>

> Hmmmm... Except Gouda is harder and smoky.
> Jack has no smoky flavor at all and is slightly creamy.
> A good _ripe_ mozarella, or even a goat cheese would work.
>
> I've not eaten Edam?

Gouda isn't smoeky unless it's smoked. most Gouda cheeses are sold
unsmoked. At least in my part of the world (Goudaland).

A favorite stuffed mushroom recipe that is sooo easy:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms

appetizers

1 pound crabmeat
2 eggs; beaten to blend
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons onion; diced
2 tablespoons bell pepper; diced
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
2 pounds mushrooms; stems removed
1 cup Swiss cheese; grated

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 9 x 12" baking dish. Combine first
ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon about 1
tablespoon crab mixture into each mushroom cap. Place in prepared
baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over. Bake until mushrooms are tender and
cheese melts, about 20 mins. Serve hot.

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Yield: 12 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00