GEARS: Help please

Someone

Guest
HI, I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me?

I have had this bike for about 7 months until the gears started messing up. The chain comes off if I
change gears sometimes/usually.

http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/show_collection.php?id=46338

There is pics right there, any suggestions on how to fix it? my guess is the chain is too long?

Thanks Nick

"Someone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> HI, I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me?
>
> I have had this bike for about 7 months until the gears started messing
up.
> The chain comes off if I change gears sometimes/usually.
>
> http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/show_collection.php?id=46338
>
> There is pics right there, any suggestions on how to fix it? my guess is
the
> chain is too long?

Your derailleur is bent to hell and back.

Bring it to a bike shop to have it fixed, and tuned. You may want to clean up that mess first.
Proper maintenance goes a long ways, and the guys at the shop will like ya better for it.

> I have had this bike for about 7 months until the gears started messing
up.
> The chain comes off if I change gears sometimes/usually.
>
> http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/show_collection.php?id=46338
>
> There is pics right there, any suggestions on how to fix it? my guess is
the
> chain is too long?

That's only funny if you're not joking.

Take it to a good bike shop; they'll help you straighten and sort things out.

"Someone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> HI, I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me?
>
> I have had this bike for about 7 months until the gears started messing
up.
> The chain comes off if I change gears sometimes/usually.
>
> http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/show_collection.php?id=46338
>
> There is pics right there, any suggestions on how to fix it? my guess is
the
> chain is too long?
>
> Thanks Nick

It's too dirty to adjust anything, After you clean it, read through this link and try making some
minor adjustments. If it doesn't help take it to a bike shop.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.

"Someone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> HI, I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me?
>
> I have had this bike for about 7 months until the gears started messing up. The chain comes off if
> I change gears sometimes/usually.

Convert it to a singlespeed.

JD

On 27 Aug 2003 00:00:28 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:

>"Someone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> HI, I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me?
>>
>> I have had this bike for about 7 months until the gears started messing up. The chain comes off
>> if I change gears sometimes/usually.
>
>Convert it to a singlespeed.

Do you have an autoresponder?

Don't you get a bit bored typing the same thing over and over?

Should everyone ride the same bike?

I see the point of singlespeed, and I understand the robustness and simplicity of it, but it's not
the answer to every problem :)

Regards,

Colin Swan Nildram Operations

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Colin Swan says:
>
> >Do you have an autoresponder?
> >
> >Don't you get a bit bored typing the same thing over and over?
>
> No more so than you get bored putting "Nildram Operations" as a sig on
every
> post. We know where you work, why do you persist in putting it in every
post?

So? JD's still a ******.

> >I see the point of singlespeed, and I understand the robustness and simplicity of it, but it's
> >not the answer to every problem :)
>
> In this case, it would solve the OP's problem nicely. Plus, this was the
first
> real humour

But it wasn't funny.

> we have seen from JD for a while.

For very extremely large values of 'a while'.

> ;-)

What are you grinning about you imbecile?

> Steve (turns off his sig when appropriate to do so)

'Randomly'

Shaun aRe - Grrrrr |:-|~

On 27 Aug 2003 11:19:46 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

>Colin Swan says:
>
>>Do you have an autoresponder?
>>
>>Don't you get a bit bored typing the same thing over and over?
>
>No more so than you get bored putting "Nildram Operations" as a sig on every post. We know where
>you work, why do you persist in putting it in every post?

Point taken, but I can't be bothered to change my sig every time I post. It's appropriate for a lot
of my posts, and it's not like it's a huge disclaimer or anything...

>>I see the point of singlespeed, and I understand the robustness and simplicity of it, but it's not
>>the answer to every problem :)
>
>In this case, it would solve the OP's problem nicely. Plus, this was the first real humour we have
>seen from JD for a while. ;-)

In this case, yes it would probably solve the immediate problem, but I think you have to *want* to
ride singlespeed :)

>Steve (turns off his sig when appropriate to do so)

Colin (w/o sig) At least I don't top-post :)

> >>Where can you see it's bent?
> >>

> > In the picture.
>
> Which picture? Whereabouts on the mech is the bending?

You don't see it? The cage looks to be pointing towards the wheel somewhat.

"Someone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> HI, I was wondering if anyone is willing to help me?
>
> I have had this bike for about 7 months until the gears started messing
up.
> The chain comes off if I change gears sometimes/usually.
>
> http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/show_collection.php?id=46338
>
> There is pics right there, any suggestions on how to fix it? my guess is
the
> chain is too long?
>
> Thanks Nick

Umm...ok , upon further inspection it appears one of the cogs has snapped in half!

http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/show_collection.php?id=46644 (if it says doesn't exist pls wiat a bit,
the photos need to be approved first)

so, could that be the problem?

Nick

deluxe model wrote:

>>>In the picture.
>>
>>Which picture? Whereabouts on the mech is the bending?
>>

> You don't see it?

No, which is why I asked the original question.

> The cage looks to be pointing towards the wheel somewhat.

I think that's just perspective, certainly the 'flat' images don't seem to show bending.

Admittedly, it's difficult to judge from those photos, what you really need is a photo taken from
the rear that shows the chainline.

> >>Which picture? Whereabouts on the mech is the bending?
> >>

> > You don't see it?
>
> No, which is why I asked the original question.
>
> > The cage looks to be pointing towards the wheel somewhat.
>
> I think that's just perspective, certainly the 'flat' images don't seem to show bending.
>
> Admittedly, it's difficult to judge from those photos, what you really need is a photo taken from
> the rear that shows the chainline.

Maybe it was an optical 'delusion'. When I first looked at the picture, I thought, "holy **** this
thing is fjvcked up"!

> Someone wrote:
>
> > Umm...ok , upon further inspection it appears one of the cogs has
snapped in
> > half!
> >
> > http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/show_collection.php?id=46644 (if it says
doesn't
> > exist pls wiat a bit, the photos need to be approved first)
> >
> > so, could that be the problem?
>
> I doubt it. I cut both of my jockey wheels in half to save weight and the shifting is flawless.

Dude - you need to throw those useless POS plastic things away _completely_ - no one needs that ****
getting in the way.

Shaun aRe

"deluxe model" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > deluxe model wrote:
> >
> > > You don't see it? The cage looks to be pointing towards the wheel
> somewhat.
> >
> > Looks like you were right: http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/photo.php?id=1073070
> > http://pics.sourmilk.org.uk/photo.php?id=1073071
> >
> That'll cause a missed shift or two.

So can anyone give me an 'deffinate' answer/solution to my problem?, looking at the pic of the
wheel from the back the wheel looks bent!?! Do I need new cogs?. How much do you think it will set
me back £ ?

Thanks Nick