OT: Lights done properly

LSMike wrote:
> http://media.engadget.com/videos/lights.wmv
>
> This is awesome!

Excellent. Must've taken a lot of programming to get that right. Makes a
change from the usual inflatable reindeer and snowmen (which will be
half-deflated by xmas eve). Puts our string of fairy lights to shame. Bet it
costs a fortune to run though!

I love, I absolutly love it.

Excellent no matter how many times I see it.

TR

Simon Bennett wrote:
> LSMike wrote:
>
>>http://media.engadget.com/videos/lights.wmv
>>
>>This is awesome!

> Excellent. Must've taken a lot of programming to get that right ...

Or more likely they took photos of various sequences of lights and
edited it together with the music.

Still a fantastic piece of work - really original idea - I love it!

--
Chris

Chris wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
>> LSMike wrote:
>>
>>> http://media.engadget.com/videos/lights.wmv
>>>
>>> This is awesome!

>> Excellent. Must've taken a lot of programming to get that right ...
>>

> Or more likely they took photos of various sequences of lights and
> edited it together with the music.

That would be harder than programming it!

I got a firewall warning from that, wanting to install an exe file

It reminds me of an old Mad cartoon; three houses in a row, the first
two similiarly OTT, and in the third a family sitting praying around a
single candle in their lounge; two passing pedestrians, one says "I
guess they're not very religious"

> Simon Bennett wrote:
>> LSMike wrote:
>>
>>>http://media.engadget.com/videos/lights.wmv
>>>
>>>This is awesome!

>> Excellent. Must've taken a lot of programming to get that right ...
>>

> Or more likely they took photos of various sequences of lights and edited
> it together with the music.
>
> Still a fantastic piece of work - really original idea - I love it!
>
> --
> Chris

Apparently, it's real...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/xmaslights.asp

I am, however, glad they aren't my neighbours. All that flashing would
literally give me a migraine...

Cheers, helen s

> LSMike wrote:
>> http://media.engadget.com/videos/lights.wmv
>> This is awesome!

The person who created it is an engineer; who would have guessed.

Inside Edition showed it a few minutes ago.

The big "tree" on the right that looks like a light beam being moved in the
video is arrays of mini lights like everything else. The videography was
much better on the TV version. You could see the individual lights in all
the displays.

There is a series of songs that he has sequenced.
The audio is not played outside, only on an FM transmitter so that people
driving by can hear it.
He also shuts it off at 10pm to give the neighbors quiet at night.

The hardware isn't difficult. I have a couple old A to D cards that have
enough digital I/O to handle the number of channels that it looks like he
has. I would need to add a stack of power modules (just plug them in)
between the digital I/O and the line voltage.
The software could be done even easier. It is just a table that you update
every time you want the lights to change.